Welcome to Gaia! ::

Absolute Furry the Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's Oldest Furry Guild 

Tags: Furry, Furries, Anthro, Anthropomorphic, Roleplay 

Reply Art / Writing show and exchange!
:: Ily's Roost -Check the NOOZ for secret plotting! >:D :: Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mimblex

Clean Pal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Well~ I had to think for a bit, but the only white bat I know of is the tent-building bat, or Honduran white bat. Adorable little cotton balls, those guys. :'D They build little tents out of big tropical leaves by eating away part the leaf's main structure-vein, so it flops in half like a tent. I read about them in a book when I was little too, oddly enough, though I don't recall anything on nectar (or being diurnal, for that matter). XD;  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:49 pm
Maybe it's a different species, but cute sounding none the less. XP  

Chupi the Terrible

Mimblex

Clean Pal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:16 pm
They sleep in clumps. :]
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
One on the top's all "hayguyz". :y
Ehehe, sorry for the uber-slow postage. I be drawing. Anyway, so i herd u leik lizards. I do as well~ but then again, I'm mad about most all animals. Still, I love scales much more than the average lady. <3 Thus, my personal character HAD to be half-lizard. Hooyeah. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:55 pm
All is well, I'm all over the place right now. *Scratches chin.* Huh, I'm rather curious as to where you heard the lizards thing, it's surprisingly accurate, seeing how vage "reptiles" is and how most people interested in herpetology or herpeteculture are all about snakes. And it's weird, I'd never seen any feathered raptor furries up until last month, and now I've seen about three or four. ... Wait, inaccurate statement. I mean I'd never seen any with them as their main personification before recently.  

Chupi the Terrible

Mimblex

Clean Pal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:08 pm
Mh, I don't know how lizards in particular popped into my head when you mentioned reptiles. I think it has to do with the subconscious connection I have between xenomorphs and lizards themselves. XD They've always struck me as lizard-insects, I like it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:14 pm
Ah. XP Very nice guess, then. I study herpetology as a hobby, but specialize in lizards and turtles. Then I've raised lizards since around the time I started school as a wee little burster. Mainly anoles up until the eighth grade, however. Currently inhabiting my room are an Australian water dragon I got during my freshman year in high school, a green basilisk I got in the eighth grade, (My first non-anole.) and a Sudan plated lizard I adopted in my sophomore year of high school. Stumpy (The plated lizard.) really should be dead, considering his age. He's at least 10, but he's still got a hell of a kick to him. XP  

Chupi the Terrible

Mimblex

Clean Pal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:25 pm
Lizardss~ I had a green basilisk several years back, he was lovely. I've had quite a variety of reptiles in the past, including chameleons, desert tortoises, a ball python I *loved* in kindergarten - he would sleep around my wrist as I colored things. XD I've got a leopard gecko back in Washington where I last lived, under the care of my mate. I had given up on pets before getting the gecko with, him, though. A short while back, I came to the jarring realization that each of my pets' untimely demise or sporadic abandonment was due to my parents' decisions (who equally as randomly would get the pets to begin with). As I was with my mate all was fine, but now that I'm back where I was, ily is animal-less. :'D  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:30 pm
Aw. @_@ And my basilisk would be a female, and quite the b***h. XP Her name's Morgan, the water dragon is Schizo. Care to give a little insight on what your pets were like? I've had a lot more, even took care of two snapping turtles for a while. Except, I gave them up because I didn't have the space for their future sizes and spacial needs.

At the moment I've decided to stop getting pets until I'm finally out of my parents' house with a good job. And even then, I intend to stick with a few of either the same species or ones that can be housed together when it comes to lizards. Maybe a Russian tortoise and another pet or few depending on whether or not I wind up living by myself or not. Because there's only so much you can responsibly get pet-wise when on your own.  

Chupi the Terrible

Mimblex

Clean Pal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:51 pm
I'll just reptilebabble, I've had WAY too many pets to talk about them all. :'D
Sunny was my first reptile, a desert tortoise I had when I was about 4 or younger. I was thoroughly convinced that Sunny could talk. As I would feed him lettuce, I would be so completely engrossed in staring at this huge awesome THING, that I wouldn't notice my dad speaking for him in a slow, tortoise-y voice. XD So, the only real memories I have of him is carrying his almost-as-big-as-me body around and having conversations with him as he ate. :B
Sometime after that was Spike, a horned lizard. My neighbor at the time had a horned lizard as well, since our dads had gotten them simultaneously. we would have to wander out to the scrub brush to catch red ants for them to eat, which was ridiculous, looking back. I got bitten all over, and I was about 5. eventually Spike got sick and his own food began to attack him, so my dad let him go at a nearby park. (gg dad. Way to introduce the native species to all the diseases he had. :B)
Then was Monty, the ball python. As I said, he would literally hang with me as I colored and made forts and did generally kindergarten-ish things. He was incredibly docile, and I loved him more than any other child or person I knew at the time. Yeahh, he was soon sold by my mother, who caught sudden ophidiophobia by hearing some horror stories by one of her church friends. I didn't know until he was gone.
Much later, there was Karma the jackson's chameleon, who was too slow for his own good. Any sudden movements at all would stress him out incredibly, so of course my parents ended up selling him damn quick, because he wasn't as fun as they thought he'd be.
Then along came Spork, the basilisk. Loved that lizard to bits. <3 He went through quite the gender issues, as I was told by several "experts" that he was first a she, then a he, then a she, then finally a he for good, as his second crest grew in. XD Spork was crazy and loved to jump on heads, and could get easily spooked by people he didn't know, upon which he would promptly piss. At night he would jump about his massive screen enclosure to no end. I didn't sleep much those years. He was never hostile to anyone though, and once he calmed down, he was pleased with anything.
His demise was one of the more horrible of all the pets I've had. My parents forced him outside by a unanimous decision, since his water pond made my room "muggy". Come a sudden winter to southern California as I was away visiting, Spork died of hypothermia and neglect since I was not there.
That is why I no longer keep pets in this house.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:54 pm
Oh, and I forgot to mention Lacuna, the leopard gecko I have now~ :'D Well, that my mate has, rather. We got her a few months ago, and she isn't the brightest pop-tart in the box, if ya know what I mean. She has no sense of gravity whatsoever, and will walk right off of whatever surface she's placed upon. Handling is always done over some form of cushion. XD She also has the tendency to stare at and charge things that are not there. I loves 'er. ♥

aaand, bedtime for ily. :3 Nice chattin' with you!  

Mimblex

Clean Pal

Katzekinder

Worthy Seeker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:58 pm
*headbutts ily* I tried to PM you but it was all "FRIENDZ ONLY LOL".

Wanna to a Nart Trade? :B  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:15 am
The Spork scenario sounds all too familiar. XP We went through the same thing with Morgan, except reversed when it came to sexing. We finally found out she was most definitely female when she became three, and laid a clutch of unfertilized eggs. Now she does that annually. >_> Really, the loss of all those guys sounds like quite the pity. You're parents aren't the brightest of people when it comes to animals, are they? sweatdrop

Unfortunately, Morgan is more the vicious type. She's rather skittish but calms down after being held for a bit... But her ferocious nature never leaves, as she'll chomp down on you the instant she gets a chance. Schizo is more the type to not enjoy initially being reached for, but is completely fine with being handled once he's been picked up for a few seconds, and then Stumpy is very mellow with just about anything, so long as he's full... But if he's hungry, he'll literally go after my 90 pound dog like she's food. XP (He's only about a foot long.)

Considering Morgan and Schizo practically got no handling what so ever when young, they're actually pretty good with it now. Alas, not being able to handle your lizards and tame them... 'Tis an unfortunate side effect of growing up in a trashed house with four cats and parents who b***h at you if you put a towel on the floor to seal up the gap between it and your door. There simply wasn't a safe oppurtunity to even try. >_O (I didn't have my own room until half way through high school, so it was constantly trashed with garbage from my siblings and parents alike. I say parents simply because the floor was covered in literally inches of maimed children's books that they never let me just throw out because they were convinced somebody still wanted them. Not a friendly environment for letting little three-four inch baby lizards run around in.)  

Chupi the Terrible

Mimblex

Clean Pal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:52 pm
lul, lizards. <3 Speaking of morgana's spontaneous egg-laying, I discovered upon buying lacuna that some gecko species can reproduce asexually, one in particular being a species in Australia that is completely female - and all exact clones of each other. Oh, found an article! biggrin Man I love geckos.

Katzekinder
*headbutts ily* I tried to PM you but it was all "FRIENDZ ONLY LOL".

Wanna to a Nart Trade? :B

Hoiii, I have no idea why my mail was set to that. XD *re-sets* At the moment, though, I'm rather art-swamped with Nothing of Importance Whatsoever (IE, just tons of stuff I'm trying to get finished for my own benefit/delight. Character designing a whole fleet of critters and such. D: ) Soo~ if you want, I could do a sketch trade, but nothing more than that. You have your art up anywhere that I could look at? :3  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:00 pm
Mm... Parthenogenesis, a noticable amount of reptiles and amphibians can do it. I could have sworn there was a species of skink that did it, but now I can't find it... But there's also the New Mexico whiptail, and some new events people are using to suggest Komodo dragons have the capacity, but will always create a clutch of males when doing so. But basically, it's happened twice in captivity. Oddly enough both times in the same year, 2006... But we've been watching Komodos and keeping them in great conditions for decades, so personally I think they need to spend a hell of a lot more time researching it before just jumping to these big conclusions. confused I mean, goats on rare occasion will create a female clone of the mother through parthenogenesis, but it's just a birth "defect" and not something most can do. But you didn't see people leaping to the conclusion that it was a Universal capacity when that was first discovered. Or rather, first confirmed by the scientific community.

EDIT: The original link was the first google result, but I scrolled down a bit and grabbed a better one that contained more details and even a picture.  

Chupi the Terrible

Mimblex

Clean Pal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:04 pm
'EY. If goats can do it, I can do it. *lays eggs* > biggrin
True though, we only know so much about all the other species on Earth. Yet, as humans have always acted, if we see it happening to one, it must be true for all of them, right? Yeahh, just how racism started. :y  
Art / Writing show and exchange!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff