Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Smilies amongst words...Trend or tragedy? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KingKidd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:13 pm
Smilies are useful in some cases, but not when used similar to:

Quote:
OMG LOLLOLLOLLOL rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl pirate wahmbulance ninja heart wink 3nodding xd redface redface crying crying stare emo rolleyes exclaim mad LOLLOLLOL ME SO FUNNY OMG ROFL OMGOMGOMG ROFL emo wahmbulance dramallama cheese_whine burning_eyes

On a much more postitive note, check it out:
ninja pirate Pirate ninja!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:33 pm
It is very annoying if someone were to overuse smilies in sentences. But smilies are also very useful in expressing facial expressions in messages.
I can't help but to use: 3nodding
at the end of a sentence when agreeing with someone, just thanking them, or being plain happy.

Shygoddess

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:47 pm
When used sparsely and wisely, they can impart emotional content that can't be done with text in the same amount of space. I like to get creative sometimes, using expressions such as D8 (a right-tilted smiley) or ^^ (Cute eyes). I don't like the yellow interrupting the white and black of the text, but sometimes I use the yellow ones anyway 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:20 pm
Oh, I dunno.

I use them a lot myself...

Well... Not a LOT, but... yeah.

I use ellipsis dots much more than I do other things....

Smilies.

Unless I'm PMing my friends, then because of my nature, I'm pretty much expected to uses smilies every half- word, or just use smilies instead of text.

'Course, they aren't the normal smilies: " biggrin ; sweatdrop ; rolleyes " like that, they're more like: " xD; :KKK " or " User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. "

Yes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, as a side note, for all those who wish to see my name in Arabic:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Dancing_in_pink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:12 pm
I tend to use them at the beginning or ends of sentences. For me that's fine.

Once they are excessivly used in sentences, I deem the person "lazy" for only using those rather then words.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:54 pm
KingKidd
Smilies are useful in some cases, but not when used similar to:

Quote:
OMG LOLLOLLOLLOL rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl pirate wahmbulance ninja heart wink 3nodding xd redface redface crying crying stare emo rolleyes exclaim mad LOLLOLLOL ME SO FUNNY OMG ROFL OMGOMGOMG ROFL emo wahmbulance dramallama cheese_whine burning_eyes

On a much more postitive note, check it out:
ninja pirate Pirate ninja!

That's a ninja pirate. mrgreen

I hate the drama llama. I feel like smacking it around with a caveman club.

Then again, those who overuse any kind of smiley should have some sense smacked into them.  

applecyder

joannemily

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:18 am
The occasional smiley is forgivable, but I prefer the use of XD and XP, etc.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:18 pm
I use smilies to set the mood of my statement. For instance.

blaugh I use smilies to set the mood of my statement. This way, it's big and happy - cheerful!

I use smilies to set the mood of my statement. 3nodding This way, it's cute and a little smug.

sad I use smilies to set the mood of my statement. This way, it's more like complaining, trying to justify myself.

stare I use smilies to set the mood of my statement. See? Sulky.

See what I mean?  

Fallen Glory

[ Echoing ][ Palaver ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:43 pm
I use smilies, sure...

However, I don't use them each post or a lot- and dislike it when other people do so.. :3

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff