Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
My afternoon with a slang speaking person.... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I need to __________ to cure the upset that comes from hearing incorrect English.
  Listen to music!
  *takes out a sword* Why, kill him, of course!
  Hug me?
  Give me gold...and maybe your soul.
View Results

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:34 am
Pet names are fine...but...there comes a time when over usage may get to me. When is slang too much?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:38 pm
*twitches* Oh dear...That's pretty much what I have to deal with at my school. The guys dressed in suits talk like that while the rockers actually speak decent English. Frightening, isn't it?  

dark_moon_priestess

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:51 pm
It is rather ironic.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:38 pm
darkrose_eve
Ugh...that reminds me of 95% of my school. :shudders:

Very true. Sadly, my whole school seems to be a group of illiterate monkeys, who seem not even to know what the word "pleasure"...that's right, someone in my grade 11 english class didn't know the word PLEASURE!  

Mrkurosakie

Trancina

1,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:32 am
dameonmac5918
I walked into Music Appreciation class, but the teacher was missing. So I turned to the one kid who had shown up and he asked me where the teacher was. I answered that I had no idea, and that more than likely, the class was canceled. Since we have an exam coming up, he asked if I had the review. I told him that I did and we rode together to my dorm to go get it. Then suddenly, I noticed that the seat was too low and I looked to him.

He said: "You can raise the seat up, yo. That be the way my homie hangs out, you know the *%@, yo?"

I needn't say the rest of the conversation, because that's basically all he said through his small talk on the way. Since there are no visitors allowed in my dorm without ID, he had to wait outside. In the privacy of my dorm, I shuddered and put on Japanese music. It's more understandable than his slang. crying

I'm currently printing out the study guide trying to get the slang out of my head...not to mention the improper English...anyone got any advice as to how to deal with him next time?

You have my sincerest condolences, no one deserves to have their ears treated in such a manner sad  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:57 am
There's nothing wrong with a little slang now and then...
I talk in slang a lot but I have a real hard time writing in it. I figure as long as I know that I know how to speak and write correctly, then it's ok. I really don't care if people think I'm illiterate, I know I'm not razz .  

iMUFFIN HOAR

Red-Chocolate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:53 pm
This guy at my school uses 'dude' for everything. He uses it as a question, an exclaimation, a threat, and in between almost every word in his sentance. It drives me insane! gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:13 pm
MadnessFreak
Bring a gun. He who has no respect for others ears does not deserve genitilia.

I agree. =D  

Chase Keyhole

Once Was

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:07 pm
I do speak in 'slang' terms. Not to my teachers, well sometimes I do. But I know when it's not the right time for it. But I say dude, bruh, sweetness, dudette, gravy, mega-sweet. And every now and then I say 'yo'. If you don't know me it can be hard to understand what I am talking about around my friends, but other people follow it just find. I also say wham and bam. Even if I am talking to a friend about somethign serious I use it but I'm not "Dude you be kool and like go with the flow and all things be gravy." That was hard enough to write out and attempt to think. I use proper grammar, just chose to replace certain terms.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:39 pm
dark_moon_priestess
*twitches* Oh dear...That's pretty much what I have to deal with at my school. The guys dressed in suits talk like that while the rockers actually speak decent English. Frightening, isn't it?

"A recent study by Sussex University suggests that goths are likely to grow up to be doctors, lawyers or architects, and that goths are usually intelligent, refined and sensitive, and keen on poetry and books." -Wikipedia; article on 'Goth' in reference to the subculture.

In a sense, we can say this refers to no only the 'goths', but the outcasts of society (and the various subcultures). This group tends to be the keenest on all things proper. The individual who started this thread admitted to liking her Japanese music. That has already pegged her as part of a subculture. How many of us aren't part of the current poular culture? Answer this and we shall see if my opinion can be supported.  

Subservient Nonentity

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:28 pm
subservient_x_nonentity
dark_moon_priestess

"A recent study by Sussex University suggests that goths are likely to grow up to be doctors, lawyers or architects, and that goths are usually intelligent, refined and sensitive, and keen on poetry and books." -Wikipedia; article on 'Goth' in reference to the subculture.

In a sense, we can say this refers to no only the 'goths', but the outcasts of society (and the various subcultures). This group tends to be the keenest on all things proper. The individual who started this thread admitted to liking her Japanese music. That has already pegged her as part of a subculture. How many of us aren't part of the current poular culture? Answer this and we shall see if my opinion can be supported.

Wow...you raise a good point. ^.^ I do believe that most of us here are part of a subculture...a subculture that is so different, it currently defies the minds of experts both in sociology and psychology. Most of us in this guild, as I have observed, are from 14-25. This indicates that the younger generation may possibly be the ones to bring true change to the world...and it will be all because they are different.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:41 am
I didn't think you sounded like a snob at all. Sometimes you just have a bad day and people get on your nerves more than usual. I commend you for apologizing to him and treating him like a person. wink That takes balls to admit to someone that they got on your nerves for the way they talk without bashing them.  

Punkghoul

Praxling

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:13 pm
I know my reply won't actually apply to the question asked in the first post, but since it has already been answered, I don't think it'll be much of a problem. Hopefully.
I don't think I really mind slang use, as long as I can understand what the person is saying.
Haha, I'm just happy some people can use slang and pull it off.
I certainly can't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:47 pm
dameonmac5918
*bangs her head on the wall and cries*

I just came back from giving him the study guide...and he called me "homie."

crying I think I need a hug.

Oh my gosh, I feel so sorry for you! crying My cousin talks like that, too! I can't stand it!  

Chasmothyst

Shirtless Lunatic

Evelian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:27 pm
I have a friend who is an ex-philosophy, now theatre major at Towson State, who uses nothing but ebonics when communicating with anyone; be it teacher or student he is addressing . It's quite possibly the most ridiculous thing to hear him speak of the great existential philosophers as his "homies", and the stoics as "them stonefaced bitches right thur", as I'm sure you can well imagine. Not only does his improper speech make those of us listening want to cut ourselves, but due to the lack of proper syntax, many of the ideas he proposes are discredited and generally ignored.

Therefore, it's safe to say, that though those who use ebonics are not stupid, they appear so due to their dedication to conformity and general lack of antisocial apathy.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff