Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
To be a little more Aussie ... *dreamy sigh* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

New poll!
  Whoop! *slides down poll*
  *mollests poll for 10g*
View Results

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 pm
BeMuled MissBeth
New request!

I want to be introduced to more music. Particularly some Australian stuff. I've heard of an Aboriginal woman who plays Didgeridoo, but I can't remember her name. But it's not just that kind of thing I want to hear. I want to hear all sorts of different genres from Aussie bands (mostly ones who aren't know anywhere else, North America has a tendency of tainting musicians from other countries). Also some stuff that has no real grouping, just considered Aussie, if any exists. Young, old, doesn't matter. Just nothing that's been released outside Oz. 4laugh

sorry again, but a couple of people left 2 very important bands off. here in australia there is a pub rock culture, adn 2 bands that are leading examples of that are the legendary Cold Chisel, and the activist band Midnight Oil. both bands have split up, and Peter Garret, the former lead singer of Midnight Oil is the current shadow minister for the environment in the federal parliament  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:59 pm
BeMuled MissBeth
You could always lie and claim to be Canadian. *giggles*

Another example of what not to be like:

A mate o' mine down under works for travel/tourism. He takes tourists around in buses and tells them about stuff in Sydney and surrounding. Well, he always has these wonderfully colourful stories to tell me about the stupid questions he gets asked. This one day he happened to have a Canuck (go, Canadia!) on the tour - without knowing it - and this is what happened ....

My mate was pointing something out along a main street and talking about it ... an American *cough* interjected *cough* and suddenly asked, "Will I see any kangaroos hoppin' down the main street?"

Just as my mate was about to answer, the Canuck at the back of the bus yelled out a response of, "Depends how much you drink!"

My mate was about dumbstruck, and could only smile and laugh at the unfaltering wit.

So ... don't be the American who asks about the roos ... be the 'Canuck' who hands him a stubby. *giggles*
man i am multi posting.... anyways, love the story, though funny thing is where i live is bush enough that we do get roos going down the street... and i am only 1 1/2 hours from sydney! in some places you get emus as well. i lived in a place called Roxby Downs, in outback SA, and it is kinda like a suburb of Adelaide whacked in the middle of nowhere. anyway, an adult emu and 3 young ones were walking down the road and my mate from queensland wanted to get a photo of him with one. got a photo alright... of him running down the street after them!  

Lynx Raven Raide

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:10 am
WellzY
Every Australian has an accent, it's called Australian English. rolleyes

It may not feel like you're got one, because to you your voice is normal, but to most other people around the world, it's not, it's Australian.

UNLESS! You're talking about Australians saying you have a thick Australian accent, in which case you probably sound like a bogan, no offense.

there are different accents in australia too. you go to rural areas and they talk with the 'G'day' style accent, where as you go to sydney and it is like 'Oi bro, whatya doin'?' there was a piece of footage with an australian terroist in it and they said they could tell where he was from in australia just by the accent.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:29 am
Lynx Raven Raide
WellzY

It may not feel like you're got one, because to you your voice is normal, but to most other people around the world, it's not, it's Australian.

UNLESS! You're talking about Australians saying you have a thick Australian accent, in which case you probably sound like a bogan, no offense.

there are different accents in australia too. you go to rural areas and they talk with the 'G'day' style accent, where as you go to sydney and it is like 'Oi bro, whatya doin'?' there was a piece of footage with an australian terroist in it and they said they could tell where he was from in australia just by the accent.

Yeah I know, there's also a slight class distinction in accent as well.

Also, Cold Chisel and Midnight Oil, in my opinion, suck. They were very popular bands for their time, and still are in their own right, but I really do detest them now.  

WellzY
Crew

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:08 am
WellzY
Lynx Raven Raide
WellzY

Also, Cold Chisel and Midnight Oil, in my opinion, suck. They were very popular bands for their time, and still are in their own right, but I really do detest them now.

i dont mind them, but then again, they arent at the top of my list either. just dont tell my bro you dont like CC, coz he will get up ya for it wink  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:59 pm
Lynx Raven Raide
BeMuled MissBeth
New request!

I want to be introduced to more music. Particularly some Australian stuff. I've heard of an Aboriginal woman who plays Didgeridoo, but I can't remember her name. But it's not just that kind of thing I want to hear. I want to hear all sorts of different genres from Aussie bands (mostly ones who aren't know anywhere else, North America has a tendency of tainting musicians from other countries). Also some stuff that has no real grouping, just considered Aussie, if any exists. Young, old, doesn't matter. Just nothing that's been released outside Oz. 4laugh

sorry again, but a couple of people left 2 very important bands off. here in australia there is a pub rock culture, adn 2 bands that are leading examples of that are the legendary Cold Chisel, and the activist band Midnight Oil. both bands have split up, and Peter Garret, the former lead singer of Midnight Oil is the current shadow minister for the environment in the federal parliament

*le gasp* I didn't know Midnight Oil was Australian! I loved that band! 4laugh Never heard of Cold Chisel, though. I'll have to look them up. Thank you. 4laugh  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:00 pm
Lynx Raven Raide
BeMuled MissBeth
You could always lie and claim to be Canadian. *giggles*

Another example of what not to be like:

A mate o' mine down under works for travel/tourism. He takes tourists around in buses and tells them about stuff in Sydney and surrounding. Well, he always has these wonderfully colourful stories to tell me about the stupid questions he gets asked. This one day he happened to have a Canuck (go, Canadia!) on the tour - without knowing it - and this is what happened ....

My mate was pointing something out along a main street and talking about it ... an American *cough* interjected *cough* and suddenly asked, "Will I see any kangaroos hoppin' down the main street?"

Just as my mate was about to answer, the Canuck at the back of the bus yelled out a response of, "Depends how much you drink!"

My mate was about dumbstruck, and could only smile and laugh at the unfaltering wit.

So ... don't be the American who asks about the roos ... be the 'Canuck' who hands him a stubby. *giggles*
man i am multi posting.... anyways, love the story, though funny thing is where i live is bush enough that we do get roos going down the street... and i am only 1 1/2 hours from sydney! in some places you get emus as well. i lived in a place called Roxby Downs, in outback SA, and it is kinda like a suburb of Adelaide whacked in the middle of nowhere. anyway, an adult emu and 3 young ones were walking down the road and my mate from queensland wanted to get a photo of him with one. got a photo alright... of him running down the street after them!

*giggles* Ah, Queenslanders. *shakes head and smiles*  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:06 pm
WellzY
Lynx Raven Raide
WellzY

On the subject of accent distinction ... I have a healthy supply of family in Scotia (Scotland) and the accents there certainly vary. Sometimes from town to town. It used to be a lot more distinctive back in my Gramma's day, but it's still there. It isn't simply being able to tell the difference between someone from the Highlands or Lowlands. You can tell if someone's from Muir of Ord or Strathpeffer if you know what to listen for. And it's the same here in Canada, only on a broader scale. Although our accents are developing and evolving, it's still mainly provincial. You wouldn't know the difference between someone from the Niagara Region as opposed to the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). You'd actually have to know the difference in styles and such to tell. However, I have no doubt that within the next 20 or 30 years we'll have more unique voices here too.  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:09 pm
And now a new question: Are there really seashells in Queensland that can kill you? o.O;;; Kidding, kidding. I do actually know about the little cone shells (I think that's what there called) over in QLD, no worries. I certainly won't be touching any if I ever get to that part of the world.

Now, more seriously, is it true that people from the Territories aren't as nice as those from the rest of Oz? I've heard stories about poor treatment at hotels and restaurants in Darwin and various parts of the Territories, and have always wondered why they'd be less hospitable there than anywhere else in Australia.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:25 pm
BeMuled MissBeth
And now a new question: Are there really seashells in Queensland that can kill you? o.O;;; Kidding, kidding. I do actually know about the little cone shells (I think that's what there called) over in QLD, no worries. I certainly won't be touching any if I ever get to that part of the world.

Now, more seriously, is it true that people from the Territories aren't as nice as those from the rest of Oz? I've heard stories about poor treatment at hotels and restaurants in Darwin and various parts of the Territories, and have always wondered why they'd be less hospitable there than anywhere else in Australia.

this one is a hard one... i would be suprised if they treated people poorly up there, because a good deal of their economy is run on tourism. maybe if you offended them, doing the usual 'yank impersonation of aussie' routine, they might, other than that. as for the other territories, i have no idea.  

Lynx Raven Raide

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:26 pm
BeMuled MissBeth
WellzY
Lynx Raven Raide
WellzY

On the subject of accent distinction ... I have a healthy supply of family in Scotia (Scotland) and the accents there certainly vary. Sometimes from town to town. It used to be a lot more distinctive back in my Gramma's day, but it's still there. It isn't simply being able to tell the difference between someone from the Highlands or Lowlands. You can tell if someone's from Muir of Ord or Strathpeffer if you know what to listen for. And it's the same here in Canada, only on a broader scale. Although our accents are developing and evolving, it's still mainly provincial. You wouldn't know the difference between someone from the Niagara Region as opposed to the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). You'd actually have to know the difference in styles and such to tell. However, I have no doubt that within the next 20 or 30 years we'll have more unique voices here too.
apparently in ireland the accent changes whichever county you are in.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:51 pm
Lynx Raven Raide
BeMuled MissBeth
WellzY
Lynx Raven Raide
WellzY

That's due to the age of the regions. Before cars and other faster means of travel, chances are you'd rarely leave your village.

It'll happen to the old colonies too eventually, I mean there are already distinct accent variations in North America, and there are slight ones in Australia which will eventually become move pronounced over time, but perhaps not as much as it varies through Europe.

Also, the Territories, I've never heard of such a thing. I wouldn't have any idea what might set them off on tourists either. *shrug*

The Northern Territory in particular, as Lynx said, practically runs on tourism, so they'd want to be nice for their own sake.  

WellzY
Crew

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:31 am
WellzY
Lynx Raven Raide
BeMuled MissBeth
WellzY
Lynx Raven Raide
WellzY

That's due to the age of the regions. Before cars and other faster means of travel, chances are you'd rarely leave your village.

It'll happen to the old colonies too eventually, I mean there are already distinct accent variations in North America, and there are slight ones in Australia which will eventually become move pronounced over time, but perhaps not as much as it varies through Europe.

Also, the Territories, I've never heard of such a thing. I wouldn't have any idea what might set them off on tourists either. *shrug*

The Northern Territory in particular, as Lynx said, practically runs on tourism, so they'd want to be nice for their own sake.

slight ones? you get someone from the bush, and a sydney-sider together, you can tell which is which (and no, not just by the clothes...)  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:38 am
Lynx Raven Raide
WellzY
Lynx Raven Raide
BeMuled MissBeth
WellzY

slight ones? you get someone from the bush, and a sydney-sider together, you can tell which is which (and no, not just by the clothes...)

Yeah, but you can find people from Sydney and from the country who will both sound almost the same, and you wont be able to distinguish them.

Of course there are accents, but they're not as prolific as they are in other countries.  

WellzY
Crew

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:01 am
yeah, true...  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items