Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
"You're to young" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever been told you're to young to (insert craft here)?
  yep
  nope
View Results

caffinated_tulip

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:51 am
I've had people tell me that I was "too cool" to knit. i've crocheted and knitted for a long time and aparently this is something reserved for the old or geeky...even though I am a raging geek. And besides, I can't think of anything cooler than being able to knit and crochet your own clothes!  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:04 pm
I always get the 'too young' from the cashiers at the Joann's and Michael's near my house. Mostly the conversaions go something along the lines of, Cashier:'Maybe you should start on somehting simpler for your first project.'
Me: 'My first project?'
Cashier: 'Well, when you begin sewing (crocheting/jewelry/etc) you should really start off with something simple and easy so you don't get to annoyed with it.'
Me: 'I've been sewing (crocheting/jewelry/etc) for at least twelve years I think I know what I'm doing. BUt thanks anyway.'
Cashier: 'You can't have been doing that for that long your only twelve or thirteen.'
Me: '.....I'm almost nineteen. Thanks.'

Yeah, it's been interesting. But on the other hand I've gotten some sewing jobs working with others who are older than me who then complain that the young person gets the hard stuff when they can't possibly be ready for it. It also helps that I can back it up with pointing out the fact that I got a scholarship for sewing/costume design/construction from my work.  

Lexi Marie

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:59 pm
*raises hand* More often here I get the "WHAT are you DOING?!" thing, though.

But it's inevitable. It'll be a long, long time before Knitting stops being associated with the elderly.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:57 pm
I mostly get reactions at school like "whoa! is that knitting?" and "wow!". I haven't had any incidents (that i can remember) where anyone told me i was too young. I'm in high school now and i've only brought my ccrockeing to school a couple of times.

Personally, i think its pretty rude to go up to someone and say something like "aren't you too young for something like that?" There's no age requirement. Its one of the things I consider fun. Just because they haven't seen many people my age do things like knit and crochet doesn't mean that its meant for older people. Its like playing a sport. Its fun, and there isn't an age limit.  

hyper_azn_girl

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:43 am
I usually just get the "OMG RLY? U KNIT?" that seems to be pretty typical from anyone who doesn't. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:01 pm
People on my school bus called me "grandma" because I always knitted while I was waiting for the bus, and on the ride. I usually get people amazed, thinking they could never do it. I recently made an bag with Aran - style knitting, and thought it was very easy to make, while most people who see it are amazed. Sure, the cables took some time, but they're very easy for me. I like to do cables or knit socks in public just to confuse people.  

ladyleprechaun13

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:12 pm
caffinated_tulip
I've had people tell me that I was "too cool" to knit. i've crocheted and knitted for a long time and aparently this is something reserved for the old or geeky...even though I am a raging geek. And besides, I can't think of anything cooler than being able to knit and crochet your own clothes!

I've never been told I was to cool to crochet. xd But I have been called cool because I can. (Normally by small children, under the age of 10 or so- but I so say it counts!).  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:40 pm
Silver Mist
caffinated_tulip

I've never been told I was to cool to crochet. xd But I have been called cool because I can. (Normally by small children, under the age of 10 or so- but I so say it counts!).
I've had little kids want me to teach them, and then not be able to do it at all.  

ladyleprechaun13

Hotaru Tobutakai

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:07 pm
When wielding my 4 DPNs like the mad leet knitter I am, no one dares call me 'young', 'uncool', or anything derogative at all.

twisted  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:39 pm
I've been crocheting and cross stitching since about age 10, with no problems. I don't think there is an age limit. I say if you're interested in crafts, by all means craft away.

Though trying to learn something when you're too young can be frusterating if your hands aren't dexterous enough. I know because the first time I tried to learn to knit I couldn't get the hang of it and it made me so upset. I finally figured out knitting, but not until many years later.

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400

ShyBFly

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:57 pm
I've been cross-stitching since I was about 10 and I usually get older people telling me how to do things. Like cording or lazy susans. Even French knots! I don't know how to tell them that I can do all of these stiches in my sleep, so I just stand there and stare at them while they explain it. rolleyes One time my boss insisted on looking at my project, which I finally brought to work just for her, and she then proceeded to criticize almost everything I had done! My french knots were too small, the crosses were pulled too tight, she just kept going! ---oops, I guess I got a little off topic. Sorry... redface  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:53 am
I think we should offer to stab the next person who says we're "too (fill in the blank) to craft" with our pointy needles, hooks, or whatever we're crafting with at the time. twisted It might just shut them up.
I was sewing when I was a teen but I didn't learn to crochet until I was 26 and I'm trying to find time to learn to knit at age 36. I've also dabbled in making bead jewelry though the years. Cross stitch might be the next craft I learn just because I like the pictures you can make with it. Except for sewing, I've had to teach myself out of books and magazines, but it was well worth it.
I'm not too anything to craft because I am a crafter!

*rant over*  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:44 am
ForestGreen
I think we should offer to stab the next person who says we're "too (fill in the blank) to craft" with our pointy needles, hooks, or whatever we're crafting with at the time. twisted It might just shut them up.
I was sewing when I was a teen but I didn't learn to crochet until I was 26 and I'm trying to find time to learn to knit at age 36. I've also dabbled in making bead jewelry though the years. Cross stitch might be the next craft I learn just because I like the pictures you can make with it. Except for sewing, I've had to teach myself out of books and magazines, but it was well worth it.
I'm not too anything to craft because I am a crafter!

*rant over*

And war that was won with bamboo hooks began with an innocent comment.... xd (those suckers can be pointed!)  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:24 pm
faeriebell
I've been crocheting and cross stitching since about age 10, with no problems. I don't think there is an age limit. I say if you're interested in crafts, by all means craft away.

Though trying to learn something when you're too young can be frusterating if your hands aren't dexterous enough. I know because the first time I tried to learn to knit I couldn't get the hang of it and it made me so upset. I finally figured out knitting, but not until many years later.

I had the same problem with crochet. They tried to teach us in Girl Scouts when I was about 10 or 11, and I just couldn't do it. It took me until I was 21 to really get the hang of it. lol  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Fionamule

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:49 pm
My family is art oriented so i was never told I was too young to do anything (except to use the torch my dad had to make jewelry, but thats a given).

I teach (mostly kids 7-14) to do all sorts of crafts from tye dye to knitting and embroidery to batik. Its more fun teaching kids because they havent been told no enough yet and are more accepting of being creative all the time.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff