Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
To be a little more Aussie ... *dreamy sigh* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

New poll!
  Whoop! *slides down poll*
  *mollests poll for 10g*
View Results

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:43 am
Haha, I hate it when making another reply to a post just becomes redundant, but you want to post anyway because you feel compelled.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:27 am
I don't think I sound any differant to city people. eek And I live in rural n.s.w. and always have,
I also certainly don't dress like your "typical country kid",

Some good Aussie bands imo are kid courageous, kisschasy, the living end and eskimo joe.  

tainted angel 87

Rinse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:05 am
tainted angel 87
I don't think I sound any differant to city people. eek And I live in rural n.s.w. and always have,
I also certainly don't dress like your "typical country kid",

Some good Aussie bands imo are kid courageous, kisschasy, the living end and eskimo joe.

adding Jebediah (alt/rock), and Pendulum (drum and bass) to that list.
In Perth, everyone talks about knowing one of the guys in eskimo joe, or his brother, or dating one of their cousins... It gets really really annoying. Perth is a small town, we get it. Brag to someone else.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:13 am
BeMuled MissBeth
And now a new question: Are there really seashells in Queensland that can kill you? o.O;;; Kidding, kidding. I do actually know about the little cone shells (I think that's what there called) over in QLD, no worries. I certainly won't be touching any if I ever get to that part of the world.

Now, more seriously, is it true that people from the Territories aren't as nice as those from the rest of Oz? I've heard stories about poor treatment at hotels and restaurants in Darwin and various parts of the Territories, and have always wondered why they'd be less hospitable there than anywhere else in Australia.

Haha "little"
Conch shells are about the size of your head, and yes there is a little creature that lives in there and has one of the most powerful toxins in the world.
Actually australia has 7/10 of the most dangerous toxins in the world, from what I remeber.

We have two terriories in Aust: northern territory and the australian capital territory. ACT is the "political" state, where there is basically only one city there, which is where we keep our politicians. So yeah, they would be rude razz
From what I know, NT is only rude to idiots, who try to jump head first into waterholes. Generally, you only live in NT if you're part of the tourist trade, a miner/etc, or were born there. Its like ... Siberia. So all the tourist people arent rude (its their job) and most other people just ignore foreigners. Other than that, people are just people. I'd say perth people on average are ruder.

Rinse

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:23 pm
Rinse
BeMuled MissBeth
And now a new question: Are there really seashells in Queensland that can kill you? o.O;;; Kidding, kidding. I do actually know about the little cone shells (I think that's what there called) over in QLD, no worries. I certainly won't be touching any if I ever get to that part of the world.

Now, more seriously, is it true that people from the Territories aren't as nice as those from the rest of Oz? I've heard stories about poor treatment at hotels and restaurants in Darwin and various parts of the Territories, and have always wondered why they'd be less hospitable there than anywhere else in Australia.

Haha "little"
Conch shells are about the size of your head, and yes there is a little creature that lives in there and has one of the most powerful toxins in the world.
Actually australia has 7/10 of the most dangerous toxins in the world, from what I remeber.

We have two terriories in Aust: northern territory and the australian capital territory. ACT is the "political" state, where there is basically only one city there, which is where we keep our politicians. So yeah, they would be rude razz
From what I know, NT is only rude to idiots, who try to jump head first into waterholes. Generally, you only live in NT if you're part of the tourist trade, a miner/etc, or were born there. Its like ... Siberia. So all the tourist people arent rude (its their job) and most other people just ignore foreigners. Other than that, people are just people. I'd say perth people on average are ruder.

So I should have no worries then if I ever get there. I mean, firstly I'm a sweet and loveable little Canuck (deemed Canatralian! 4laugh ) and secondly ... well ... I dunno ... guess I'll just stick with the first. *giggles*

On the whole, though, I just couldn't figure how anyone could say that people from one part of Oz or another are rude. (People outside the country, that is.) I've never in the entirety of my life met or spoke to a rude Aussie. In fact, it's been my experience that if someone insults an Australian (unintentionally, of course), or says something really uneducated, the Aussie in question will typically just give that person the most 'I'm sorry you're such an idiot' look and patiently reply.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:42 am
More questions! And a big apology for the long overdue g'day! *huggles and cheek kisses for all* 4laugh

Alright, it's that hated time of year for us up here in Canada. Whether or not you get money back, doesn't matter, the whole deal is a headache. That's right, it's TAX SEASON! *shudders* And so, on that note, what is tax season like for you in Oz? Frustrating as hell, no doubt, but what are taxes there like?

Also ... Where's the best place to get a didgeridoo ... and how do I know it's of good quality? No ... seriously. 3nodding I really want one to hang on the wall. I'd learn to play it .. but I don't think women are allowed. Or does that only apply if the female is Aborigine? Anywho, a friend of mine bought one from a store up here and it was supposedly imported from Oz ... great big huge thing .... and it has a very large and gaping crack down the side (is that normal?) so I thought maybe I'd get a smaller one.

And lastly ... what's all this buzz I hear about various cities (major ones, at that) running out of water? I know it's a dry country and I know you've had major droughts for ... I don't even know how many years running ... but is there another way to get water to these places that are running out?  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

Alexie dennison Jnr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:19 pm
OwO...northern territory...
and women can NEVER EVER play teh didgery doo~  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:33 pm
BeMuled MissBeth
More questions! And a big apology for the long overdue g'day! *huggles and cheek kisses for all* 4laugh

Alright, it's that hated time of year for us up here in Canada. Whether or not you get money back, doesn't matter, the whole deal is a headache. That's right, it's TAX SEASON! *shudders* And so, on that note, what is tax season like for you in Oz? Frustrating as hell, no doubt, but what are taxes there like?

Also ... Where's the best place to get a didgeridoo ... and how do I know it's of good quality? No ... seriously. 3nodding I really want one to hang on the wall. I'd learn to play it .. but I don't think women are allowed. Or does that only apply if the female is Aborigine? Anywho, a friend of mine bought one from a store up here and it was supposedly imported from Oz ... great big huge thing .... and it has a very large and gaping crack down the side (is that normal?) so I thought maybe I'd get a smaller one.

And lastly ... what's all this buzz I hear about various cities (major ones, at that) running out of water? I know it's a dry country and I know you've had major droughts for ... I don't even know how many years running ... but is there another way to get water to these places that are running out?
Tax time for us doesnt happen until July, because we usually go with the Pay As You Go system, so it is more filing for tax returns. for businesses, their money is reported through quarterly Business Activity Statments, which i only know a little bit about, so someone else could probably explain it better.

where to get the best didg... good question. best suggestion would be Northern Territory. some music stores might carry them, but i would suggest staying away from suvenear(sp?) places, cause those ones are just cheapies

the running out of water... well the rain isnt falling in the right places. just the other week Sydney got soaked, getting over 100mm of rain, but where their catchments are only got 12mm. i dont know if it has changed cause they got rain over there, but Adelaide had 40 days left not long ago. it is just over use of waterways such as the murry river, and not enough rain in the right spots really.

Lynx Raven Raide

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:20 am
When you get a didg, I think you need to go for something that has actually been made out of a tree log or branch of some kind. We have souvenir one for some reason, which I'm pretty sure is just made of pressed wood chippings. If you really want one, try to get a demonstration if possible.

Also, I didn't know women weren't allowed to play them, but come to think of it I've never seen a women playing one, ever. Seems ridiculously sexist.

Don't ask me about tax, I only submitted a tax return last year for the first time ever. I got everything back.

EDIT:

Oh yes, water. Yup, we're basically ********. They say the drought has been running some 11 years now. So couple that with, during the drought, and ever expanding population and industry, you start running short.

Melbourne was meant to get a crap-load of rain as Adelaide did, but we missed out. Meant to rain tomorrow at some point as well, then again on the weekend I think.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:34 pm
lol i think brisbane's almost ******** in the water situation...

BRISBANE: 19.69%
SYDNEY: 37.70%
CANBERRA: 32.57%
MELBOURNE: 30.30%
HOBART: 67.01%
ADELAIDE: 55.94%
PERTH: 22.51%
DARWIN: 97.46%

Source: ActewAGL, Melbourne Water, Sydney Catchment Authority, SA Water, SEQ Water and Water Corporation

dam level site

Last update: 26/04/2007

dunno where you guys got the under 40 days left of adelaide water... that says you have about 75 days worth of water at 100%

and about the didge, it was a scared musical instrument for the males use only through out aboriginal history, there was a major controversy several years ago where a female was using it publically... it was either a polly, or a musician... i forget that part....

yeah real ones look like a trree branch or narrow log. compressed woodchip ones a bogus... but for a real one expect to pay big biccies..  

scruffy012

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:52 pm
Woot! So much more for me to learn about! And yes, I was referring to tax returns. For us, we have to have them turned in by the end of April. If the gov owes you money ... you'll see it a month or so later. If you owe them money ..... get the lube 'cos they won't be gentle. o.O;;

Now for a slightly more involved question -- how would someone go about getting Australian citizenship? I've heard it's really quite difficult, but no-one's ever told me the why or how of it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:35 am
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

theres tv ads for that site on everyday for the past 6 months plus...

but it covers everything needed  

scruffy012

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:13 pm
Sweet! Thank you, Scruffy! *blows kisses*

I'm hoping that someday - fingers crossed - I'll be able to move to Oz. That is, once I've become a Massage Therapist and all that jazz. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:46 pm
Is the term 'You Ripper!' ever used in Oz? And if so, what does it mean? I get the gist of it (that's it's a good thing), but ... is there an accurate translation at all? o.O;;  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

scruffy012

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:17 am
an excited "YES", its basically used when something good has happened, or someones done something good, like bringing beer to a bbq razz

but i doubt there is an accurate translation, it would have the same but slightly different meanings throughout Australia....  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff