Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Grammar And Artistic Talent: Is There A Link? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Natsuri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:20 pm
ARMAGEDDON12
Aubrey Nicole
SilverBellsAbove

Good art = not lazy = Good grammar. cool

That about sums it up!

Well, I have good grammar. But I can't draw at all. Well, I can but only to the semi-scetch stage. At that point it looks good. But after that point it does not. So there could be a link. But I do love art, and I study it.

So do I, although I can type up near-perfect sentences. I can't really draw for crap. sweatdrop Even if I can, they're crude at best. gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:27 pm
I do not believe there is a real link. I do believe that professional artists will take more care with their presentations so they may take some time to check over their spelling and grammar. However, most artists I know off the web have atrocious spelling and grammar.

Think of it this way, how many famous, truly amazing authors can draw a masterpiece?  

Lady Dracor

ImaginationRunningWild

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:45 pm
I must agree, I've never really thought of that. I think that there could be a sort of connection between the two. Although, while I can type out a sentence correctly, I'm not necessarily any good with grammar in school. Just when it comes to telling what part of a sentence is what and so on and so forth.

My DA Account I'll join the bandwagon.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:44 pm
Lady Dracor
I do not believe there is a real link. I do believe that professional artists will take more care with their presentations so they may take some time to check over their spelling and grammar. However, most artists I know off the web have atrocious spelling and grammar.

Think of it this way, how many famous, truly amazing authors can draw a masterpiece?

Rather many, actually. Gary Larson, anyone? Okay, his comic scenarios don't show his true talent, but seriously, you ought to see his more dedicated work.  

MadnessFreak

Lekonua

Wealthy Genius

5,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:17 pm
MadnessFreak
Just something I noticed over observation. I'm an artist (not professional, just a hobby) and naturally I have joined a lot of art sites. Of course there are always some bad uploads, but I have noticed one thing: people with better grammar seem to be better artists. I've never seen a crappy MSpaint drawing submitted by somebody with good grammar.
Is there a connection to the ability to talk well and the ability to draw and animate?

I believe there is a simple explanation for that.

The crappy MS Paint drawings are submitted by stupid noobish people who don't have anything better to do, let alone learn to type well.

The good artwork is submitted by those who wish to be taken seriously, therefore they use the best grammar/spelling they can to assure that their comments are understood.

"zomg i tihnk my drwing is betr thn urs becuz urz is teh suk!"

Vs.

I think my drawing is higher quality than yours because [list of well thought out reasons.]  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:59 am
SilverBellsAbove
Maybe, do a study on it, kid! You'll win A+ at any science fair!

Agreed!

Hmmm. I like to think I communicate well (in forms other than spoken word), and I've sold a few prints and commissions over the years, which means someone thinks I'm good at drawing. I have seen people whose work I can enjoy and in some cases respect (meaning their names used to get put on my kill-list as competition) who can't or don't type too coherently. Sometimes it can be chalked up to outside influence (i.e. you go out, have some beers, then decide to get sketchy, or you have some lethal head-cold), and in a number of cases the artist simply isn't that well-versed in English. In the latter case, good artwork means a lot, since if a piece is well-done, you don't always need a perfectly correct description of it to tell what's going on.

I'm rambling. Ah, well.  

Setsu-P has stepped out

Imaginary Tears

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:12 pm
I use proper grammar, and I'm semi-good at drawing. o-o My Photobucket account is Tea_Chan. Mind you, I'm only 12.

*cough*

I think I'll make a Deviant Art.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:07 pm
what do you consider art? I can't do art, as in draw it, but I do stagecraft work and make sets, design lights and do sound board work. I'm not the best at it, but I can do it! (( alright, so I can do sets fairly well. ))

would that count? sweatdrop

If not then I guess your theory doesnt apply to everyone.  

red_moon_wolfess

The_0ther_Account

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:31 pm
I am really not sure. It may not apply to everyone, because there could be a "not as great artist", like myself, that has acceptable grammer.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:23 am
Imaginary Tears: I never made a Dev.

red_moon_wolfess: Anything from mixing sounds to music to sculpting to drawing I consider art.  

MadnessFreak

Kukushka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:10 pm
I don't think that artistic natural talent is necessarily related to good grammar; but it stands to reason that the personality types that would be best at grammar are also the ones that would be best at art.

If you think about it, both take a great deal of work and practice. In both cases, it takes a dedication to presenting yourself and your work in the best light. At times, I think it takes a bit of a**l-retentiveness to seek out and correct mistakes to improve.

A person who takes no pride in what they produce, who doesn't care if it's sloppy, who feels that the simple act of production is more than enough is not likely to ever become a particularly good artist - or a particularly good speller.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:07 pm
MadnessFreak
Just something I noticed over observation. I'm an artist (not professional, just a hobby) and naturally I have joined a lot of art sites. Of course there are always some bad uploads, but I have noticed one thing: people with better grammar seem to be better artists. I've never seen a crappy MSpaint drawing submitted by somebody with good grammar.
Is there a connection to the ability to talk well and the ability to draw and animate?

Not for me, from what I can tell. I can copy things that are already draw with some competence, but when it comes to trying to draw something that's just been in my head, I can't seem to draw it out very well. At the same time, my art in writing isn't half bad, and I know that such a form of art is definitely affected by grammar.  

Shade Skypage

applecyder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:38 am
Lady Dracor

I agree with this comment. I don't believe there is a real connection between good grammar and good artwork. People can have both, one or none of those talents.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:26 pm
applecyder
Lady Dracor

I agree with this comment. I don't believe there is a real connection between good grammar and good artwork. People can have both, one or none of those talents.

This is an interesting topic; I never even considered it! I, too, have both artistic and grammatical abilities (I have also been told that I am a good writer) but I don't think the talents themselves are connected. It is more the personality type, as was mentioned before. We are, for lack of a better term, perfectionists who take great pride in our work and always put a lot of effort and care into it; therefore, it makes sense that someone who uses good grammar would also be an artist. 3nodding

By the way, applecyder, I love the spelling icon in your sig. rofl

Miko_Sohma

Chase Keyhole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:03 pm
I have good grammar and I've also been told that I draw well. I just don't like posting my work for the world to see. That's why I'm not in any arts guilds.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff