Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Goth Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

m a r l o w

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:27 am
In my opinion, I don't think the thread would survive.

For one, it would be constantly bombarded with "Pooseerrss!", "Gawf sucks!", or "Slipknot FTWWW I'm soooo Gawf!!". To this, you could reply in a calm serene way-- and get run over, or in a tough sarcastic way-- with which you might survive with.

Secondly, way to many of the thread inhabitants would be said "angsty goth kids"--- mainly because 90% of all "Goths" on Gaia slip into this catagory. (I don't wanna argue about it, but this fact, in my opinion, is so true its not even funny.)

Thirdly, there already is a Gothic Rock thread, "The Gothest Thread", and they will (not literally but quite probably) beat the crap out of you if you make an informational thread that mixes Gothic Rock and Goth fashion & makeup tips together or how Goth is a "lifestyle". And even if its all Gothic Rock, if you don't get your facts 100% straight, they'll beat you for that also. And if you talk about Germanic tribes, they will send you to hell. Well maybe not, but they are a brutal (yet fun loving) bunch at times and have been known for many a raids and bashings. So yeah, a warning for you. XD

Covering *just* the subcultures would be the wisest route to go, but be very careful with your information and who you lump together.
And very few informational threads survive in the chatterbox....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:04 am
I like that ED idea, GilAskan.

And I'll keep that in mind Marlow. o_O  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:01 am
GilAskan
If you thought of some real pertanent questions on the subject (i.e. "Why do you think goth has become so antagonized in popular society?"), you could put it in the Extended Discussion.

I think I know the answer to that....*says bitterly*  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:13 am
m a r l o w

For one, it would be constantly bombarded with "Pooseerrss!", "Gawf sucks!", or "Slipknot FTWWW I'm soooo Gawf!!". To this, you could reply in a calm serene way-- and get run over, or in a tough sarcastic way-- with which you might survive with.

Secondly, way to many of the thread inhabitants would be said "angsty goth kids"--- mainly because 90% of all "Goths" on Gaia slip into this catagory. (I don't wanna argue about it, but this fact, in my opinion, is so true its not even funny.)

Thirdly, there already is a Gothic Rock thread, "The Gothest Thread", and they will (not literally but quite probably) beat the crap out of you if you make an informational thread that mixes Gothic Rock and Goth fashion & makeup tips together or how Goth is a "lifestyle". And even if its all Gothic Rock, if you don't get your facts 100% straight, they'll beat you for that also. And if you talk about Germanic tribes, they will send you to hell. Well maybe not, but they are a brutal (yet fun loving) bunch at times and have been known for many a raids and bashings. So yeah, a warning for you. XD

Covering *just* the subcultures would be the wisest route to go, but be very careful with your information and who you lump together.

I agree with 'm a r l o w', the "subculture route" would probably be the best way to go. If you talk about the music/fashion people will just start bitching at you about how "being goth is just a music/fashion taste" and it can't be both. Then they'll all start arguing about how you're not "really goth" just because you dress goth, then they'll argue about what fashion is really goth, if you can be goth without dressing like that, and ten million other things that will gradually become further and further removed from your origional topic. You'll get all these conflicting opinions and you'll end up with another "what is goth?" debate thread. And if you make a mistake in your facts on an informational thread you'll be critisized for making a human error. Make sure you tell them that the information you are posting is open to revision and you incourage corrections if they feel a mistake was made.

This probably will happen, and I'm just giving an example. (The paragraph above does not reflect the opinions/views of XWraith_LordX. It is merely an example and is to be treated as such.)  

Henneth Annun
Captain

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:52 pm
XWraith_LordX
GilAskan
If you thought of some real pertanent questions on the subject (i.e. "Why do you think goth has become so antagonized in popular society?"), you could put it in the Extended Discussion.

[Marilyn Manson + Columbine + "The Craft" (movie)] x [Hot Topic + Mallgoths] x Ignorance of actual goth culture = Hatred of Goth  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:51 pm
GilAskan
XWraith_LordX
GilAskan

[Marilyn Manson + Columbine + "The Craft" (movie)] x [Hot Topic + Mallgoths] x Ignorance of actual goth culture = Hatred of Goth

What's the Craft? blaugh

And yeah... that would be the threads primary purpose.

Personally, I find it amazing that so many people on the internet think Slipknot and Manson are goth. I mean, who the hell started that idea anyway? And you'd think somebody would have told them what goth was by now ><  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:27 pm
ketchakik

that kind of all encompasing work is really better suited to a webpage rather than a thread on gaia

It seems like it would probably work out better that way, but if you want to make a thread, then go for it!

I like the ED Idea, and perhaps you could work off of that. However, I doubt putting the thread in the Chatterbox would do much good, as it would just get butchered up by n00bs there.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:35 pm
CrimsonThanatos
GilAskan
XWraith_LordX
GilAskan

What's the Craft? blaugh

And yeah... that would be the threads primary purpose.

Personally, I find it amazing that so many people on the internet think Slipknot and Manson are goth. I mean, who the hell started that idea anyway? And you'd think somebody would have told them what goth was by now ><

It's not just the internet. It's pretty much everywhere in popular culture. Hell, I've read respectable newspapers (which are supposed to have fact checkers) call Manson "The King of Goth" or "The Inventor of Goth", and more recently, MCR called "The New Kings of Goth".

And "the Craft" was a film from (if memory serves) 1996. It's about a girl who moves to Los Angeles and gets involved with a cabal of witches. The movie has been largely criticized for the stereotypes it put forth about witches and pagans, as well as the goth culture. Though it never directly (by name) references the goth culture, the main characters all wear variations on goth fashion. This lead to a common stereotype in the late 90's that goths were all pagans or witches, also attaching to goth the stereotypes about pagans and witches the movie put forth.  

GilAskan
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:41 pm
XWraith_LordX
m a r l o w

I agree with 'm a r l o w', the "subculture route" would probably be the best way to go. If you talk about the music/fashion people will just start bitching at you about how "being goth is just a music/fashion taste" and it can't be both. Then they'll all start arguing about how you're not "really goth" just because you dress goth, then they'll argue about what fashion is really goth, if you can be goth without dressing like that, and ten million other things that will gradually become further and further removed from your origional topic. You'll get all these conflicting opinions and you'll end up with another "what is goth?" debate thread. And if you make a mistake in your facts on an informational thread you'll be critisized for making a human error. Make sure you tell them that the information you are posting is open to revision and you incourage corrections if they feel a mistake was made.

This probably will happen, and I'm just giving an example. (The paragraph above does not reflect the opinions/views of XWraith_LordX. It is merely an example and is to be treated as such.)

Excellent point, certainly, but its hard to avoid even under the best circumstances. No matter how accurate, no matter how well researched and cited, no matter the specific focus, threads about the Goth culture always turn into "What is goth?" arguments, typically leading to:

Person 1: Goth is just about the music. Nothing more.
Person 2: I LUV MARILIN MANSIN!1!
Person 3: Goth is a state of mind, you posers.
Person 1: State of mind? That's prententious bullshit spread by people who aren't actually part of the goth culture but desperately want to legitimize themselves.
Person 2: I LUV SILPNOT!1!
Person 3: You don't know what you're talking about. You're just repeating what the media wants you to think. Stereotypes spread by people they benefit.

And so on, and so on, for eternity.

It's damn near impossible to avoid, as said, even under the best conditions.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:39 pm
GilAskan
XWraith_LordX
GilAskan

I award you a perfect score dear GilAskan.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:46 pm
GilAskan
XWraith_LordX
m a r l o w

Excellent point, certainly, but its hard to avoid even under the best circumstances. No matter how accurate, no matter how well researched and cited, no matter the specific focus, threads about the Goth culture always turn into "What is goth?" arguments, typically leading to:

Person 1: State of mind? That's prententious bullshit spread by people who aren't actually part of the goth culture but desperately want to legitimize themselves.
Person 3: You don't know what you're talking about. You're just repeating what the media wants you to think. Stereotypes spread by people they benefit.

Should we then create a section in the first post of this soon-to-be-born-sticky that talks about the different opinions of what goth truly is?

ex:
The Music Section....
The Fashion Section....
The State-of-Mind Section ....

Then we would end up with people arguing about whether they should have different sections or not. We should put a notice on the bottom of the post that says something like (in a nutshell):

If you're here to talk about the music, talk about the music. If you're here to talk about the fashion, talk about the fashion. If you're here to say how goth isn't a fashion, then don't post in this thread. If you have a bone to pick with the "goth-fashion" believers, carry it on in a different thread. You can make your opinions known elsewhere.

What do you think of that idea?  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:30 pm
I like GilAskan's idea of asking questions at the end. I'm trying to start a few more threads in the ED first, both for experience, and to get a bit more respect in there...  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

m a r l o w

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:58 pm
XWraith_LordX
GilAskan
XWraith_LordX
m a r l o w

Should we then create a section in the first post of this soon-to-be-born-sticky that talks about the different opinions of what goth truly is?

ex:
The Music Section....
The Fashion Section....

Then we would end up with people arguing about whether they should have different sections or not. We should put a notice on the bottom of the post that says something like (in a nutshell):

If you're here to talk about the music, talk about the music. If you're here to talk about the fashion, talk about the fashion. If you're here to say how goth isn't a fashion, then don't post in this thread. If you have a bone to pick with the "goth-fashion" believers, carry it on in a different thread. You can make your opinions known elsewhere.

Restricting could be bad, and saying it bluntly makes it worse.
You can't have "sections" in a Goth thread. People who like SLIPKNOOOTT!!11 will be there and they might hate people who like GOTHIC LOLITAA!111 who are also present and blah blah blah. Certain Goths have certain beliefs and in a thread were you're clearly going to be talking about Goth there will be a major clash of interest. (ex. state-of-mind vs. music)

This section thing would work in a guild, but not in a thread. And you'd have to make 4 threads to cover it all. Which I would NOT do.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:10 pm
m a r l o w
XWraith_LordX
GilAskan
XWraith_LordX
m a r l o w

ex:
The Music Section....
The Fashion Section....

You can't have "sections" in a Goth thread. People who like SLIPKNOOOTT!!11 will be there and they might hate people who like GOTHIC LOLITAA!111 who are also present and blah blah blah. Certain Goths have certain beliefs and in a thread were you're clearly going to be talking about Goth there will be a major clash of interest. (ex. state-of-mind vs. music)

This section thing would work in a guild, but not in a thread. And you'd have to make 4 threads to cover it all. Which I would NOT do.

Egh...your right. We should just drop the idea since it's almost impossible to make it work...I'm not asking you to make 4 threads, and no I wouldn't do it either.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:45 am
XWraith_LordX
m a r l o w
XWraith_LordX
GilAskan
XWraith_LordX
m a r l o w

ex:
The Music Section....
The Fashion Section....

Egh...your right. We should just drop the idea since it's almost impossible to make it work...I'm not asking you to make 4 threads, and no I wouldn't do it either.

There's also an issue of breaking it up so much, even if you were to present all the information in one thread. If you don't have a single objective statement about goth, people will pick it apart. Maybe two definitions are fine, but if you put up more than the major two, people will start asking "Well, if there's more than one definition, mine is just as legitimate: Goths are satan-worshippers/depressed/is a phase/etc."  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff