Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Mos Eisley Cantina Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2355 2356 2357 2358 2359 2360 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:45 pm

The Ninth, the first movement was stuck in my head all afternoon.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Yes, the slow cresendo and those kettle drums pounding, its slow and royal.

Second movement is better for me though.

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:49 pm

I like the second movement as well, probably my favorite symphony, just beating out Vivaldi's "Four Seasons."
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:55 pm

ah dunno. I have several opuses that beat out le quattro stagoni...

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:01 pm

Nelowulf
ah dunno. I have several opuses that beat out le quattro stagoni...
To each his own I guess. I will admit I am a neophyte when it comes to classical music still. All I had were my dad's cd's and records (and I couldn't bring them with me to college crying , although I have a great cd with various pieces from Wagner's operas ) thankfully many of my friends in college are expanding my horizons.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:08 pm

Speaking of RE4, That giant fish thing freaked me out, as did the giant bald guy, and the giant troll things... Let's face it, all of the big things in that game scare me...

elvisnake

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:10 pm

Well, when it comes to the classical music, you have two major schools of thought, the Germans and the Italians.

I'm a german fanatic, so people like rosini, vivaldi, etcetera, are subpar to people like Holst, Beethoven, Mozart, etcetra.

Plus, you have to also branch into romantic or baroque, and then theres operas and arias.... So I'm not surprized many people don't know much. But if you've listed to as much as I have, you realize that half of all major soundtracks are related to ancient music.

@elvis: Aww.. Save the bazooka for the napoleonic squirt...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:12 pm

I prefer Beethoven, myself, especially his Fifth and Fourth Symphonies...If anything, the fifth is a littletoo well known...

elvisnake

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:16 pm

Nelowulf
Well, when it comes to the classical music, you have two major schools of thought, the Germans and the Italians.

I'm a german fanatic, so people like rosini, vivaldi, etcetera, are subpar to people like Holst, Beethoven, Mozart, etcetra.

Plus, you have to also branch into romantic or baroque, and then theres operas and arias.... So I'm not surprized many people don't know much. But if you've listed to as much as I have, you realize that half of all major soundtracks are related to ancient music.

@elvis: Aww.. Save the bazooka for the napoleonic squirt...
Yeah, I have been thinking of coming to you for suggestions for a good German composer. I love classical but I will be the first to admit that I am woefully ignorant about a lot of it.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:18 pm

elvisnake
I prefer Beethoven, myself, especially his Fifth and Fourth Symphonies...If anything, the fifth is a littletoo well known...
Parts of the Ninth are incredibley well known. I know of no one who hasn't heard of "Ode to Joy"

Johnny Malone
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:22 pm

And Fantasia made the Sixth ever so popular. Say pegasus or centaurs and bam! they'll remember.

Yeah, I even know which conductors do the best of each symphonies, on top of composers.. Save you some dinero when it comes to it.

Like Bernstein does a magnificent Fifth and ninth, but his sixth goes so fast I always feel like someone lit disney on fire and made them run a 20 km marathon.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:24 pm

Nelowulf
And Fantasia made the Sixth ever so popular. Say pegasus or centaurs and bam! they'll remember.

Yeah, I even know which conductors do the best of each symphonies, on top of composers.. Save you some dinero when it comes to it.

Like Bernstein does a magnificent Fifth and ninth, but his sixth goes so fast I always feel like someone lit disney on fire and made them run a 20 km marathon.
Well between you and my friends at school (who insist that anything besides classical is crap) I think I may be set on what I should listen to.

What do you think of Karajan's version of the Ninth? (It's the version I am listening to)

Johnny Malone
Crew

Missing00

Invisible Guildsman

9,100 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:28 pm

I like Stravinski myself.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:28 pm

Johnny Malone
elvisnake
Parts of the Ninth are incredibley well known. I know of no one who hasn't heard of "Ode to Joy"

...Or We Will Rock You.
Anyhoo, I learned Ode to Joy on the guitar. At least the simple tune.

Capn Deep Blusi

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:29 pm

Karajan is a magnificent Composer for beethoven. That b*****d is as deaf as Ludvig himself.

Acutally, I hate karajan with a passion because he's got no control over a soft spot. He's one of the few people whom you probably should sit in the back of the theater for, if nothing else to make sure it doesn't blow out your eardrums.

His tempo isn't too bad, its just his control. Bernstein and the vienna orchestra, as I said, do a much better part when it comes to quiet than karajan and the berlin philharmonic.

@ Missing: Igor STravinski... ugh... rite of spring is soooo damnn..... boring....
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2355 2356 2357 2358 2359 2360 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games