Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Is misspelling "cute" to some? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Achmeds Queen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:00 pm
My pet peeve in this department is IMAO. I only found out what that meant today and It's been annoying me for a while now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:54 am
What does it mean? confused  

Nicotine Queen

Organic Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:15 am
Well, "LMAO" means "laughing my a** off" but I don't know "IMAO" means.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:38 pm
To be honest, I never really looked at it that way.
So, I have no clue.
But good point.
><#

Emilem

Quotable Dabbler

6,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100

applecyder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:34 pm
Alabang
In some cases, I believe it to be true. Take the misspelling of the word "the", for instance. For some reason, they seem to think that by misspelling it as "teh" they're being cute or cool.

'TEH' is the most common case of attempted cuteness that I've seen.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:51 pm
Hahaha... I just think it's funny.  

s0prano42_x3

Fuujin-chan

Sparkly Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:05 pm
People must find it adorable. My older sister misspells things a lot, spelling never was her best subject. But for some reason people flock around her online. A lot of them have a crush on her. gonk

When I talk to her friends, they think i'm a smartass or something and avoid me. I don't say anything when they get all "do u need help???? i can take u 2 the npc" on me. (yes, I play a few MMORPGs.)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:27 pm
Please visit my deviantART!
It appears to be the case in today's culture. If you type "you" with three letters instead of one, you are popular and likable, and speaking with correct grammar makes you a stuck-up brat.
Awesome artists that you should check out

Anavis

Tezur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:32 am
Vivika von Mott
Please visit my deviantART!
It appears to be the case in today's culture. If you type "you" with three letters instead of one, you are popular and likable, and speaking with correct grammar makes you a stuck-up brat.
Awesome artists that you should check out

Why a stuck-up brat? That's discrimination in my opinion. neutral  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:00 am
It appears that the general population does indeed believe that misspellings are cute. I disagree, in most cases. When creating a screen name, spellings, whether correct or not, can be an expression of personality. However, when in general discussion, I find it quite irritating and a reflection on someone's learning and/or their attitude.  

Amaya84

Dead Momiji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:00 pm
In most cases, I find that incorrect spelling bothers me. Sometimes I correct my friends but most of them time I'm talking to a literate friend at the same time so I'm not around the text talking alone very often.. I think that makes me a bit more accepting of spelling issues. neutral

Does that make sense or am I just a loon?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:17 am
Dead Momiji
In most cases, I find that incorrect spelling bothers me. Sometimes I correct my friends but most of them time I'm talking to a literate friend at the same time so I'm not around the text talking alone very often.. I think that makes me a bit more accepting of spelling issues. neutral

Does that make sense or am I just a loon?

A loon! Nah, only kidding. rofl

There's a difference between misspelling by mistake and on purpose. I can understand that if you are dyslexic or have some sort of learning difficulty it can be discomforting (I know plenty who are like that). I just hate it when someone misspells on purpose to get attention. It can really offend and even unexpectedly corrupt those who are bullied around. What I mean by that is if you "txt tlk" for fun, someone who is disadvantaged can follow.  

Tezur

Dreaming in the Theatre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:42 am
Eh, wouldn't call that "cute" per se...

Well, if we're talking about attention-grabbing errors,

Quote:
HOWZ THIS LAWLZ.

I guess the route used by these sorts of people is to grab attention or make fun of someone.

For me, if the person always types like that, they can just fall off the planet.

I know some people randomly capitalize.
Quote:

yaaaAAAaaY!

Now, I'm not sure if it's a keyboard issue or a random type of self-expression, but I think that's kinda cute.

Better than...

Quote:
dIiS sOrT oF tYpIng!

...And what's with the replacement of "th-" with "d-"? -_-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:47 pm
vindicated_angel
Eh, wouldn't call that "cute" per se...

Well, if we're talking about attention-grabbing errors,

Quote:
HOWZ THIS LAWLZ.

I guess the route used by these sorts of people is to grab attention or make fun of someone.

For me, if the person always types like that, they can just fall off the planet.

I know some people randomly capitalize.
Quote:

yaaaAAAaaY!

Now, I'm not sure if it's a keyboard issue or a random type of self-expression, but I think that's kinda cute.

Better than...

Quote:
dIiS sOrT oF tYpIng!

...And what's with the replacement of "th-" with "d-"? -_-

Heh. rofl Good question. You can't figure out that one... rolleyes  

Tezur

l3viathan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:13 am
I intentionally misspell things sometimes when I'm in a good mood. Such as 'teh'. (I know, I'm going to be shot here. ) I use 'rawr' a lot though, and I think it's just those two I use.

But some intentional misspellings, however, really piss me off. Such as 'moar'. I cannot stand 'more' being misspelled as 'moar'. I don't know why, but I just seriously cannot stand it and it annoys me the most out of all the other intentionally misspelled words.

I guess I have my own style of typing, or saying things, but I also type things out and use correct grammar (or at least I try to from what I know). People can usually tell it's me by the way I write actually. I guess everyone has their own style of writing. This probably doesn't make sense though, and I cannot explain it. *Shrug*

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff