Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Mos Eisley Cantina Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ral Roke

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:52 pm

No offense, but I really think ADD is overblown. Everyone gets told that they have it so that they have to start paying for drugs. Most of the time the condition is misdiagnosed. It's just something for people to hide behind for most cases.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:56 pm

I'm out for the night. If you have problems with my opinion on ADD, take it up with me tomorrow.

Clear Skies.

Ral Roke

Dangerous Hunter

AFK Masturbating

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:50 pm

Ronnie James Dio is groovy. heart
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:17 pm

Personally, I'd have to agree with Ral's opinion. *shrug* I just have seen this massive increase in all these conditions that seem to me like a great excuse for not paying attention in school. I'll admit there are severe cases that actually cause people to have difficulty running normal lives, but I also think that diagnosing kids as young as the beginning of grade school is ridiculous.
Kids are naturally energetic, and tend to have very short attention spans. That's not an illness, it's a freaking normality. Giving them prescriptions from the time they're learning to write cursive is just molding them to rely on pharmaceuticals for every problem in their life, not to mention costing a pretty penny. Some kids are twitchier than others, plain and simple.
But. yeah... Sorry. sweatdrop I can get off into a veeeery long rant about things like that. Also parenting's influence on such things. But that's not cantina talk. domokun

jedi_master_tenku

AFK Masturbating

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:30 pm

I have mixed feelings on the issue, myself.

Of course, not everything should be used as a crutch. However, should a condition, more so in conjunction with other disorders, prove problematic in obtaining and holding down a job, then assistance should be rendered to such individuals.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:42 pm

I think the funniest thing is the DSM 5.

The DSM is basically a book of all psychological disorders. We are currently using DSM IV, aka version 4.

It is about 4 inches thick, and 14 square inches. Size 10 font.

It is predicted the DSM V will double the size of IV.

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Asha Greyjoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:10 am

Celestia Whitesword
I have mixed feelings on the issue, myself.

Of course, not everything should be used as a crutch. However, should a condition, more so in conjunction with other disorders, prove problematic in obtaining and holding down a job, then assistance should be rendered to such individuals.

Yer right. There are people who have the conditions and other problematic issues that warrant attention and support. There are plenty of them, and I fullheartedly agree with supporting those who need the assistance in however it can best be provided.

HOWEVER.

With todays society and policies, it has become so simple to slap on the "oh, I have a condition" issue and toss meds at the kid, rather than realizing it's just natural kid habit. Inattentive parenting is fast becoming the medium for society in this day and age, and everyone's always looking for shortcuts to make THEIR lives easier, and to hell with factors such as the well-being of their child.

The worst thing is that society is only helping slap on false labels and crutches. Going through an actual diagnosis is pricey and time consuming. "What? You wish for us to step out of our self-absorbed decadent lives? Inconceivable!" Toss on over a pill and call me in the morning.

What's almost disgusting is- a lot of kids like to brag about their so-called ADD. Don't get me wrong, darlings. Mentioning that you have an issue is a good thing when needed, but I've seen boys at the comic shop comparing their 'disorders' like they were comparing d**k sizes. I'd be surprised if they even knew the diagnostic ins and outs of ADD.

But hey, the pharmacy companies make monies off of it. Greedy rich bastards. Gotta keep the rich happy and life gaggingly politically correct 'round here.

And those are Asha's two cents.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:00 am

THUNDERSNOW!

CREIGHTON'S CLOSED!*

RAVE!

*if you don't get this, creighton has been closed only 2 1/2 days in the last 13 years...

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:27 am

yippee! I'll get the glowsticks and technomusic!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:27 am

*puts on headphones and operates turntables*

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:29 am

Rock it!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:31 am

*busts out DJ tiesto tempo*

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am

*walks in looks around* I clearly am in the wrong place *Leaves*
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:38 am

Johnny Malone
*walks in looks around* I clearly am in the wrong place *Leaves*

not into raves, I presume? Or trance or techno?

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:44 am

Nope. I do like ho downs, hootenannies, balls, and gallas, adn the occasional drunken brawl (it's like dancing with your fists) though. And not really into techno music either.
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games