Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Gah, here's another so-called 'expert'... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:08 pm
I don't feel like she's compromising proper grammar at all. I think she's just presenting a different way to approach the issue. Maybe it's just my interpretation, but I don't think she's saying proper grammar *is* an "eccentric preference," merely that using such an excuse with someone may prevent you from coming off as having a "holier than thou" attitude. Notice that she also places punctuality under the umbrella of "eccentric preferences" to avoid an all-out conflict. Maybe her approach is a little passive aggressive, but I think it's a good way to at least begin addressing the problem, and then maybe you can take more drastic steps down the road.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:29 pm
Hmmm... how many people just here on Gaia prefer to not bother with proper grammar, spelling, punctuations, et cetera... and you guys get offended when you're called "eccentric" for preferring otherwise? wink

First (and therefore most common) definition from dictionary.com:

1. deviating from the recognized or customary character, practice, etc.; irregular; erratic; peculiar; odd: eccentric conduct; an eccentric person.  

-l- Eli -l-

AceDespara

Dapper Explorer

9,025 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:09 pm
Well, to me, an expert she is not. Courtesy is what gains the most respect and action. If one notices another has grammar which does not seem particularly correct and one wishes to bring that to the other's attention, then one must be polite. There are several ways to do this but really it depends on the type of person you are dealing with. Some people are just easily offended so it's hard to offer help or advice to them. But, having good grammar is definitely not eccentric. It's neccesary. How can one expect to get a decent job if one speaks like they have just learned the Englsih language? If you aren't foreign or have some sort of mental problems, you have no excuse for bad grammar. Of course, this is all my opinion, so I may be wrong.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:34 pm
chiyojo
Hmmm... how many people just here on Gaia prefer to not bother with proper grammar, spelling, punctuations, et cetera... and you guys get offended when you're called "eccentric" for preferring otherwise? wink

First (and therefore most common) definition from dictionary.com:

1. deviating from the recognized or customary character, practice, etc.; irregular; erratic; peculiar; odd: eccentric conduct; an eccentric person.

You're comparing us to the microcosm that is Gaia. Proper grammar is neither irregular nor erratic, nor is its appreciation. What is recognized and customary is that proper spelling and grammar are beneficial in society. Poor spelling and grammar skills attract lack/loss of respect in the business world.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:33 am
I tend not to directly assault people who irk me with their grammar. In fact, my aim is to make them learn the hard way: embarass them.

Class example #1:
This was on the UAQ (Ultimate Adventure Quest) forum. Yes, I play AQ.

NoSoul4Eva: does any1 know any gud armors for a lvl 70 that r cheaper than the nmp?

Me: You could start by purchasing Grammar Plate, which increases legibilty by 50% while reducing annoyingness by 20%. Available now, free.

NoSoul4Eva: Well i was thinking of necro but gp sounds nice too! ;D ;D ;D ;D

I copied the text above, which became my signature for all to see for about 2 weeks.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:58 pm
MadnessFreak
I tend not to directly assault people who irk me with their grammar. In fact, my aim is to make them learn the hard way: embarass them.

Class example #1:

NoSoul4Eva: does any1 know any gud armors for a lvl 70 that r cheaper than the nmp?

Me: You could start by purchasing Grammar Plate, which increases legibilty by 50% while reducing annoyingness by 20%. Available now, free.

I copied the text above, which became my signature for all to see for about 2 weeks.

LOL!! That freakin' awesome! Brilliant even!  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:43 am
Thanks. If I'm going to ruin somebody's s**t, I do it right.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:45 pm
MadnessFreak
Well, you definitely did it right!!!! xd Very clever!!! twisted  

The Lady Narcissa

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:50 pm
sigynsxdespair
MadnessFreak

He deserved it. I like him, but his grammar truly is crap.
And worst of all, he doesn't get the sarastic joke I made. He thinks I was being serious at the time.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:53 am
abarrach
MadnessFreak

Class example #1:

LOL!! That freakin' awesome! Brilliant even!

I second that. That's funny!  

The MoUsY spell-checker

The Lady Narcissa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:06 pm
MadnessFreak
sigynsxdespair
MadnessFreak

And worst of all, he doesn't get the sarastic joke I made. He thinks I was being serious at the time.
Wow; what a loser. lol  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:11 pm
sigynsxdespair
MadnessFreak
sigynsxdespair
MadnessFreak

Wow; what a loser. lol

Yup. But I sorta like him all the same, he's just slow on the uptake, I guess.  

MadnessFreak

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:09 pm
lol Oh my God, you should have just kept that in your signature forever. That is hilarious. lol  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:59 pm
She may have a point...  

s0prano42_x3

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:35 pm
Chase Keyhole
Blah... With some people, they are just not trying, it's not as if they don't know any better. Actually that's how it is with a lot of people on internet.

I say yell at them!

That randomly reminded me of something.

My friend once wrote, "Yelling is never the answer, I'll think I'll just go and kick 'em in the shins!"  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff