Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fetal Containment Field
Fetus Fridge Version 2.0 (chat thread) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Half Baked SF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:01 am
MipsyKitten
Lupine Pyrefly
Luna Eclipse
Oh for ******** sake...first the banner, now the flowers. And did you get a look at the lovely banner someone made here: http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=4504347&page=5
Good job Godwinning yourself there, dude. rolleyes
I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Why are you surprised? Most people are against Hitler. By doing that they are doing nothing more than what we expect of them: using past people's suffering. People who have absolutly nothing to do with abortion. People who were born, lived, were tormented, tortured and murdered for no real reason.

Didn't you know that's exactly the same as aborshun!?!!!!?
As I said, completely ignoring the welfare of the born so they can further their campaign.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:03 am
I -really- don't want to go back to school. My schedule got screwed up at registration this past June, and though I'm going in the week before school starts to attempt to fix it, I'm really anxious that it won't work out and that I'll have a crappy schedule.

...Yeah. I'm a bit of a schedule fiend. >__>

I start September 5. Ten days before the airing of two new episodes of my favorite cartoon ever, and thirteen days before my next orthodontist appointment. gonk  

[Ernie]

Half Baked SF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:20 am
[Ernie]
I -really- don't want to go back to school. My schedule got screwed up at registration this past June, and though I'm going in the week before school starts to attempt to fix it, I'm really anxious that it won't work out and that I'll have a crappy schedule.

I start September 5. Ten days before the airing of two new episodes of my favorite cartoon ever, and thirteen days before my next orthodontist appointment. gonk
I start Monday gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:51 am
[Ernie]

Everyone who's not stupid is a schedule fiend. >__> It's necessary for survival. But I already got my "tentative" schedule with everything I want on it. Which is weird, because the school has never failed to ******** up my schedules before now.

Ooh, which cartoon?

S. Shark

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:59 pm
sybex Shark
[Ernie]

Everyone who's not stupid is a schedule fiend. >__> It's necessary for survival. But I already got my "tentative" schedule with everything I want on it. Which is weird, because the school has never failed to ******** up my schedules before now.

Ooh, which cartoon?

Avatar: The Last Airbender. razz That one Nickelodeon show.

I got to pick my classes back in June, and it all got screwed up because one of the science teachers wouldn't let me into the only block of science I could have without totally messing up my schedule. And because I'm a wimp, I didn't argue my case with her like my friends did. >__>  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:40 pm
[Ernie]

I got to pick my classes back in June, and it all got screwed up because one of the science teachers wouldn't let me into the only block of science I could have without totally messing up my schedule. And because I'm a wimp, I didn't argue my case with her like my friends did. >__>
Wow. That's actually good? I figured it was another American anime rip-off and didn't watch. O.O

Was it an advanced science class or something like, or was it the only block you could change without messing up the schedule? Anyway, you should definately have gone after it. Often, you just have to, um, push for what you need. (Yes, I come from a family that has a rough way of dealing with the school system. xD )

But it could be different at your school. You're a day student at a private/otherwise not standard school, right (or was that someone else?) Maybe the give preference to students who stay. Which means they suck, but anyway.

S. Shark

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:13 pm
sybex Shark
[Ernie]

Wow. That's actually good? I figured it was another American anime rip-off and didn't watch. O.O

Was it an advanced science class or something like, or was it the only block you could change without messing up the schedule? Anyway, you should definately have gone after it. Often, you just have to, um, push for what you need. (Yes, I come from a family that has a rough way of dealing with the school system. xD )

But it could be different at your school. You're a day student at a private/otherwise not standard school, right (or was that someone else?) Maybe the give preference to students who stay. Which means they suck, but anyway.

We don't have advanced classes at my school. I attend an alternative school, meaning it's public, just not district. I had to apply to get in.

I could only take science that block, because if I took it any other block I would have to totally switch around my schedule so I would have all the classes I need. And I didn't want to do that, because 1.) my friends and I had planned out our schedules so that we would be in the same classes (mostly), because our school has LOTS of group projects in the curriculum and 2.) I couldn't take any of the other classes offered that block.

And she was selectively letting people into the class because she was reserving spots for the students who were dual-enrolling at the district high schools and could only take science that block.

She says, anyway. She let in one of my friends because said friend was taking a language class that was only available one block, but the first thing I told the teacher was that I was taking Spanish III the only block it was available and she wouldn't let me in. stare I was more than a little vexed.

And yes, Avatar is amazing. It has foreshadowing, backshadowing, character depth, plot, good animation, good voice-acting, good humor and original ideas. :3 It has Mark Hamil, Mako Iwamatsu (who died recently crying ) and Jason Isaacs in it. surprised

Wasn't it your school that was getting rid of its block scheduling? Did they do that for this upcoming year?

@ Toga: Aw, I'm sorry. gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:03 pm
[Ernie]

We don't have advanced classes at my school. I attend an alternative school, meaning it's public, just not district. I had to apply to get in.

I could only take science that block, because if I took it any other block I would have to totally switch around my schedule so I would have all the classes I need. And I didn't want to do that, because 1.) my friends and I had planned out our schedules so that we would be in the same classes (mostly), because our school has LOTS of group projects in the curriculum and 2.) I couldn't take any of the other classes offered that block.

And she was selectively letting people into the class because she was reserving spots for the students who were dual-enrolling at the district high schools and could only take science that block.

She says, anyway. She let in one of my friends because said friend was taking a language class that was only available one block, but the first thing I told the teacher was that I was taking Spanish III the only block it was available and she wouldn't let me in. stare I was more than a little vexed.

Alternative as in...? Just curious. The only "alternative" public I know of is juvie. ;__;

So you're all blocked in. That sucks. Maybe some of the reserved spots will of freed up by the time you go to get your schedule fixed. If she let your friend in, she probably/might've reserved more spots than necessary incase the school gave her the wrong number of dual-enrolled students. So, might be spots open. And, uh, what's dual-enrollment?

Quote:
And yes, Avatar is amazing. It has foreshadowing, backshadowing, character depth, plot, good animation, good voice-acting, good humor and original ideas. :3 It has Mark Hamil, Mako Iwamatsu (who died recently crying ) and Jason Isaacs in it. surprised

Wasn't it your school that was getting rid of its block scheduling? Did they do that for this upcoming year?

@ Toga: Aw, I'm sorry. gonk
=o Must watch!

Yep. We know have six classes. And the freshmen are so damn lucky--they can now take foreign languages, won't have messed up credits, and don't have to deal with the Devil Teacher from the Ninth Layer of Hell until next year. Lucky b*****d freshies.

But since the classes are all-year or half-year, now I have a science class ALL year. And double math classes. =3 *happy*

S. Shark

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:37 pm
sybex Shark
Alternative as in...? Just curious. The only "alternative" public I know of is juvie. ;__;

THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE SAYS. gonk

It's "alternative" because it's not a district school, i.e., we don't go there because we're close to it. We chose to go there, as opposed to just going to the normal public high schools that are insanely overcrowded. surprised Our school specializes in the arts, even though our art department is under funded. >__>

sybex Shark
So you're all blocked in. That sucks. Maybe some of the reserved spots will of freed up by the time you go to get your schedule fixed. If she let your friend in, she probably/might've reserved more spots than necessary incase the school gave her the wrong number of dual-enrolled students. So, might be spots open. And, uh, what's dual-enrollment?

Dual-enrollment = taking classes at another high school within the area. Or maybe even a college (like, say, the University of Michigan). Our school doesn't have orchestra or band, so a lot of students dual-enroll at their district high school to take those classes.

And I don't think the class filled up. I don't think any of the classes I wanted to get that I didn't get were filled up, except for American Lit. I should be able to squeeze in, but I'm still very anxious about it all. sweatdrop

The school had nothing to do with her reserving spots. That was all her. Because we're a small school, our registration is set up so that everyone gets a number from 1-105 (or however many kids are in your class), and then you go into our Craft Theater (an entirely black room with collapsable bleachers and a stage) in order and all the teachers are sitting behind tables with blank charts for each of their classes.

Before going in, we each get a set of stickers that have our names, grade and forum leader's (think homeroom, only you stay in the same one for all four years of high school) names on it. We're supposed to put these stickers in the spaces on the charts to get a spot for the classes, and then teh teacher has to sign the little piece of paper so the counsellors know you have six classes.

So, basically, if something happens so that your schedule AND back-up plan are totally ******** up, you're stuck standing in the middle of a large room full of people quickly stealing spaces in classes, while you desperately try to figure out a way to make your schedule work. Yeah, lots of pressure and all that jazz.

sybex Shark
=o Must watch!

Yep. We know have six classes. And the freshmen are so damn lucky--they can now take foreign languages, won't have messed up credits, and don't have to deal with the Devil Teacher from the Ninth Layer of Hell until next year. Lucky b*****d freshies.

I'm sorry about switching schedules. sad And about the frosh getting better treatment, but it's hard for me to dislike them because my school is so laid back when it comes to under- and lower-classmen. The seniors at my school either ignore the freshmen or get along with them.

sybex shark
But since the classes are all-year or half-year, now I have a science class ALL year. And double math classes. =3 *happy*

Half-year means you have classes for like, an hour and half everyday for a semester and than you have a different class next semester, right? :Sweat:  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:10 pm
[Ernie]

THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE SAYS. gonk

It's "alternative" because it's not a district school, i.e., we don't go there because we're close to it. We chose to go there, as opposed to just going to the normal public high schools that are insanely overcrowded. surprised Our school specializes in the arts, even though our art department is under funded. >__>

It's not our fault our school systems are plain and unimaginative! gonk

Do you have to pay more or do you just have to do more to qualify? A school that specializes in arts, that's still public... if only it wasn't underfunded, that would be so cool.

Quote:
Dual-enrollment = taking classes at another high school within the area. Or maybe even a college (like, say, the University of Michigan). Our school doesn't have orchestra or band, so a lot of students dual-enroll at their district high school to take those classes.

And I don't think the class filled up. I don't think any of the classes I wanted to get that I didn't get were filled up, except for American Lit. I should be able to squeeze in, but I'm still very anxious about it all. sweatdrop

The school had nothing to do with her reserving spots. That was all her. Because we're a small school, our registration is set up so that everyone gets a number from 1-105 (or however many kids are in your class), and then you go into our Craft Theater (an entirely black room with collapsable bleachers and a stage) in order and all the teachers are sitting behind tables with blank charts for each of their classes.

Before going in, we each get a set of stickers that have our names, grade and forum leader's (think homeroom, only you stay in the same one for all four years of high school) names on it. We're supposed to put these stickers in the spaces on the charts to get a spot for the classes, and then teh teacher has to sign the little piece of paper so the counsellors know you have six classes.

So, basically, if something happens so that your schedule AND back-up plan are totally ******** up, you're stuck standing in the middle of a large room full of people quickly stealing spaces in classes, while you desperately try to figure out a way to make your schedule work. Yeah, lots of pressure and all that jazz.

Taking classes at college during highschool... wow... *head spins at the idea*

Well, good. =3 Guess that's a good side to going to a smaller school.

Incase she estimated wrong, then. That process sounds awful stressful. A bit unfair, too. On one hand, you can get into classes with your friends, which is envious. On the other hand, it's like you said: If plan A and B don't work, you're relatively screwed. sad

At my school the classes are determined by grade level and GPA. Seniors with high GPAs get first priority, freshmen with low GPAs get last priority, etc. So there's time to shove in classes missed in earlier years, and people don't get into better classes they don't need/won't work in/can't handle. It's all bubbling in forms and counselors, really.

Quote:

I'm sorry about switching schedules. sad And about the frosh getting better treatment, but it's hard for me to dislike them because my school is so laid back when it comes to under- and lower-classmen. The seniors at my school either ignore the freshmen or get along with them.
It's not that bad. Not as bad as the seven classes in middle school... ugh. I don't hate the freshmen, I'm just jealous. My friends are getting stuck with the Teacher from Hell AGAIN, and the freshies are getting off with just a year of her. gonk Ever had a teacher from hell?
Quote:

Half-year means you have classes for like, an hour and half everyday for a semester and than you have a different class next semester, right? :Sweat:

More like fifty minutes with it being six-period, but yeah. Last year I only had half a year of science, and it mad me sad. =( Awesome science teacher, too. He gave us daily weird perverted science facts (example: kangaroos have forked penises).

'Course, now crappy classes last longer... but only if one gets stuck with crappy classes...

S. Shark

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:40 am
sybex Shark

It's not our fault our school systems are plain and unimaginative! gonk

Do you have to pay more or do you just have to do more to qualify? A school that specializes in arts, that's still public... if only it wasn't underfunded, that would be so cool.

Nope, don't have to pay. I just had to submit the form, and then my name went into a computer that randomly chose ~120 students for the class of 2009. mrgreen I was 117.

sybex Shark
Taking classes at college during highschool... wow... *head spins at the idea*

Well, good. =3 Guess that's a good side to going to a smaller school.

Incase she estimated wrong, then. That process sounds awful stressful. A bit unfair, too. On one hand, you can get into classes with your friends, which is envious. On the other hand, it's like you said: If plan A and B don't work, you're relatively screwed. sad

At my school the classes are determined by grade level and GPA. Seniors with high GPAs get first priority, freshmen with low GPAs get last priority, etc. So there's time to shove in classes missed in earlier years, and people don't get into better classes they don't need/won't work in/can't handle. It's all bubbling in forms and counselors, really.

Most of the college classes taken are language classes. Our school's language program is...limited (our French teacher got cut moved, so now we only have two teachers for language only, and one of them only teaches two classes of Spanish II), so lots of students take Italian, Russian and Japanese over at the University. And the school pays for it, which is awesome, because UM is expensive. o__o

She didn't estimate at all. She just let in students she thought were worthy of being her class because of their schedule situation. What she failed to realize was that the chart of classes we could choose from (lists the teachers for the rows and blocks for the columns) was poorly put together, so that it was hard to get a good schedule with the classes you need (Lit, math, FOS [science] and some form of social studies) and then have a good back-up. If I was trying to get US History 5th block, there weren't any other social studies available that block, so if I had already gotten into all of my other classes, but not US History, I would have a very big problem.

And because of the way the schedules were put together, practically EVERYBODY was in the situation where they HAD to take FOS a certain block, or else their schedule would be severely ******** class="quote">
sybex Shark
It's not that bad. Not as bad as the seven classes in middle school... ugh. I don't hate the freshmen, I'm just jealous. My friends are getting stuck with the Teacher from Hell AGAIN, and the freshies are getting off with just a year of her. gonk Ever had a teacher from hell?

YES. YES I HAVE. In fact, we had a situation like that in middle school. There was a HORRIBLE teacher (let's call her Ms. L) there who taught sixth grade the years I was in sixth and seventh grade. I didn't have her in sixth grade, but she switched up to eighth grade when I was a rising 8th grader, and so I got her for language arts.

I had a couple friends who had already had her in sixth grade. She told her classes that India was the most populated country in the world, and that the Soviets sent the space station up to spy on us. She didn't feed us false stuff like that, but if we (the class) told her that something she said was incorrect or illogical, she'd assert her authority as the teacher and deem herself automatically correct, because she was the teacher and we were the students. rolleyes Our homework was worth a hundred points, but our tests were only worth twelve.

I actually have a real gem of a story about her that I posted on my LJ a while back. Here it is.

And how is this particular teacher at your school so hellish? Maybe I'm weird, but I am amused by bad teacher stories. >__>

sybex Shark
Awesome science teacher, too. He gave us daily weird perverted science facts (example: kangaroos have forked penises).

rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:24 am
Holy crap. We over 1100 members eek  

MipsyKitten
Crew

S. Shark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:18 am
[Ernie]

Nope, don't have to pay. I just had to submit the form, and then my name went into a computer that randomly chose ~120 students for the class of 2009. mrgreen I was 117.
=o Close one. Completely random?
Quote:
Most of the college classes taken are language classes. Our school's language program is...limited (our French teacher got cut moved, so now we only have two teachers for language only, and one of them only teaches two classes of Spanish II), so lots of students take Italian, Russian and Japanese over at the University. And the school pays for it, which is awesome, because UM is expensive. o__o

She didn't estimate at all. She just let in students she thought were worthy of being her class because of their schedule situation. What she failed to realize was that the chart of classes we could choose from (lists the teachers for the rows and blocks for the columns) was poorly put together, so that it was hard to get a good schedule with the classes you need (Lit, math, FOS [science] and some form of social studies) and then have a good back-up. If I was trying to get US History 5th block, there weren't any other social studies available that block, so if I had already gotten into all of my other classes, but not US History, I would have a very big problem.

And because of the way the schedules were put together, practically EVERYBODY was in the situation where they HAD to take FOS a certain block, or else their schedule would be severely ******** class="clear">
A school with a more limited language program than mine (Spanish and French only). Wow. But then, we're all too stupid to take classes at university...

Okay, your school's got mine beat at dysfunctional scheduling. Well, you can't really blame her for the school's bad planning, can you? Or maybe you can. Technically, she's part of the system... Sorry about your schedule. Everyone's schedules. sad

Quote:
YES. YES I HAVE. In fact, we had a situation like that in middle school. There was a HORRIBLE teacher (let's call her Ms. L) there who taught sixth grade the years I was in sixth and seventh grade. I didn't have her in sixth grade, but she switched up to eighth grade when I was a rising 8th grader, and so I got her for language arts.

I had a couple friends who had already had her in sixth grade. She told her classes that India was the most populated country in the world, and that the Soviets sent the space station up to spy on us. She didn't feed us false stuff like that, but if we (the class) told her that something she said was incorrect or illogical, she'd assert her authority as the teacher and deem herself automatically correct, because she was the teacher and we were the students. rolleyes Our homework was worth a hundred points, but our tests were only worth twelve.

I actually have a real gem of a story about her that I posted on my LJ a while back. Here it is.

And how is this particular teacher at your school so hellish? Maybe I'm weird, but I am amused by bad teacher stories. >__>
Hehe. I had a teacher move up from seventh to eighth, had her both times. But she didn't suck. Kinda cool, really, a crazy grandma type.

That's a bit like Devil Teacher from the Ninth Layer of Hell. Except for the paperclip story; that was just weird. DTNLH would give us false fun facts every so often. She asked the English name of Lao Tzu, and I guessed Confucius. She said it was right. Turns out Lao Tzu is an entirely different individual, who pretty much founded Taoism. Taoism =/= Confuciusism. >_< She was also a big micromanager. It had to be the right kind of paper, you had to right your name just big enough, you had to abbreviate pages as "p." and "pp.", not "pg.", and you couldn't write even a millimeter into the right margin... the list goes on. So very many rules. She was also easily irritated. You couldn't get a new sheet of paper out without risking enraging her. Just the sound of taking piece of paper out set her off. Don't even ask about the sound of tearing paper from a perforated notebook... I thought -I- was easily irritated, but damn she's nuts.

She seemed like she'd be an interesting person out of class, but she gets no points for that since she was such a devil IN class.
Quote:

rofl

Then there was the math teacher who enthusiatically and vividly described baboons killing other baboons' young... it's the young teachers, I tell you. They're all insane.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:34 pm
I had the craziest most idiotic teacher - who taught my "Comparative Religions" class. He was in his first year of teaching and ugh. Idiot. It's bad enough to have an idiot teacher, it's even worse to have one who is teaching a class about different religions and belief systems --- who can't even tell the difference between Hinduism and Buddhism and Islam and Sikhism and so on.

He was Catholic. He didn't like or support gay rights. He didn't respect women and even told one teacher's aide she shouldn't be there, she should be "in the kitchen". The only amusing part was he didn't know batshit about anything he was trying to teach and I could often have him tripping over his words and stumbling through his arguments.

I did report him to staff for his innappropriate conduct - nothing happened. I mean, I go to a school for kids with emotional and behavioral problems and some of the students are better behaved then him. stare  

[ Z a d i i e ]

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:23 am
sybex Shark
=o Close one. Completely random?

Yup. Completely random. :B

sybex Shark
A school with a more limited language program than mine (Spanish and French only). Wow. But then, we're all too stupid to take classes at university...

Okay, your school's got mine beat at dysfunctional scheduling. Well, you can't really blame her for the school's bad planning, can you? Or maybe you can. Technically, she's part of the system... Sorry about your schedule. Everyone's schedules. sad

We still have French. But we have a science teacher and the school newspaper teacher teaching most of it, while the Spanish and French teacher teachers four or five classes. o__o

I don't blame her for the charts, I blame her for not consulting her students first to see if it would work or not. They're the ones who are dealing first-hand with the schedules mess, they're going to know best about reserving spots. I do blame myself for not taking it into my own hands and attempting to convince her that I was worthy of her class. >__>  
Fetal Containment Field

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff