Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Hallways and the Grand Staircase
Grand Staircase Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:27 pm
User ImageUser Image

ғɪʀsᴛ ʏᴇᴀʀBʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ʙᴜᴛ ɴᴏᴛ Dᴇsᴛʀᴏʏᴇᴅɢʀʏғғɪɴᴅᴏʀ

Wʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏᴇsɴ'ᴛ ᴋɪʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍᴀᴋᴇs ʏᴏᴜ sᴛʀᴏɴɢᴇʀ Sᴛᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴛᴀʟʟᴇʀ
Dᴏᴇsɴ'ᴛ ᴍᴇᴀɴ I'ᴍ ʟᴏɴᴇʟʏ ᴡʜᴇɴ I'ᴍ ᴀʟᴏɴᴇ
Wʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏᴇsɴ'ᴛ ᴋɪʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍᴀᴋᴇs ᴀ ғɪɢʜᴛᴇʀ Fᴏᴏᴛsᴛᴇᴘs ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟɪɢʜᴛᴇʀ
Dᴏᴇsɴ'ᴛ ᴍᴇᴀɴ I'ᴍ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ɢᴏɴᴇ

Gideon watched Iris, making sure nothing fell from the bag. It wasn't very secure, after all. The girl claimed to be stronger than she looked, and he grinned. "I never said you weren't strong! In fact, you seem very much stronger than I!" He laughed, knowing there had been doors stronger than him. For someone that used their arms constantly, he was pretty wimpy. After his confession about his braced, Iris seemed completely unphased. He could tell it wasn't common here in the wizarding world either, probably even less so. Perhaps it was their magic healing? "It... sucks, yea..." Was she just typically uncaring, or was she just truly not concerned about his rather obvious disability? He blinked a few times, then shook his head.

He was set to start a walk toward his commons, but the mention of ways to avoid steps piqued his interest. All at once, the girl started in on secret passages, making Gid's eyes go wide. "Really?! You're not just leading me on, right? There are real secret passages here?! Awesome! That's amazing, wow!! I can't wait to explore! And you know where they all are?! Oh, I'd love to see them! It would be so cool not to take stairs anymore! Better than a lift, even! Lifts aren't even secret!!" He was more than a bit excited, mood quite elevated now. It was so cool to think he'd be able to adventure into all kinds of cool spots.

{OoC:}
Nanashi Kage Enjeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:13 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Iris Alethea Whitte~Hufflepuff Fifth Year~Pure Blood

There's a fire in your eyes
And I hope you'll let it burn
There's a scream in your voice
And I hope you will be heard

Iris noticed Gid's confused seeming reaction to her non-issue with his legs, and rolled her eyes. "Look, your legs aren't your strongest limbs. The crutches were a big clue, those are muggle style for long term use, I believe. So it's not a shock." Iris shrugged. "So what? The world spins on and generally doesn't give a f-" her eyes flicked down to the firstie, "...ig about any of us. Instead of useless condolences, I'm offering to show you a useful solution in the form of secret passages. Take it or leave it, but," Iris dropped the more serious mood and grinned widely, the expression inviting Gid to join, "I'm guessing you're going to go for the take it option, as yes, there really are secret passages. Though no, I don't think I know them all. I know quite a few, but I'm certain there are more."

There's a fire in your eyes*
And I hope you'll let it burn*
Until you're heard*

x Hufflepuff x OoC:

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:29 pm
User ImageUser Image

Gideon blinked when Iris gave him a look. Had he said something wrong? She quickly rolled her eyes and told him it was obvious his legs weren't his strong suite. "Actually, if you want to get technical, it's my back that's bad. I broke it when I was little, and it messed up my legs in one fell swoop. And yes, they are. The ones that tuck under arms hurt after a while, and make carrying a rucksack near impossible." He grinned, then listened to the rest. She was basically telling him she wasn't going to shower him in pity, which he wouldn't want anyway... probably. He blinked, then nodded. Her tone went from solemn to cheerful, so he smiled. She said she'd teach him the passages, but that she didn't know them all. "That's alright. You still know more than I do. But yes, I'd really like to explore them!" He wanted to bounce like an excited child, but his arms were too tired for the excessive movement.

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Tossing her head, Iris laughed. "Great, now that we've dealt with the obvious, have you found or been shown any passages or secrets yet? Most find out about tickling the pear on the fruitbowl painting to get into the kitchens first, or else the passage from the fourth floor to the first behind the suit of armor with the pike, since there's a class that lets out there just in time for firsties to see the fourth years use that passage," Iris told Gid. "Oh, and I'd suggest tapping steps before trusting weight to them until you learn the trick stairs. Some only trigger on specific days, directions, or when connecting particular halls. It takes a while to memorize them all. Don't worry too much about them though, there are apparently some with sense, as the trick steps seem to be charmed to prevent actual injury. ....just, uh, don't deliberately jump off the stairs. Not even if you think you can land on the not currently moving steps right below," Iris said with a bit of a blush and an awkward throat-clearing cough.

Until you're heard*

x Hufflepuff x OoC:

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:32 am
User ImageUser Image

Gid looked at Iris, cautiously mimicking her laugh. She said they had dealt with the obvious, which made him curious. She spoke about a couple passages, and he took mental note to find and explore them. He was about to add a comment, but she went on to mention trick stairs. "Wait, so the stairs can fall through and such?! It already takes me forever to get around, and now I've got to worry about falling through the stairs?! You realize I'd be extra stuck, right? I couldn't escape or anything! Do you know where all of those are?! We can... make a map or something!" He frowned, seriously having his doubts about taking stairs for the rest of his life. When Iris said not to jump off stairs, he looked at her like it was painfully obvious, with a tinge of color in her cheeks. "Iris, did you try jumping off the staircases?" He imagined a miss, then the girl going kersplat... but she was still here. Hmm.

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Iris looked a little shifty. "Maaaaybe? It would have been epic if the staircase I was trying to land on hadn't moved!" she insisted. "There was another one a floor down, but the landing wasn't ideal. And in hindsight that time during finals was a bad way to relieve stress, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. My girlfriend threatened to put me back in the hospital wing herself if I tried that run a third time though, so I've stopped trying to change staircases when I'm not at a landing," she said trying to look like she wasn't admitting to repeatedly deliberately jumping off perfectly good staircases.

"As for the trick stairs....pretty much everyone gets stuck at some point. You don't actually fall through though, don't worry, you just sort of fall into, and it never traps more than limbs. It's pretty rare for it to get two legs at a time, but sometimes people dare each other to jump with both feet on a trick stair and they end up with both legs stuck. Maps can be a little confusing, since the trick steps change a lot, and with the staircases not staying still it can be hard to remember which ones are safe and which ones aren't. Once you learn enough secret passages though, it shouldn't be much of an issue. If you're really worried, you can get a whistle or something?" Iris suggested. "A lot of the time, if you just relax, don't panic, and either lean on the railing or just sit down, you can pull your leg, or in your case crutch, free."

Until you're heard*

x Hufflepuff x OoC:

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:30 pm
User ImageUser Image

Gid listened to Iris' tale of her rather epic fall, and he bit his lip to avoid giggling. It probably wouldn't be super nice. At mention of a girlfriend, he lifted an eyebrow, but chose not to comment. She probably had a very nice girlfriend... probably. He looked at her, then grinned. "Just, don't mess up too badly. It's not much fun." He laughed, though it wasn't as merry a sound. He was grateful for the talk about the trick steps, since he didn't want to get another lecture. Iris informed him that the trick stairs only caught one leg at a time, and he shook his head. "See, with me, that'd mean it would either grab both crutches or both legs. They move together. I don't take steps. I moreso... hop." He nodded, then pondered an escape plan. His best option was to just always be in a group. Anyone could help!

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Iris shrugged. "Eh, wiping is part of pushing myself, but I'm trying not to take risks that are too insane. Sometimes I bite off a little too much."

She tilted her head when Gid told her he used more of a hopping motion than a walking motion, considering the logistics of this for a minute and the likely results of momentum meeting trick step. "If it gets your legs, either just let it, then sit down to free yourself, or else let yourself overbalance to land on your bottom, then pull your legs out, and go about your day. The first option is better, but if you can't stay up it really isn't that far to plop down. As long as you either curl your head forward or sort of try to let your bottom lead the way instead of just flopping back completely you should be fine, with no more than a sore rear and mildly bruised pride. If it gets your crutches...well, I'll be honest, you're likely to faceplant. Possibly spectacularly," she admitted with a wince. "Sorry. Maybe always lead with your feet? Like....feet on step, bring crutches to same step, lead with feet to next step again? Or else use a crutch to tap first before you commit to any stair step," Iris suggested. "Like...tap-test, hop, tap-test, hop?"

Glancing at the staircase they needed to take, she thought for a moment. "Well, this time of day and day of the week, this particular staircase doesn't have any trick steps that I know of. Ready to head up? If we stay here talking about it all night, we really will get caught by the breakfast rush," she told Gid with a grin.

Until you're heard*

x Hufflepuff x OoC:

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:27 pm
User ImageUser Image

Gid chuckled quietly when Iris said that wiping was just her way of pushing herself. That was a rather funny way of pushing! The girl then happily launched into ideas of what to do if he found himself stuck. Hrm, question? What if I'm going up the stairs and it catches my feet? Do I just... lean forward, or do I fall back with such force I damage the back of my head? And, on that note, what if the staircase moves and I'm trapped. Will it release me, or will I just be touted about the school?" He lifted his gaze toward her, since she seemed to know lots more about the mechanics of stairs. When she suggested hopping feet first, he let out a barking laugh. "Alright, that one's 'bout impossible. I mean, if you figure how to make that possible, let me know. For now, I'll have to take the time to learn all the mean steps, won't I?" He laughed, happy to have someone talking with him in such a way. As if crutches were a normalcy for everyone, and not just him. She made sure to mention the stairs they were about to take didn't have any tricks, so he smiled. She asked if it was time to go, lest they be here the night through. "I am. To Gryffindor Tower. You know where that is? I... don't think you're a Gryffindor. I'm sure no one will be mad though." He set his crutches on the bottom step, then pushed with all his might and landed on the step proper. It was going to be a while, but at least he had company!

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Thinking about how to safely fall, Iris wrinkled her nose a bit. She could recover from a fairly large variety of falls, but it was hard to describe how to do so, or to guess if it was even possible for Gid to fall in certain ways. "Tell you what, meet me tomorrow morning and I'll work out some safe falls with you. I know of a trick step we can use to practice on that shows up near the fourth floor. I'll bring cushions so we don't get hurt, and test a few falls to see which ones are least likely to end in injury. If you're willing, we can pick a fall or two to practice and I'll help you learn to safely fall and free yourself so you don't have to worry as much," she suggested, watching his motions carefully so she could figure out the Gryffindor's usual way of moving and take a guess at his current limits and reflexes.

"If you do get stuck, you're kind of just...stuck in the staircase, even if it moves. You get the delightful fun of traveling with the staircase as it moves. ...and don't worry, I'm a Hufflepuff, but the common rooms aren't THAT big a secret. I already know where the entrance is. I'll see you to your hallway, but I won't try to stick around to find out your password," she told the lion.

Until you're heard*

x Hufflepuff x OoC:

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:06 pm
User ImageUser Image

Gid noticed Iris' nose wrinkle, and if he had any sense of perceptive thought, he'd figure that he had her stumped... at least to a degree. She asked him to meet in the morning, so they could practice falls. "You want me to fall... on purpose.... to prevent other falls? That makes sense, I think." He nodded, wondering where on the fourth floor the trick step was. That'd be typical him to be in a rush to class, then get stuck in the stairs. "I mean, sure. We can meet on the fourth floor landing? On these stairs? We can go from there. What time? After breakfast? Ooh! Or, we can meet in the Hall, then hop up together!" He grinned, a little too giddily. The redhead continued, saying she knew about the other Common Rooms, making his mouth form a little "o" in surprise. "I thought they were some sort of holy secret! I didn't know people knew all of them!" It was a weird concept, but he figured he'd learn at least the Ravenclaw entrance, since that was Rhys' house.

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:23 pm

"Meeting in the Hall would be fine, yes," Iris agreed. "As for the dorms, well, you aren't technically supposed to grab everyone and take them around to show off your entrance, but after living here a few years most people figure out at least the general direction of at least one other house. If you have inter-house friendships you tend to figure it out faster...or if you're a nosy little sneak like me," she said with a bit of pride.

"And practice falls are important. If you're going to fall, it is important to learn how to fall correctly if you don't want to injure yourself. Don't worry, I'm going to practice the falls first, and try a few different methods, until we find something you think you can imitate." Iris took her hobby seriously, and one of the most important things to learn was how to safely fall. No one was good enough to never wipe. The important thing was knowing how to avoid or minimize injury, and you couldn't do that if you were afraid of falling. "But once we agree on a method, yes, I'm going to ask you to practice controlled falls so you can learn how to fall without hurting yourself. You might still fall in the future, but you don't have to injure yourself when that happens. It's not the falling that is the problem, it's the landing. If you can learn to land correctly, you'll find that falling isn't really such a big deal."

Until you're heard*

x Hufflepuff x OoC:

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:59 pm
User ImageUser Image

Gid smiled when Iris accepted his proposal to meet after breakfast. Falling wouldn't be fun without it... but if they moved too much, it might not be fun with. There was a predicament. She also mentioned that she'd learned the Common Rooms by making friends and just general wandering. "Seems fair enough. I have a friend in Ravenclaw, and now you too! In... Hufflepuff? That's the yellow one with the badgers?" Hopefully he wouldn't offend, but he hadn't really learned all the houses by name. He knew his own, and Ravenclaw, and hopefully Hufflepuff... it was the green one that eluded his memory.

Iris told him how important it was to fall correctly, so as to avoid injury, and he tittered. "An even better idea, however, is to avoid falling altogether. I'm not good at falling, and somehow even worse at getting back up. I'm like a turtle rolled over. It's not a pretty sight." At that thought, a small worry struck him. What if she was going to laugh at him? Or if she got him stuck, then wandered off? He wanted more than anything to trust that she was a good person, but she also seemed rather rough-and-tumble. Hopefully she was nice, as her previous actions had been. She said that she'd figure up a plan, then have him try it all out, and his eyes got wide. "How do you plan to figure up ideas? Your legs move, and your arms are free! I mean, I can bring my back-up crutches for you to use, if you'd like? That way you have at least half?" He tilted his head, hopping again, breath starting to come in as deep, controlled breaths. Stairs would always be his greatest enemy.

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:03 am

"Yeah, Hufflepuff is the yellow house with the badgers," Iris agreed, brushing her hand across the yellow accents of her uniform.

When Gid lamented his falling ability, Iris shrugged. "You would think avoiding falling would be the best idea, but falls happen. There's no completely avoiding them, so best to learn how," she said sensibly. "And there are plenty of ways to limit mobility. I could try a simple leg-locker curse, a jelly-legs jinx, or see about transfiguring some braces to limit my range of motion, or even try a jelly-legs jinx and transfigured braces. Bringing the spare crutches is a great idea though, thanks!" Iris praised the idea, as it would make it much easier to figure out how to mimic the other boy's physical limits.

She heard his breathing start to change, and studiously didn't notice it quite yet, as he still seemed to have it under control. She knew that people had different limits, and most firsties had trouble with the stairs at first, so honestly it was barely worth noting unless he started to seem unsteady. Instead, Iris continued to study his gait and the ways he moved. "Besides, I'm not that unused to compensating for different movement styles. Chrissy broke her arm last summer, and before that Josh tore out his rotator cuff, Melissa cracked a rib, and Blake broke his leg, and they all had to modify their runs until they healed up. You just figure out what can't move what way, then the rest of the crew practices the moves until they find a way to compensate. Then you spot the injured person so they don't mess themselves up worse, and maybe give people that need it a boost over tough runs. Once you get over the fear, it gets easier."

Iris eyed the red and gold bits of the boy's uniform. "And it looks like you have an advantage over me there. I'm a puff. We're stubborn." Stubborn. Yeah. And Hufflepuff took those no other house wanted, but that wasn't something that had any place in this conversation, so Iris batted the stray thought aside like the minor pest it was and pushed on. "But you're a lion, the hat looked inside you and saw bravery in there. It doesn't mean you aren't scared, it means you do stuff anyway." She grinned widely. "You're still a cub though, so mama Iris will just have to teach you how to roar, mkay?" she teased lightly.

Until you're heard*

x Hufflepuff x OoC:

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:59 pm
User ImageUser Image

Gid grinned when Iris confirmed that his house knowledge was accurate. That was good, in his opinion. Better than knowing only his own! At her notion that falling would happen regardless, he nodded. "I know it will, and it does. I probably need to learn how to fall proper, but I'm sure I'll bugger it up and hurt myself. I'm not very good at stuff like that." She mentioned trying to use magic on her legs to mimic his own, and the preteen lifted an eyebrow. "All well and good... but promise that you know the way to fix it? I don't want you hurt because of me, alright?" He had a rather somber expression, looking very much like he didn't like this going idea.

He didn't mind her using his crutches, since he hadn't grown quite tall enough for them. They always dug into his armpits, and that wasn't ever comfortable. Iris spoke about her... friends... being injured, and instead of asking, he simply nodded. About halfway up the stairs, he paused, his crutches a step higher than himself. He was fine. He always was! It was just tiring! He usually had to pause on each floor, and it was typically alright for him. He was usually able to make it to a landing and get out of the way, but since he and Iris were alone, he didn't bother. "Sorry, just taking a moment. I'll be ready again in a minute." He lifted his left arm a bit to glance at his watch, then gripped his crutch again. With that, he decided he had to get a move on. He'd feel just horrible if Iris got in trouble for breaking curfew!

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Hallways and the Grand Staircase

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas