What is your sexual orientation?
  Heterosexual
  Bisexual
  Pansexual
  Homosexual
View Results

a_sin_for_him

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:20 pm
I Don't think Homosexuality within the goth culture has anything to do with anything... It's like morbid_x_youth Said, It's just there! homosexuality in the Goth Culture is Neither Expressive or Repressive!..  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:08 pm
I haven't noticed much gothic art or literature with a male homosexual theme... or at least not overtly. It's pretty easy to find things with lesbian overtones, though. DeviantArt is filled with images of female vampires in what look like romantic pairings.  

Veruniel
Crew

DarkPhsycotic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:21 pm
deathcomes_onsilentwings
Now that I think of it, I think goth is more about heterosexual love then homosexual. That's strange.

I don't quite see why it is strange. when it comes to goth, love is not based on sexuality, but more on passion and eroticism. While it is true goths aren't really ones to judge on sexuality, I believe it is because
A) goths are more open minded to subjects that the mainstream society consider taboo.
B) Goths are usually criticized and looked down on by the mainstream society, and are misunderstood, thus they understand that homosexuals, and bisexuals are misunderstood.

Oh, and for the record, I am bisexual  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:41 pm
You all have very valid insights.

I suppose that expecting the Gothic mainstream to exhibit different trends than the general mainstream is somewhat ignorant, as well. Most people identify as heterosexual and that is unlikely to change simply by delving into a new subculture.  

Malakoi

Beatngufan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:24 pm
actually, there is quite a bit of the goth subculture in homo-erotic books, you just have to know where to look though  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:28 pm
^ for example: the two characters off of QAF Brain Kinney and Micheal Novetny are big fans of The Cure, and the fact that when Brian isn't at work, he usually wears a black shirt, other than that, that is as goth as Queer as Folk gets  

Beatngufan

Fux this account

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:29 pm
Love is love. Gender is irrelevant. Yes, gothic literature is predominantly heterosexually focused; but in life, each individual's soul is what interacts with its lover. The body itself should not be relevant.
I am a heterosexual, sadomasochistic male. My slave is my lover. My focus on her body is both out of love and out of lust. But I have confessed to her I've had urges to interact with other men. But my urges aren't of lust or passion, but of dominance. There are instances where I wish to bring a man to his knees...but I don't think that is homosexual lust.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:33 pm
DarkPhsycotic
deathcomes_onsilentwings
Now that I think of it, I think goth is more about heterosexual love then homosexual. That's strange.

I don't quite see why it is strange. when it comes to goth, love is not based on sexuality, but more on passion and eroticism. While it is true goths aren't really ones to judge on sexuality, I believe it is because
A) goths are more open minded to subjects that the mainstream society consider taboo.
B) Goths are usually criticized and looked down on by the mainstream society, and are misunderstood, thus they understand that homosexuals, and bisexuals are misunderstood.

What you're saying is true. I don't think I've met a single goth that has been repulsed by me being a lesbian.  

deathcomes_onsilentwings

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:52 pm
DarkPhsycotic
deathcomes_onsilentwings

That is a very valid point. I'm sure that a lot of us who dress in a very gothic manner fully understand what it is to be insulted and ostrasized based upon such a minor thing as, in our case, apperance.
Knowing this feeling, why would any of us want to make others feel hated for such a minor thing?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:46 pm
silence_after_death
Love is love. Gender is irrelevant. Yes, gothic literature is predominantly heterosexually focused; but in life, each individual's soul is what interacts with its lover. The body itself should not be relevant.
I am a heterosexual, sadomasochistic male. My slave is my lover. My focus on her body is both out of love and out of lust. But I have confessed to her I've had urges to interact with other men. But my urges aren't of lust or passion, but of dominance. There are instances where I wish to bring a man to his knees...but I don't think that is homosexual lust.

Well, few people are totally and without a doubt homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual (less than 10%, according to Alfred Kinsey)

Like me, I'm bisexual but I prefer other women. You're heterosexual but sometimes you have homosexual thoughts. It's very normal. I think the guys that make such a big deal out of being gay are confused because they have homosexual thoughts at times, too.

-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

starkespada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:11 pm
well im not gay but i have many gay friends  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:00 pm
Hephaistion Patroclus
Typically, Gothic imagery romanticizes heterosexual love and relationships, forgetting about homosexuality in general. Homosexuals are rarely represented in Gothic literature, music, or art.
Anne Rice has a few characters that are vaguely identified as gay and Poppy Z. Brite has written some rather explicitly homo-erotic material about her vampires but I believe these are the exceptions to the rule.

EDIT: Are there other examples of homosexuality in Goth literature, art, or music?
Do you feel that Gothic culture is more expressive or repressive of homosexuality?

i think that the whole vampire theme has to do with homsexuallity....there reallly intimate creatures...probably why i like them!!
and poppy z is the shiznet!!  

Shadow Nightshade

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:51 pm
sasorixd99
well im not gay but i have many gay friends

GAH, no one cares. REad the first post. That's not what this thread is for.

And, anyway, at least 30% of the members of Goth/DW/DR/etc. bands were gay. More were probably bi.

And there are more open gays and bis in the gothic subculture.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:57 pm
Come to think of it... I remember there being a lesbian relationship for the second half of "The Hunger"...

Another example of vampire lesbianism (as I've been told by a friend) is the novel "Carmilla"  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

mechanical kitsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:28 pm
never really considered my orientation... so i'm just like... meh... dont care if you like guys or gals as long as if you love who your with. which in todays public social culture, more people are in love with money.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff