IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:07 pm
Think of positives.
Celebrity gossip, in normal situations it's basicly useless.
But when you are bored out of your skull it's sometimes amusing and makes people think you have some idea about things going on XD
For several months I didn't have regular internet access and I could spout so much of that crap it was something XD
Thank you, VH1  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:19 am
IY_and_MCR
Think of positives.
Celebrity gossip, in normal situations it's basicly useless.
But when you are bored out of your skull it's sometimes amusing and makes people think you have some idea about things going on XD
For several months I didn't have regular internet access and I could spout so much of that crap it was something XD
Thank you, VH1

Thats one way of looking at it....  

Devils_lilboy

Katanas Blade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:10 pm
I don't see why its such a big deal when a celebrity does something 'regular' people do every day, like get drunk. It's a huge event if, say, jessica simpson got drunk. But if someone here at home got drunk, no one would care? whats the difference? theyre both intoxicated. one's face is just pasted over all the media.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:53 pm
i think the celebs deserve thair privacy...they don't need people knowing whether they get a ticket or not.  

Lady Nasia Estelle

Laharl Part Deux

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:25 pm
XWraith_LordX
Laharl Part Dux
I've trained myself to tune out all the buzz about celebrities. This is because I've come to realize that as long as people want to listen, the media will keep on putting it out. As for real news, I read and watch with an object mind. That is I watch the stations that are most likely to give me an unbiased report. Same goes for what newpapers I read.

It makes a big statement about our country when more people listen to celebrity gossip than world events. It really speaks to the igorance of the general public. Which I think is the one of country's biggest problems.

Some of them listen, but do they care? No. The average person just isn't going to buy a cup of cofee and strike up a conversation about the genocide in Darfur with the nearest person. Maybe it's because they think that they can't do anything about international events, or if they don't see how it effects them directly or in a large enough way, why bother with the event at all? Maybe they don't care enough to make a difference or think they can't so they don't even try.

As for what you said in the second paragraph, it does speak. It speaks of how we care about the life of one person who entertains us at the cinema every three hours and that we don't give a damn (or care less) about the ten thousand people being slaughtered out there, or the issues that could make it so that none of us live to go to that cinema ever again....
I still stand by my statement: most average people want to hear about celebrities. It takes them out of their mundane boring lives, and into something fantastical and flawless. They live vicariously through celebrites as a means of escape. So in saying that as long as they majority wants to hear gossip they will get what they want. Why? Because it means money for the media.
I understand most people don't talk about world events. I think this is due to both apathy and ignorance. So I agree with you that some people don't care and don't feel like they can do anything about it. Although this is because these events seem unreal to them: they don't know about it or have seen what is going on. If they knew more about the subjects they would be more empowered to join the cause. For instance, going back to the genocide in Darfur. Most of the kids in our school had no clue it was going on, until some of the students started up forums and protests. It was amazing how many kids we got to come to the rallies after bringing the issue up.

As for my statement it was rehetorical, it didn't need an answer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:45 pm
In history someone brought up Darfur, and someone said "Wait, there's a genocide going on! eek "

Apparently you can't become involved in anything political at my school (flyers, paphlets,demonstrations...), or I would have done a number of things about certain issues long ago.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas