Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Book of the Week Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silvermaiden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:23 am
Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Awesome story set in a semi futuristic setting where books and creative thinking are outlawed. The main character of the story is 'fireman' named Guy Montag, whose job is to burn books. A fantastic story that takes an abject look at society; where literacy is frowned upon and technology is king.
A definite must read.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 pm
Eragon, by Christopher Paolini (I think that's how you spell his last name... xp )
That and the Fullmetal Alchemist books. And Socrates in Love (I've only read an excerpt, but I fell in love with it right away).  

xXgoth_girl12Xx

mdarkcecil

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:24 am
The five rings by Miyamoto Musashi.
It made me read a book.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:40 pm
Peaches By Jodie Lynn Andersen

It's a total "girl" book, but it has a lovely plot and hits the spot for friendship reads.

Ender's Game By Scott Card
This book is about a little boy in the future that's forced to grow up and fight an adult's war. He's the third child, a taboo because there's a birth control law in the future, but he turns out to be an intelligent and competent adversary to those who oppose him.

Through his journey, he finds things out about himself and the people around him, but at a price.  

Cheerfulhope

The Only Fox Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:18 pm
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
Quite a good book, but a bit graphic.
Not recommended for children or the feint of heart.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:55 pm
A World Out of Time by Larry Nivin.

I'm not done with it, but it's turning out to give me a fanatical divotion to read till i see the end.
It's a tale of a man lost in time and space. He was frozen in the seventies and woke up in a future where he is slave labor untill he earns his freedom. A woderful story of an apocalyptic future A World Out of Time is full of action, satire, and delightfully futureistic technology. Well worth a checking out.  

Blind Hodd

Aekea Champion

0Kira

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:52 am
Circumference of Darkness by Jack Henderson

"A devastating terrorist attack appears imminent, and only one person can stop it-- a shadowy figure of the Internet underground who unwittingly set the events of 9/11 in motion."

In 1993, a legendary hacker known only as “phr33k” outlined a far-fetched plan for the ultimate terrorist attack, in a members-only online chat room. Eight years later, he awoke on
September 11, 2001 to see the World Trade Center in flames and his casual brainstorm materializing
into a murderous reality.

Among the injured in the Pentagon strike was 22-year-old Jeannie Reese, former child prodigy and current lead designer in the government’s Total Information Awareness program. As the response is mobilized, she receives a green light to activate her pet project, IRIN, an above-top-secret, omnipresent domestic surveillance system. She soon uncovers phr33k’s years-old blueprint for September 11th, and Jeannie sets out to track down this dark figure of the Internet underground and bring him to justice for his role.

But the hunt soon leads Jeannie down an alarming trail of revelations: the terrorists are gathering again, they achieved only a fraction of their aims on 9/11, and a massive follow-up attack is coming, designed by the most formidable mind she’s ever encountered, conceived to bring about the end of the United States of America.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:23 am
Mitakuye Oyasin: We Are All Related by Allen Ross.  

wolfen26

Conservative Werewolf

6,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Explosive Effects101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:31 pm
Breaking Dawn, Stephanie Myer.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:52 pm
My book of the week would be "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly.
A young boy loses his mother (though we aren't told how she dies, just that she was very ill), he then becomes lost in reading fairytales. Eventually he is transported to a world were fairytales are real, but they all have a dark twist to them.
I found the book to be reminiscent of the childhood book "The Neverending Story".  

XxDolorosaxX

Explosive Effects101

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:29 am
I cannot choose, I have read 2 books int the past 4 days, both of which were extremely good. So, I choose "Twisted" by Laurie Halse Anderson.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:36 pm
The Boyfriend List by Lockheart, E.

Summary:
Ruby Oliver, a 15 year old Seattle girl has just been through the worst 2 weeks of her life. Her boyfriend dumped her for her best friend, all her friends hate her, and she's an average person among the rich. So she goes to a shrink, to talk about panic attacks she's been having. Her parents fight more often, and things just happen.

My review:
It's definitely a chick book, but it's a comedy I don't think I'll forget any time soon. It's one of those books that you can put down and not feel guilty, but pick back up later and not let go.

xXBisexual FlanXx

Dapper Genius

curlieq301

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:05 pm
Doombringer50
Atlas shrugged, by Ayn Raynd. It explains why cmmunism is not realistic and why capitalism rules the world, as well as prooving that money is not the root of all evil. It also effectivly disprooves religion in 400 points of logic.

This is only my favorite book in the entire WORLD!!! Such a great piece of work. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:42 pm
Well, we have not had a book this week so...

Magyk by Angie Sage

I like this book because it sends you into a completely different world with ghosts and charms and spells, and i would love to live in this world. XD  

Eliasjor

4,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

XxDolorosaxX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:22 am
My book of the week is "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister". It's written by Gregory Maguire, who wrote "Wicked" and "Son of a Witch". I like his work because all the novels are twista on classic tales, in which he makes the "good" characters seem evil and the "evil" characters seem good. In "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" he tells the story of Cinderella from the point of view of one of her stepsisters.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff