Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Oxford comma: right or wrong? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a Grammar Nazi?
  Yes, totally
  Not really
  Poll whore!
View Results

sweetoof_11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:58 pm
I use the oxford comma, but only because I've been taught to do so. I suppose no one can really say whether using it is right or wrong. It depends on each individual's preference.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:14 pm
I don't think it matters either way. Whether you say "I like coke, ice cream, and cookies" or you say "I like coke, ice cream and cookies." The only difference is in the pausing. The Oxford comma adds a pause to the phrase and makes it a little slower while not having it makes the last part quite quick. Thus, I believe that both are acceptable, because they both offer a literary element that could benefit the author. For instance, at the end of a poem, I would use the Oxford comma to add greater influence to the list, however, if I was comparing a product and listing the different manufacturers, I would probaly leave it out in lieu of the fact that the maker isn't worth dwelling on, what matters is the comparison between the products.  

CCubed

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:33 pm
I use it, but either way is grammatically correct.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:21 am
I love commas, so I use it. As DarkElf27 posted, technically, it's grammatically correct with or without it. I like the way it looks personally.

Commas are fun. rofl  

Harimad-Sol Lin

s0prano42_x3

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:52 pm
I'm in favor of it, but over the years I've been told different things from different teachers.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:30 pm
H-E-I-N-O-U-S

The examples I always heard were:
-I like cookies, candy, cake, and ice cream. (Where each food is a different item.)
-I like cookies, candy, cake and ice cream. (Where cake and ice cream are one item.)

Of course, now that I think about it, it would be clearer to insert 'and' before 'cake'.

For the second example, where cake and ice cream is one single item, wouldn't you say "I like cookies, candy, and cake and ice cream"?

I would use the Oxford comma there, because "I like cookies, candy and cake and ice cream" just looks weird. But other than strange examples like that, I don't often use it.

Of course, with the example 'cake and ice cream', which aren't usually put together as one item, it's probably very confusing. I think my brain just blew a fuse. Sorry if this post makes no sense at all. I don't think well at night.

Aithera

Bladeglory

Shy Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:31 am
I know about putting a comma before "and" in a list, but I never knew it was called an Oxford comma. I don't think I've ever used this, but I guess I should try it, because it does change things a bit.  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:41 am
Roguemagus
I prefer the Oxford comma. It's comfortable, stylish and useful.

ACK.

In written language, yes. But spoken language need not put emphasis on the Oxford comma. That is, at least, how I would approach the matter.  

Natsuri

s0prano42_x3

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:04 pm
I just asked my boyfriend today. He said that the Oxford (capitalized?) comma doesn't exist. They did away with it because publishers didn't want to pay for the extra comma when publishing their millions of books.

...I still like it.  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:30 pm
I prefer the Oxford Comma. That's the way I was taught and one teacher once took me aside and told me I was incorrect. Whereas my other teachers will get peeved if you don't use it.

I just figure, it's like "I like tunnels, trains, bubbles, flowers, and goats."

Whereas if you put "I like tunnels, trains, bubbles, flowers and goats."

It seems to me as if the "flower and goats" part becomes one thing. That's the only reason I use it. That, and I feel it looks better.

EDIT: Also, I feel it works better if you're describing places that have an 'and' in their name. Such as "I like McDonald's, Wendy's, Ben and Jerry's, and Sonic."

Make sense?

Holy Smuckwaffen

Cherry Choo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:52 pm
Holy Smuckmuffins!
I prefer the Oxford Comma. That's the way I was taught and one teacher once took me aside and told me I was incorrect. Whereas my other teachers will get peeved if you don't use it.

I just figure, it's like "I like tunnels, trains, bubbles, flowers, and goats."

Whereas if you put "I like tunnels, trains, bubbles, flowers and goats."

It seems to me as if the "flower and goats" part becomes one thing. That's the only reason I use it. That, and I feel it looks better.

EDIT: Also, I feel it works better if you're describing places that have an 'and' in their name. Such as "I like McDonald's, Wendy's, Ben and Jerry's, and Sonic."

Make sense?

I agree with how the words seem to merge if you don't use the oxford comma, although I'm more comfortable typing a list without the use of it.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff