Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
ZOMG Silver's a knitting freak! Updated: 4-22-07 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:35 pm
AriRashkae
If you're hooked on knitting, I've got 3 archives of patterns for you:

LionBrand Pattern Finder (some free, some not)
Knitty.com
DIYNetwork knitting patterns

DIYNetwork has a knitted lace sampler shrug if you need a second one. wink
I already had lion brand pattern finder bookmarked. *adds other two to the list* I'll have to look at the shrug pattern. 3nodding Yes must look at patterns! Thank you for the pattern links AriRashkae! biggrin Can I call you Ari? xd

kamiyra
I broke the law? eek Somehow I managed to avoid any of those. sweatdrop It took me, like, four attempts (meaning periods of a week or so before I packed it away again) to figure out how to knit from online tutorials, but once I got it, I had no problems - maybe because I already crocheted like mad for years, so I was more used to keeping track of the yarn and what was and wasn't the right place for my hook to be going? neutral Purling is what gave me issues, till I ran into someone who could show me how it works and it clicked in my brain. To this day, it's gauging that does me in. gonk Especially when I'm like "oh crap, I need the size between this pair and that pair, cuz one's too big and one's too small. crying "

There's a few free patterns on www.knitpicks.com, including a loverly legwarmer pattern I want to knit up for my sis (who was whining that she couldn't wear the skirt she just shortened and be-laced because she didn't have any), and also a slew of cheap, super-nice yarns. I may just adapt the cable armwarmer pattern from lionbrand to make her legwarmers, though, cuz they're super cute, I think.

I could swear that I had more pattern sources, but I can't think of where. neutral Check your local library?
I have no idea how to gauge. I just keep going until it looks done. xd I'll learn to gauge one day. I go here when I can't remember/figure out how to make a stitch work. theknitwitch on Youtube She was a huge help figuring out how to purl. heart

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

First post has more of my adventures in knitting in it. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 pm
Libraries have tons of knitting books, well at least mine does.
I should know, I have to put all the books away!!

Anyhoo, if you think that's a big stash of yarn you're kidding yourself.
I have two tubs of yarn that I have yet to use.  

Minyaagar

Eloquent Lover

8,775 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 am
Minyaagar
Libraries have tons of knitting books, well at least mine does.
I should know, I have to put all the books away!!

I'll check out the local library for patterns. 3nodding

Two tubs? how big are they? Like the oversized tuperware kind? 5 gallon bucket kind? That's gotta be alot of yarn. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:46 pm
It's good to see your addiction progessing nicely. Yes, yes, you can't resist it can you? twisted LOL

My favorite sites to frequent for patterns and such are listed below.

-- Dishcloth Boutique -- This site has a lot of dishcloth patterns, but the same patterns could be applied in many different ways, so I reference it a lot.
-- KnittingPatternCentral.com -- there's just so many patterns to choose from here!
-- And of course if you ever get caught up and need to figure a stitch out,
KnittingHelp.com will guide you! Great site with videos of everything.  

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:53 pm
faeriebell
It's good to see your addiction progessing nicely. Yes, yes, you can't resist it can you? twisted LOL

My favorite sites to frequent for patterns and such are listed below.

-- Dishcloth Boutique -- This site has a lot of dishcloth patterns, but the same patterns could be applied in many different ways, so I reference it a lot.
-- KnittingPatternCentral.com -- there's just so many patterns to choose from here!
-- And of course if you ever get caught up and need to figure a stitch out,
KnittingHelp.com will guide you! Great site with videos of everything.
@_@ Cannot resist the knittingness @_@ *zombie mode* xd

Yes my addiction is progressing quite nicely. I'm nearly to the halfway point on the baby blanket I have 91 of 126 stitches on the needles now *knit knit knit yo knit to end repeat* It's such a calming/relaxing addiction. Yessss it issss preciousssss (pardon my insanity). 3nodding

Oooo More knitty patterns and a help spot! *bookmarks them* Yay! Thank you Faeriebell!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:27 am
Looks like you've been busy. surprised  

Volatile Rainbow

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:33 am
Volatile Rainbow
Just a little bit. I'm 26 rows away from the halfway mark on the baby blanket. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:47 am
Minyaagar

If you really want to hear stash stories, check out the books written by Stephanie Pearl McPhee (Yarn Harlot has the funniest story about stash)

I keep denying that I stash.

My roommate just cleaned the living room. He picked up everything that was his and when I came home there was still a big mess. He stared at me and said "You know, if there wasn't half a flock of sheep running around naked because of your yarn addiction this living room would be clean..."

Stash? I don't got no steenkin' stash...  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:49 am
Silver Sunrise
Volatile Rainbow
Just a little bit. I'm 26 rows away from the halfway mark on the baby blanket. xd

oooh, what colors are the blanket?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:05 pm
YourAzureGoddess
Silver Sunrise
Volatile Rainbow

oooh, what colors are the blanket?

rofl @ stash taking over living room.

It's pretty much just blue, the yarn has a little bit of white soft yarn twisted in. I'll take a progress picture and post it here shortly so all can see the glory of my addiction. xd

EDIT: *smacks imageshack around for being slow*
Here is my current progress on the baby blanket. 3nodding I like the results so far. (that's my daughter in the background watching sessame street xd ) Brighter (closer to the actual color) Darker (shows the white "sparkles")  

Silver Sunrise

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:06 pm
That will be lovely when you're done.

And your daughter's cute smile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:58 pm
rofl Welcome to Knitters' Anonymous!

And a word about Bernat Baby yarn - I made a blanket for my godson that was green yellow and purple. Well he's bout a year and a half old now and he refuses to sleep without it, but the purple has faded to pink sweatdrop So learn from my experience and dont use the purple! The green and yellow didnt seem to do anything so it was probably just that dye lot or something weird.  

gemini6184

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:27 pm
YourAzureGoddess
That will be lovely when you're done.

And your daughter's cute smile

Thank you. It's been fun to knit. :3
Thank she's 1 year old now. Just got back from her doctor's appointment. Poor girl had to get shots! crying Though she's happy and playing now.... and she's tried eating the bandaid off her finger from the finger p***k. >_> she's weird. Better stop now or I'll ramble on an on about her for hours.

gemini6184
rofl Welcome to Knitters' Anonymous!

And a word about Bernat Baby yarn - I made a blanket for my godson that was green yellow and purple. Well he's bout a year and a half old now and he refuses to sleep without it, but the purple has faded to pink sweatdrop So learn from my experience and dont use the purple! The green and yellow didnt seem to do anything so it was probably just that dye lot or something weird.
Ok no purple unless you want it to be pink after a few washings. I plan to wash the blanket once it's done (to wash off any dirt/dust it may have picked up while being made) I'll check for any fading then and give a warning to Leanna. *nod* Thank you for the heads up! I was tempted to buy the purple to make something for myself *loves purple* What brand yarns do you recomend?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:33 am
Yarn preference I have found varies according to knitter, and often what kind of project they're doing. My roommate has incredibly sensitive skin and is therefore a fiber snob out of neccessity. I prefer cheaper yarns because I'm on a budget. Try some out and see what happens! biggrin  

gemini6184

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:25 am
gemini6184
Yarn preference I have found varies according to knitter, and often what kind of project they're doing. My roommate has incredibly sensitive skin and is therefore a fiber snob out of neccessity. I prefer cheaper yarns because I'm on a budget. Try some out and see what happens! biggrin
So far I've really liked the feel of the bernet baby.

Except it's a b***h to untangle. stressed I had 113 of my 126 stitches on the needles, somewhere picked up an extra stitch, which threw the YO pattern around the edge off. gonk Long story short blanket was unraveled and yarn was rolled into a ball that tangled up, had hubby help untangle, thought it was good second ball tangled up, stayed up till 1:30 latnight untangling it, gave up and went to bed, finished untangling this morning. Now the yarn is wrapped around a basket handle waiting for me to make it back into a blanket. stressed Sooo frustrating. Before unravling to whole thing I tried to unravel stitch by stitch for the two rows I needed to redo. ended up dropping two stitches and getting an unrepairable ladder (not with my patience lastnight anyway). >_< It was quite annoying.

On the bright side starting over gave me a chance to fix the look of the starting corner. 3nodding And I won't be able to see Leanna and Kyle and the baby for a few weeks, plenty of time to get it done, seeing I got to where I was yesterday in three days. biggrin I'll keep you all posted on progress and stitch count. xd  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff