Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
IDK, My BFF Jill? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Purpleheart

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:19 pm
It's really annoying, although I do think that it sends out a good message; that kids shouldn't use chatspeak or they'll constantly talk with it, like that.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:36 pm
BrOkEn_____HeArT
The scary thing is I've seen the commercial so much I memorized it...
Daughter is blue.
Mother is red.

"Becky!"
"Wu?"
"Your phone bill, that's what's up. What's with all this texting?"
"Omg, Inbd."
"It is a big deal. Who can you be texting 50 times a day?"
"Idk. My bff Jill?"
"Tell your bff Jill I'm taking away your phone."
"Tisnf!"
"Me paying this bill, that's whats sn...f!"

Me too!
And whats worse, I actually do use a fue txt-otlo (Txt-Out-Louds)
brb, for one, and I consitally say OMG.

I'm a disgrace. sweatdrop  

JessiDlux93

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:49 am
I do the same exact thing.

crying  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:11 am
All I can ever think of when I see that commercial is That mother actually lets her child speak txt-tlk?! I'm sorry, but speaking txt-tlk is like cussing in front of me. My child will not do it.

And then I can tell myself my child never speaks it, because I don't hear it, and live in blissful ignorance. xd  

Harimad-Sol Lin

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:31 am
xd 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:51 pm
I actually love this advertisement--I crack up everytime it comes on, and believe me, it comes on often. ^^

I like many agree with no txt-talk, and acronyms annoy me to no end. Especially when I hear students going around saying 'Lol' as if it's a word.

But this ad is definitely believable. It's not that the mother wants her daughter to speak like this, nor does she wish to learn this silly craze. But like many parents, when a child uses something enough, the parent will soon know it too. It's similar to the word 'duh'. When I was younger, I remember continuously using this and my mother caught on after a few dozen times concerning the use of this phrase. Afterall, if she wanted to make a comeback, she had to understand in the first place.

Also, it's not as easy as it sounds to stop someone from doing something they obviously enjoy doing. To parents, it's more often than not, a passing phrase--or so believed. We'd all like to hope our children really won't continue this fad and so, instead of stopping it, we allow them to go about with it until they sooner or later 'grow' out of it.  

Kohy

blueturnsgrey

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:33 pm
I saw that commercial. My mother understood more of it than I did.

And my brain almost imploded on itself.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:16 pm
Text talk just gives me brain explosions. It's horrific.  

Natilly

Sister_Lenore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:58 pm
The commercial reminds me of a time in time in my life when I did nothing but chat online. For months, my friends and I spoke in actions and punctuation marks.

Example:
Friend: Can I come over?
Me: Well...Question mark. I don't know. I think I'm still grounded.
Friend: Tears up. Man!
Me: Sighs. I know.

I know...It was a sad...Sad time in my life. Very sad.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:12 am
I've seen it and that commercial annoys the ******** out of me. I just simply cannot stand it. Ugh. The horrid text talk....  

l3viathan

l3viathan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:16 am
Yami no Hitokiri
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

Thankfully, I don't watch much TV, so I haven't seen it.

What really bothers me is cell providers encourage people to use text talk. I don't see why, since text messages charge per message, not per character in the message.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I don't watch TV either since I despise it, but a friend of mine watches it all the time when I'm over her house, so that's how I saw it. But yes, I hate it how cell phone providers encourage text talk as well. It really pisses me off. I hate how this country is lacking in literacy these days, and it's only growing worse.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:43 pm
My crush uses texting for almost half of her life... but she writes everything out, for that I'm grateful.

For me, I don't use texting, I'd rather just call.

I haven't watched TV for quite some time, considering the fact that the TV is facing a support beam inside the garage for remodeling purposes.  

Zealot of Insanity

Mundi Rosa

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:40 pm
Contrary to the normal response, I laughed my head off when I saw that commercial. Or should I say: Lmao?

Also contra-normal, I've had the ability to use text messaging frequently. The problem about speaking with correct grammar in a text message is that each meassage is all of 160 characters long. Which is amazingly little-you'd want to get as much typed into one message as possible so as to not waste message space.

And no, I'm not an in the closit txt tlkr.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:23 pm
I laughed so hard. My mom tried saying all that, and I laughed at here.  

Anarkus Infernus

clarissaisonfire

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:44 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

Thankfully, I don't watch much TV, so I haven't seen it.

What really bothers me is cell providers encourage people to use text talk. I don't see why, since text messages charge per message, not per character in the message.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

...I text pretty much constantly, and with the exception of things such as "prolly" or "I'mma" I speak with correct grammar....
So they aren't really encouraging it.
The media is, not the providers.
Teens respond to stuff like that because they think it's cool to "tYpe lyk dis omfg rofl lmao"....  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff