Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
You're and Your. >.< Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kiwee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:36 am
That's one of the most commonly seen error on forums, I think.
People on Gaia seems to think that "your" is the all-purpose word that can be used wherever the pronunciation requires it.
Definitely one of my pet peeves, as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:37 am
Quite.
(PS; I love your sig. Completely truthful. )  

MadnessFreak

Akira Valdis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:34 pm
Your and You're, There Their and They're, Its It's...it all drives me insane! My mom's a bit of a grammar nazi, as my friends put it, and I got raised to respect the apostrophe...I just quietly sit by and deal with it when people use them incorrectly, unless they ask me to correct, but it still irks me.

But what really got me one day...was being one of about three people in my Honors English class to get this one analogy right. I mean...it's an Honors class...*Tears* Please! >_<*
Cat:Cat's:: It: Its. Almost everyone else put It:It's. Just because there was an apostrophe, rather than it being possessive. It's just one of those things for me...*Explodes*  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:18 am
At least they're not saying "ur"... *grins*  

-l- Eli -l-

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:18 am
Good point. That's where my Grammar Nazi-ism snaps.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:24 am
I've seen this mistake mostly with teens and adults whose first language is not English. Because of this, I've learned to be patient and explain how "you're" and "your" are supposed to be used. ^.^ It's fun, now that I think of it.

Personally, I've gotten "you're" and "your" mistaken before when I'm typing too fast on a laptop keyboard. But other than that, not really. whee  

Patron with a Mission

Kukushka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:16 am
It annoys me a great deal. Unfortunately, the more time I spend on Gaia, the more I see myself making mistakes like this. I actually wrote "it's" as the possessive of "it" the other day!

Seeing mistakes all the time can really mess with your internal sense of what "looks wrong."  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:45 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I see that constantly in some of the illiterate forums. It's annoying. scream

You can paint your life a rainbow of colors.

Shigures Editor

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:41 am
Kukushka
It annoys me a great deal. Unfortunately, the more time I spend on Gaia, the more I see myself making mistakes like this. I actually wrote "it's" as the possessive of "it" the other day!

Seeing mistakes all the time can really mess with your internal sense of what "looks wrong."

Uuuueeeggghhh...that must be horrible. I couldn't live with having bad grammar.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 pm
Every once in a while, I find myself making this mistake. It's not because of any cognition error, though: As I type, I tend to type words, and it's more of an issue of the wrong bit of "muscle memory" being accessed than anything. If I read over what I've written, it jumps out at me like any spelling error.  

MathBluster

Katsup737

8,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:44 pm
>< Yea...I think I've made it a habit to ignore those....I do tend to do that a lot though...I think it's because 'your' is shorter than 'you're' so people tend to pick the smaller words....including 'ur'... gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:08 pm
Or, There, Their and they're
like,
"i hate hem, there mean"
and just Grr.

PROBLEM pink pRiNcEsS

Lekonua

Wealthy Genius

5,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:59 pm
MadnessFreak
You're can never, NEVER be used to show possesion. It's basically saying this:
"You forgot you are glasses."

It's only a matter of remebering what the apostrophe is there for.

confused

That's right...

I forgot! I am glasses!

It all makes sense now...wait...no it doesn't...  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:23 pm
omiyashi0
I try so hard to use the two in their proper places. However, all my teachers have always told me that "you're" is a contraction, and can also be used to show possesion. "your" is another way to show possesion. My teachers have twisted my sense of grammar when it comes to that area. I'll write something like this; I saw my friend today, but he didn't have his glasses with him. I asked him, "Where are you're glasses?" My teacher, who told me that "you're" can be used to show posession, would count that wrong! I cannot figure out which one to use so that he won't count it wrong! I 'm going crazy over it!

I may be wrong, but I think what your teacher was saying is that some contractions can be used for possession. For instance, "Paul's ball" actually means "the ball of Paul" or "the ball that Paul has/owns". In this case 's is a contraction used to show possession. I don't think your teacher meant "you're" can be used for possession.

But then again, I don't know your teacher.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Jehceeca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:46 pm
I see that mistake ALL the time. Urks my nerve to no end. But then again, I'm guilty of doing the same at times when I type to fast and don't proof read it.
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I did it in another post just before this one in Book of the Month.
>.<"
Sorry in advance if I did use it in the wrong way.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff