Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply SCA Guild
Do we say enough? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you Think we need more information on the title page?
  Yes!
  Yes! And I have some ideas ....
  No! We don't want new members.
  No! Just no.
  Now what is the SCA again?
View Results

Willow The Wanderer

Friendly Heckler

18,525 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:57 am
I think... I think this is an intrest based guild, not a recruitment office.
The frontpage has basic information, which is very nice.
What's an SCA? This is an SCA. Want to know more? check it out.
Simple and streight forward.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:09 am
The front page seems to spell out what we are and what we do pretty well. Part of the gaining of new members to this little corner of Gaia is simply exposure to the fact that there *is* a SCA Guild; a couple of my Gaia friends who also play in the SCA never knew this guild existed until I mentioned it to them a month or so ago. They're here now... 3nodding  

Nerienda

THE Great Mysterious inu

Shameless Exhibitionist

7,250 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:58 am
Kittywitch
LoneDuke
Kittywitch
I can't see how this could have offended.

I understand what you are saying. When you say mundane what do you mean by it?
A non-SCAdian. It's common parlence up here. Nothing more is meant by it, derogtory or otherwise.
I really didn't expect anyone to so much blink about it.

eek ...... redface sweatdrop I grew up in the SCA, and I use the word mundanes when I'm around another SCAdian as a derogatory for non SCAdians. But that's cause I don't get a long with the "normal" people.
xd I'm constantly getting slapped or a really dirty look from it too..  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:08 am
Ringbender
Some of the people who check it out will be familiar with RPG but have no clue this guild is part of a Live action RPG.

gonk gonk
This isn't really LARPing though. It's kind of a way of life. Well... sorta. But we aren't LARPers. Some are, but as a whole, we aren't. We don't go around shouting armor penalties and "Killing Blow ONE, Killing Blow TWO" and such like that.

Infact, I've been told that LARP is BASED off the SCA. LARPers use padded swords and hardly anything to protect themselves. (Weeeeeeeeeeeenies)

And we don't have "Quests" or "Adventures"

We have Themed Events and Pennsic, but none of that LARPing stuff. That and weird strange creatures are as far as I know, none existent.... unless you count OG and the um.... Yea them. >.< Um. The people at Pennsic who wear rabbit fur.... *waves hand*  

THE Great Mysterious inu

Shameless Exhibitionist

7,250 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • First step to fame 200

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:10 pm
THE Mysterious-inu
Infact, I've been told that LARP is BASED off the SCA. LARPers use padded swords and hardly anything to protect themselves.

Yes, it is. Down to the part you're supposed to be in personna at events. Isn't that roleplaying?
We don't play that we're fairies or mythical beings, because we're in a different game. In our game, we're all medeval people, and we take on that aspect and pretend to be that which we aren't. So there aren't any elves in the SCA. There aren't any... dire displacer beasts in GURPS, does that make it any more a roleplaying game than D&D?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:18 pm
Kittywitch
THE Mysterious-inu
Infact, I've been told that LARP is BASED off the SCA. LARPers use padded swords and hardly anything to protect themselves.

Yes, it is. Down to the part you're supposed to be in personna at events. Isn't that roleplaying?
We don't play that we're fairies or mythical beings, because we're in a different game. In our game, we're all medeval people, and we take on that aspect and pretend to be that which we aren't. So there aren't any elves in the SCA. There aren't any... dire displacer beasts in GURPS, does that make it any more a roleplaying game than D&D?

I agree! I am not sure how to express the feeling I get from the SCA over all other groups one may find playing in a park near your home. The SCA seems to be the adult version of all of them. It seems more of a study in the ancient ways rather than a replacement for them. One thing for sure the SCA was there first. There is a group which came from England to the US after the SCA but was older than the SCA.  

Ringbender

Eclyps Th1rt3en

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:44 am
Ringbender

Those who come to check out the SCA Guild are newbies. They know a little and want to learn more.

In my humble opinion, we can and should do more to gather new members. The SCA as a whole is dying from the lack of new members.

Ringbender Bear.

I am i guess a newbie, but i have been swordfighting with a large group of friends we call the imishin for years now, I heard about the SCA about a year ago and have been wanting to join ever since. and now that i am joining, i plan on bringing a lot of the imishin with me. with this group of people and the chain of assoiciation we have with people interested, i think that we can get many more people interested and joining the SCA. smile but i do agree, the homepage needs more info... comic's tend to catch a lot of peoples attention, so if we could put in some sort of comic or something to catch the eye, and follow it with more information about garb, and the skills you can learn, we may get a better turnout from the gaian populace. maybe even show small picture samples of things people have made, and of perhaps a big war.... do they allow video's put on guild home pages? if so, i would be able to throw together a cartoon or something....... anyways, those are my ideas.... yea, i know, i probably talk type too much... sorry.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:54 pm
THE Mysterious-inu
The people at Pennsic who wear rabbit fur.... *waves hand*

Could you mean the Tuchux, by any chance? They're not SCAdians; they are based off a sci-fi novel (can't remember which right now; I'll look it up later), but they share ground with us during Pennsic and join our battles on occasion. That's about the only connection we (as in both groups) have.

I personally don't think the Tuchux are "bad" at all.

Yea, and "mundane" is anyone and anything not SCA-related. If you know of the SCA, but do not participate in it, you are still a mundane; if you participate but are still new to everything, you would be a SCAdian (or, if you prefer, just a newbie). 3nodding

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200

(((rasberry~kimiko)))

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:39 pm
Sunegami
THE Mysterious-inu
The people at Pennsic who wear rabbit fur.... *waves hand*

Could you mean the Tuchux, by any chance? They're not SCAdians; they are based off a sci-fi novel (can't remember which right now; I'll look it up later), but they share ground with us during Pennsic and join our battles on occasion. That's about the only connection we (as in both groups) have.

I personally don't think the Tuchux are "bad" at all.

Yea, and "mundane" is anyone and anything not SCA-related. If you know of the SCA, but do not participate in it, you are still a mundane; if you participate but are still new to everything, you would be a SCAdian (or, if you prefer, just a newbie). 3nodding

...If I didn't have to look at them walking around half-naked every pennsic, I wouldn't either.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:03 pm
Seems this has turned into a question of semantics. As such, I'll insert my own two pence now.

Newbie: one who has expressed interest in the SCA and has made the effort to attend their first meeting, practice or event. Not an insult.

Mundane: all those who know nothing of or care nothing of the SCA, ignorance or choice, either way. Not an insult.

Naked: the term my shire uses to describe SCAdians in mundane clothing. Used good with good humor pretty much anytime two or more SCAdians are together, event or not.

LARP: yes, our events have many aspects of a LARP, but the SCA itself is not a LARP. It is the research and educational aspect (touted on the official web page) that sets us apart from a LARP. Yes, we have personas, but we do not enact full lives with them, as one does with a D&D, White Wolf or GURPS character. They are our personal basis for exploring the SCA, not a group role play. Don't get me wrong though; I do love rpgs and LARPS, so this isn't to insult either, just setting down my thoughts.

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers