Wicca &quot;Equal&quot; Oppertunity? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:19 am
Good to see that, I say. Dont' recognize the author, but then, I haven't been able to make my trips to B&N to read the New Age section books in quite some time. (sniffles) This is a great thread by the way. Kudos to all its participants thus far.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:29 am
Christo Minaverus
He claimed that most people shun the God because of the fact that they didn't like the fact of him being the main god of Christianity and how by emphassising the Goddess they were losing the God.

That's the part that mystifies me- in what sense do the Wiccan Lord and the Christian YHWH share complete identity? Why do they get lumped together? O_o It's just kind of silly- even if one acknowledges that the Wiccan Deities are believed to be the underlying principles behind all other pantheon's gods, that's still just one facet. There are goddesses in other pantheons which totally contradict the basic attributes of the Wiccan Goddess, as well, and probably a few who are downright bitchy to boot.  

WebenBanu

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:13 am
WebenBanu
Christo Minaverus
He claimed that most people shun the God because of the fact that they didn't like the fact of him being the main god of Christianity and how by emphassising the Goddess they were losing the God.

That's the part that mystifies me- in what sense do the Wiccan Lord and the Christian YHWH share complete identity? Why do they get lumped together? O_o It's just kind of silly- even if one acknowledges that the Wiccan Deities are believed to be the underlying principles behind all other pantheon's gods, that's still just one facet. There are goddesses in other pantheons which totally contradict the basic attributes of the Wiccan Goddess, as well, and probably a few who are downright bitchy to boot.
Enclosed in the pagan pantheon are a number of quite nasty deities. Cromm Cruaich for instance, as far as I know is just downright evil. Celtic god of death, demanded human sacrifice daily. I'm allmost scared to go on a journey to meet him. The Morrigan can alo be very mean should you get on her bad side, and many people believe she is an evil goddess. Being a goddess of war, death, and fertility doesn't exactly endear you to many people.

On the other hand, many people see the crucifiction of Jesus as a reanactment of the ancient patern of the God who sacrifices himself for the people. Only instead of sacrificing himself for the crops and such, it was the spiritual well-being which jesus died for.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:00 pm
After all this, I have determined that I am going to write a book on Wicca when I am older (maybe in my 30's). When I do write it, I'll make sure to upload it to a super-secret password-protected website. Than I'll give out the password here and you guys can read it and make suggestions.

So all of us can be happy.

Or... Maybe a few of us could get together and write a few chapters each? That would be a good idea. So it would be a group effort to make all of us happy.  

Siofra Da`Halbria

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:48 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Enclosed in the pagan pantheon are a number of quite nasty deities. Cromm Cruaich for instance, as far as I know is just downright evil. Celtic god of death, demanded human sacrifice daily. I'm allmost scared to go on a journey to meet him. The Morrigan can alo be very mean should you get on her bad side, and many people believe she is an evil goddess. Being a goddess of war, death, and fertility doesn't exactly endear you to many people.

On the other hand, many people see the crucifiction of Jesus as a reanactment of the ancient patern of the God who sacrifices himself for the people. Only instead of sacrificing himself for the crops and such, it was the spiritual well-being which jesus died for.

I wouldn't say that any particular god or goddess is evil in and of themselves. To be frnakly honest, as a Wiccan I can't. What I will say is yes, there are a number of Pagan deities who have a very dark side to them. But, I would dare say most of them do if you look hard enough. Being a god of death or war has nothing to do with it, as both were, and are, very necessary and accepted parts of life. To shy away from such deities simply because their domains include death or war is to miss out on a chance to grow as a Pagan. As for the human sacrifices daily, again, there are a number who fall into the same category and "demanded" sacrifices. However, some of that I really wonder if it wasn't simply interpretation work on the parts of the priests who decided that it had to be human on a regular basis.

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff