Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply .:. Shadows of Africa .:.
[OOC] Newbie/Oldbie Thread: Questions and Advice Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 44 45 46 47 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:17 am
I think the issue there Masa is that people can make a self rp with two characters, compose it mostly of one-liners, and try to pass it off simply by reaching 10 posts.

By giving the 1000 word limit we're giving people something they have to do so that colorists don't have to decide what is an okay self-rp and what isn't and really? It's not that hard.

This is a self RP I did between two characters. I reached 1000 words by post 5, with paragraphs I consider to be, on average, what people should be turning in to the colorists no matter what they're doing. They aren't that big, but they're larger than the one-liners we caution against. Even if you only posted paragraphs half that size over 10 posts, you'd still have enough words to count the RP.

Dusty is allowing you to count two RPs together as one rp so that you don't have two useless RPs under the post count that you can't use for anything and would have otherwise done in vain.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:50 pm
I will say, I have, I'd estimate, about 50 SRPs that are anywhere from one month to two years old... I'm not wanting to go back and process how many words are in EVERY single one :/ Why not an alternative to 1000 words? Like, 'Either 1000 words, or x# 'posts' with x number of sentances each for SRPs." THAT I could live with. And NOT retconning it to include everything before the rule was implemented - That right there is very unfair, because as I said - I have an estimated 50 SRPs I would have to go back and check to see what has how many. I don't have the time or energy to DO that.  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Cajanic
Crew

Generous Unicorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:13 pm
XD This seems to have shifted from a question to a suggestion.

I have a question about the avian lines: The baby stage is going to remain the same for all the different versions, yes? -random, I know-

Also, if you, say, breed an eagle and a hawk, would you get babies that would grow into both stages? And would you know what grows to what beforehand?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:26 pm
surprised That's great Fel. xd So in answer to my question, no it wouldn't count unless it had over 1000 words. smile Thanks!  

~Masamune~

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 pm
@Caj: Yeah, the baby stage will be the same for them all and I would only assume that you could get eagle and hawk babies from a breeding between the two. It's similar to a hybrid breeding when you get different kinds of cubs because of their mixed heritage? I don't know the answer to the last one though. That may be colorist preference, idk. We haven't had to deal with it yet since there aren't many bird breedings. >3> So it's probably Dusty's call there!

@Masa: Sorry I wasn't clear! Yes, at least 1000 words in any style (story, posts, etc).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:32 pm
Yeah. xD I asked because I haven't seen any mixed bird breedings.

Fun times! Thanks for answering the rest of it, though. <3

Cajanic
Crew

Generous Unicorn

Mila Farrell
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:33 pm
Andranis: It's more for the colorists, so they don't have to ask 'how much' is enough. xD There's been a lot of ambiguity on what's accepted for an RP and what needs work, particularly for self-RPs, which are generally shorter than typical RPs in the first place. It has ALWAYS been where the colorist has to make a judgment call on whether or not an RP is 'long enough' for them, and this has led to both some people getting RPs rejected that probably shouldn't have been, and some people posting really short/tiny RPs that probably shouldn't have been accepted in the first place. If the colorists have at least a baseline to go off of, there's less ambiguity for those RPs. Basically, nothing is really changing, colorists are just finally given SOME idea of what is considered long enough and what probably isn't.

Considering that you won't be using those 50 RPs at once, I figure for any breeding you want to do, you can just check the RPs you're going to use them? oo It's easy enough to stick them into word if you're REALLY unsure in order to check the word count, although after the first few I think you'd probably get a good idea of what approximately 1000 words looks like, so I doubt you'd need to check all of them. xD And again, if they're short, we have no problem allowing combined RPs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:26 pm
I have a lioness I breed in a mix and match quite a few months ago and as per the guidelines I gave the cubs away. I did however custom into the litter so I was wondering if I breed her again in a normal breeding would I be able to keep a cub or have to custom in again? I know theres a rule about only keeping one cub and then having to custom in so was just wondering if you got to keep a cub in the second litter if you costumed in on the first?  

JetAlmeara

Eloquent Raider

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:55 pm
If you customed into the first litter and have never, ever kept a free cub from that SoA, then you can keep a cub from the litter the second time. After that you must go back to customing in though.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:23 pm
But I don't have Word. I have to go to a website to check each RP. Plus, even if I used Word, which as I said I don't HAVE, since I like to color code my SoAs' posts, it may very well count those words in the coding as part of the word count, plus the title... And then I post it, and suddenly it's X# words shorter than 1000.

Though seriously, it's highly unfair to retcon a new rule to apply to old RPs, and I may as well just delete them all and start new on them all :  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Hotaru-Neko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:37 pm
:c It may be an inconvenience, but I think it's pretty generous for Dusty to even be allowing two short RP's to be counted as one for a breeding.

I don't have word either and use a website to count my RP's pretty often, and don't really see the inconvenience really, but if you'd prefer a word processing program to do it in there is freeware:

http://download.openoffice.org/

And if your worried about code tags messing up your count highlight the actual post instead of going into the edit box.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 am
If you don't have word and don't want to dl stuff, you can use what I use:

http://www.wordcounttool.com/

you just cp the post in there and it word counts it for you *nod nod*

Also I don't think it is a new rule - it's always been a rule that rps that were too short would be pushed back. If you had entered my breeding raffle with those rps, and won, and I'd have gone back to check the word count, I'd have potentially pushed back the breeding due to it being too short. This way, you know exactly, word for word, what is 'too short' and will never have a problem of a colorist thinking your rp is too short, since before, it varied, from colorist to colorist.  

Daffupanda

Adorable Lionheart

4,575 Points
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

nessiaing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:57 pm
Just wondering with the now fully spoken word count guidelines for rps used for breeding, should we be including a word count at the end of our rps?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:25 am
nessiaing
Just wondering with the now fully spoken word count guidelines for rps used for breeding, should we be including a word count at the end of our rps?

I guess - if you want to make it easier for the breeders, you can do that, but it's not a must. Breeders will check the rps <3  

Daffupanda

Adorable Lionheart

4,575 Points
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Puhterodactyl

Ghostly Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:34 am
Ohmy, I do hate to keep the questions rolling about RPs and length, but here's one more. ; w; (And I did check this thread, the suggestion box, and the official breeding one!)

So I'm cool with the 1000 words, it's a great guideline I use.
But I was wondering do SRPs have to be 1000 words (min) AND 10 posts? Because I've got an SRP that is 1249 words, and 9 posts, but the character that has 4 posts makes up 848 of those words. xD
I've also got another one that's just over 1000, and it's only 5 posts between two characters.
I'm not really trying to get people to validate my personal RPs, but I'd like to know for future reference. :0 Like if I should go ahead and add another post to that 9'er or make another 5-post RP to pair with that other one.

Thanks! And sorry to keep dragging this conversation on. xD;;  
.:. Shadows of Africa .:.

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 44 45 46 47 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games