Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read it?
  YES! *holds up book as the light of the gods beams down upon it*
  Never will.
  I'm in the middle!
  Give me the gold and no one will get hurt.
View Results

Lily-Anne-Marie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:09 pm
I haven't even picked it up since I bought it. I thought it was going to be great and full of tension but it's just BORING! Oh good lord, I am on the 3rd or 4th chapter, wherever they have Hermoine, Ron and Harry wandering acting like outlaws is where I stopped. I have a ceramic cat sitting on it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:18 am
I really enjoyed the book. I knew a lot of what was going to happen. It did get a bit predictable, but all in all I was satisfied. As for the last chapter, Rowling even said that she'd written that first and had no intention to change it no matter what the fans or editors or publishers tried to get her to do later on. I respect that she stuck to her guns and didn't cave on that. I seem to be one of the few people that I know that have read the book that didn't get confused on most of the sub-plots. I do admit that the ideas were strung together rather quickly towards the end, but a lot of what seemed like pointless drivel and the characters 'doing nothing' actually did a lot to explain certain character relationships in better detail. It just isn't revealed for a long time after it was mentioned. The only thing I have an objection to is the name of Harry's youngest child...goodness why did it have to go there?  

bakuretsuai

purple shadow angel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:32 am
Kali Eyad
The epilogue was ridiculous, and so very corny. And there was a large period of time in the middle where I was just bored. [spoiler in white] I mean, for Christ's sake, they wandered around for a decent portion of the book looking for horcruxes, but NOTHING was actually happening!!! "Ah, now we're lost, pretty much outlaws, we don't have an actual goal - just a theoretical one, and Ron's still being a whinny b***h... Shall we camp here and do nothing productive again? Or shall we argue, resulting in nothing productive happening again?" Sorry, my spoiler turned into a rant. sweatdrop

I liked the middle of the book, the wandering around part was interesting... I loved the majority of the book but the epilogue annoyed me. It annoyed me that she basically ignored Draco. He was good at heart, always. He was only trying to help his family and do what they had tought him was right. Obviously he didnt want to kill Dumbledore[because he didn't] and he didn't want to hurt anybody, he didn't even want Harry caught[because he didnt admit that he knew it was Harry, Hermione, and Ron when they were at his mansion]. Draco was good and he should have been accepted by Harry at least... not by Ron though because they kind of had a family feud thing. They insulted him in the epilogue and I thought she should have made his true personality reflect onto other's actions toward him because they reflected in his actions.I'm a bit of a Draco fan in case you hadn't noticed mrgreen I love Luna and Ginny too![highlight for ranting with spoilers]  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:41 am
Ebony_Anne
I haven't even picked it up since I bought it. I thought it was going to be great and full of tension but it's just BORING! Oh good lord, I am on the 3rd or 4th chapter, wherever they have Hermoine, Ron and Harry wandering acting like outlaws is where I stopped. I have a ceramic cat sitting on it.

Im sorry, but you must have a difforent copy of Harry Potter then me because mine is amazing and i couldnt put it down for the three days it took me to read it. I assume that you don't read much, or at least not real books... because if you did then you would realise that it was building the plot up. It is intriguing when they wander around because there is a point to it all and you should want to learn it, if you were a true Harry Potter fan then you wouldn't have given up on one of the books, you wouldn't have given up on the author, and you would have finished the book! evil  

purple shadow angel

Diuy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:28 pm
So I'm not the only one to have gone into a Potter Deppression after I realized it was all over? Good! I thought I was mental for connecting with the characters so deeply.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:45 am
I enjoyed it but did anyone else notice how much of the story came from other books? I'm not saying that Rowling copied but it was very obvious that she's read both Lord of the Rings and a lot of King Arthur. Oh, and that she'd studied WWII and was also probably influenced by the book 1984. On the one hand, it kind of bothered me because I felt like I was reading a book I'd read before but, on the other hand, I liked seeing things I recognized in new forms and saying "Hey! I know that!" Kind of made me feel smart...  

Annikaya

Literature

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces