Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The things everyone, everywhere should know. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Imaginary Tears

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
1015 d4t5 fny du5 n 3 1 act1y u53 th!5 cr4p 101 i m3n 5r51y  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:04 pm
Wont vs. Won't
Wont: accustomed; used: She was wont to drum her fingers when anxious.
Won't: contraction of the phrase "will not": He won't come out of his room."

Cant vs. Can't
Cant: insincere, especially conventional expressions of enthusiasm for high ideals, goodness, or piety
((If someone can think of a sentence for this, I'd appreciate. I'm kind've braindead at the moment.))
Can't: contraction of the phrase/word "can not/cannot": I can't go to the party tomorrow!

To Imaginary Tears: That brought back horrible memories of my earlier days on the internet. sweatdrop  

chrystalclear

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:02 am
Good idea, MadnessFreak. I'll sticky this thread. May I suggest that you check through your post? There are some typos in there.

I'm pretty sure that the issue on whether full stops after quotations go inside or outside of the quote marks is a British English vs. American English thing.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 am
HOLY s**t STICKY!
Anyway, of course. My spelling isn't amazing.  

MadnessFreak

NuclearBatman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:04 pm
Indeed, indeed. There are a lot of mistakes made in grammer. Myself, I do have trouble with to, two, & too. I also make mistakes with there, their, and they're, but not as often.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:05 am
The most important rule in the universe:

GRAMMAR  

MadnessFreak

ramforce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:24 am
This is absolutely magnificent; Simple and effective.
I love this post!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:43 am
I personally think that one other important common mistake is left out:

People often say "me and my friend/mom/etc", as opposed to "my friend/mom/etc and I". I hear this every day and all over the place.

Also, one other thing: I have been taught that "a lot" is actually supposed to be two words, rather than just one word. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

l3viathan

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:56 am
1. Rephrase that into an easy to use guide and I'll add it.

2. Both 'alot' and 'a lot' can be correct, I believe.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:38 am
realitical
People often say "me and my friend/mom/etc", as opposed to "my friend/mom/etc and I". I hear this every day and all over the place.

It depends whether you're the subject or the object in the sentence. The subject is the one that is doing something, and the object is the one that has something done to it.

For example, "My mum and I went to the beach", but "My mum bought lunch for me and my sister".

An easy way to find out whether to use "me" or "I" is to think about what the sentence would be if the other people were not mentioned. In the first example, "I went to the beach" is correct, so "My mum and I went to the beach" is also correct. In the second example, "My mum bought lunch for me" is correct, so "My mum bought lunch for me and my sister" is also correct.

MadnessFreak
Both 'alot' and 'a lot' can be correct, I believe.

Are you sure that "alot" is correct? I can't find "alot" on dictionary.com, and Wiktionary says that it is "a common misspelling of a lot".  

The MoUsY spell-checker

l3viathan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:20 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
realitical

It depends whether you're the subject or the object in the sentence. The subject is the one that is doing something, and the object is the one that has something done to it.

For example, "My mum and I went to the beach", but "My mum bought lunch for me and my sister".

An easy way to find out whether to use "me" or "I" is to think about what the sentence would be if the other people were not mentioned. In the first example, "I went to the beach" is correct, so "My mum and I went to the beach" is also correct. In the second example, "My mum bought lunch for me" is correct, so "My mum bought lunch for me and my sister" is also correct.

Thank you for further clarifying that. I knew that "my mom/friend/etc and I" is not always correct, but I weren't too sure when it weren't.

As for making my suggestion into a simple guide, I admit that I am not good at making guides.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:36 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
realitical

MadnessFreak
Both 'alot' and 'a lot' can be correct, I believe.

Are you sure that "alot" is correct? I can't find "alot" on dictionary.com, and Wiktionary says that it is "a common misspelling of a lot".

I think it's one of these nationality-based things then.  

MadnessFreak

Hykiora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:03 pm
How about this one?

WOMEN - The word is plural! It should not be used when referring to one WOMAN.

When people say "She was a nice women" it irritates me to no end.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:47 am
Hykiora
How about this one?

WOMEN - The word is plural! It should not be used when referring to one WOMAN.

When people say "She was a nice women" it irritates me to no end.

Added.  

MadnessFreak

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:21 pm
MadnessFreak
EDIT: What the--unstickied? Have I done something awful?

I think it might be because you edited your post. You're not a mod, so you're not allowed to post stickies, therefore the thread isn't a sticky any more after you edited it.

To other mods: If that's not the case (that is, you took the thread down from the stickies), please say so.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff