Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fetal Containment Field
Fetus Fridge Version 2.0 (chat thread) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:58 pm
Whoa. So I'm not the only one with some form of block scheduling. biggrin

For those who have witnessed my bitchings about my schedule ******** in June, I was not successful in fixing it when I went into school yesterday. ;_; I can try to fix it on the first day, but that sounds way too stressful. >.< Dammit dammit. And now I'm considering keeping one of the classes I have now.

I'm one of those people who can't stand being in a different class than all her friends...all of my friends, except one, are in a lot of classes together. That feeling of exclusion really bites. And the fact that my school has this thing with group projects. It'd be nice to be able to work with my friends on projects. >__<

We have 3-4 classes a day (we're only allowed six classes, plus "Forum", a species of "homeroom", which counts as 8th block). Odd classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, even classes on Tuesdays and Thursday, and all classes on Fridays, for a shortened period of time. I have a free first block (because I HAVE to take Spanish 7th block >>;; Bleh, getting out of school at three), so I get to sleep in on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. whee  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:12 pm
Ugh. I had the changing class thing in elementary, and it totally sucked. Good thing about 6-period, all-year classes: never having to keep track of what day it is.

(Downside: teachers lie about how they're going to give you less homework since you have more classes. LYING LIARS WHO TELL LIES, DAMN IT.)

S. Shark

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:53 pm
*beats thread with stick*

YOU AREN'T S'POSED TO DIE LIKE THIS OMGWTF. :GONK:

Anyway.

The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are love. ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:07 pm
AHHH I COME TO GAIA TO GET AWAY FROM SCHOOL AND I STILL GET SCHOOL!

Wow.
and I thought my school's schedualing was bad.

For my school you schedual nn the middle of the year, you schedual for the next year and you have the rest of the year to change your classes if you want.

then during the summer the counselors schedual you into the class you want (if they're avaliable and fit into a working order), you also had to submit 2 or 3 back up classes in case you could not get the one you want.

BUT it seems like the majority of the teachers at my school do not know how to work the damn computer programs so problems always insue from the first day of school till 3 weeks later.

They never fail to ******** up my schedual either. the first day of school, I got three scheduals for some reason.
One said I was a freshmen, one said I was a sophmore, and one said I was a junior.
they all had different classes too - none I wanted either.
PLUS the one that labeled me a junior for some reason just did not list a first hour class, and my home room teacher joked that I should just go home and come back at 8:50 for second hour and see if anybody notices.

though I knew I couldn't do that, so I stood in the counselling office for three days (not continuous, but I got to school, waited in the office, 6-7 hours later school let out and so on gonk )

Finally I got my schedual fixed, only to learn that the Vocational Horticulture & argiculture sciences class I wanted to take had been cancelled because the teacher quite 2 weeks before school started.

so I got the classes of

1st : American Govt. & economy 7:50 - 8:45
2nd: Chesmistry 8:50 - 9:45
3rd: Adv. English 11 9:50 - 10:45
4th: Journalism 10:50 - 12:30*
5th: Bio II & Ecology 12:35 - 1:30
6th: German I 1:35 - 2:30

*No 4th hour is not that long, the lunch hours are broken up in that space.
1st lunch goes after 3rd hour to lunch, 2nd lunch goes about 20 minuets to 4th hour then goes to lunch and goes back to 4th hour after that. & 3rd lunch, which I have, is after 4th hour.

I have those classes all year long and right now I don't know if thats a good thing or not, but thats all I used too.

I might dual enroll next year for my 6th hour and take a college science course due to the fact that next year's freshmen have to take
4 years of math, 3 years of science, 4 years of english, 2 years of foreign lang, 3 years of social studies.

Compared with 2 years of math, 2 years of science, 4 years of english, 3 years of social stuides, and a tentative 2 years of foreing lang. (my minimum requirements for graduation)
which leave them with what....two electives they're whole high school career?
my school is croweded to hell as it is and we're going to be getting more students next year.
especially when the freshmen will be taking classes like physics and chemistry. gonk

Ernie your in MI right, did you get any of the students from the detroit strike or are you too far away?

we got about 30 of them, and they're HORRIBLE.

I sat threw a college orientation type thing last week that my english teacher makes us go to when the college counselors come to our school, but otherwise you have to sign up for them (the detroit students signed up just to miss whatever class they were going to miss)

The particular university was Wayne State, which is in detroit, and not only did the detroit students act ruder then I've seen any dumbass in my school has, but they also had the nerve to argue about the requirements to get into wayne state.

The minimum GPA they accept is 2.7 point 5 which is really low and you don't even need an ACT or SAT score, and if you have a 3.0 they basically give you a full ride , but the students were arguing because they only had 2.5.
one of the kids really pissed off the lady by asking "Can we live in the droms on campus, but not go to college?"
I thought the counselor from wayne state was going to scream after the kid started arguing how that was not fair that you can't live on campus but not go the college. gonk

Oh yeah, are you taking the MME's?
Are those finalised yet?
sorry I'm babbeling on and on and on

Trite~Elegy

S. Shark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:00 pm
Trite:

Gwah! My school has practically the same schedule now (though different means of scheduling), and we have the same problems. We have zip time for electives. 'Cept it isn't just for freshmen, EVERYONE has to change. So our credits are ******** up, and we can take even fewer electives. And then we're stuck in the same classes for the same year, so there's a great chance of ending up with people you hate for an entire year.

The excuse for the change is that the school was barely reaching the state-required number of hours in-school. So... now we do reach the requirements, but retain even less of the information.

Bleh.

And now they want to create "Schools of Study", so students have to choose their career paths in FRESHMEN YEAR! gonk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:32 pm
sybex Shark
Trite:

Gwah! My school has practically the same schedule now (though different means of scheduling), and we have the same problems. We have zip time for electives. 'Cept it isn't just for freshmen, EVERYONE has to change. So our credits are ******** up, and we can take even fewer electives. And then we're stuck in the same classes for the same year, so there's a great chance of ending up with people you hate for an entire year.

The excuse for the change is that the school was barely reaching the state-required number of hours in-school. So... now we do reach the requirements, but retain even less of the information.

Bleh.

And now they want to create "Schools of Study", so students have to choose their career paths in FRESHMEN YEAR! gonk

Hell, my school calls itself a 'Career profileing school'.
they drill you in with all this career s**t in middle school, about 'what you want to be' and middle school is hardly the time when you make your ultimate decision about what you want to do for the rest of your life, but for some reason it just is not apparent to the damned burracrates which is makeing the schools in the state do so.
I mean, how many times do you hear about college grads changeing to a whole different feild of career and leaving the other degree useless? all the time.
One of my favorite english teachers had gotten her bacholer's to be in the FBI - she still can be if she wants too, but she had qualms about shooting people so she became an english teacher.
and was a damn fine english teacher.

so when freshmen year hits, the counselors drill you for the kind of classes you want to take that fits your career goal. they basically want you to have a full 4 year plan of all the classes you want to take on the first day of high school gonk

OH I know what you mean about being stuck in class rooms with people you hate.
my 5th hour is like that.
it's a Bio II & ecology class, and you are not required to take it because you only need two years of science as of right now to graduate, yet you still need 6 classes in your schedual.
so we get a bunch of assholes in my class because they though "it's just biology again, I got a D in biology I can get a D again", and only picked this class so they didn't have to do a foreing lang. or some other class they heard as 'hard', and end up pissing off the whole class with that attitude.

THOUGH it's not just biology again, you're supposed to have good understaning of basic biology to be in this class since it's more of a AP biology & ecology, but these asshats don't realise that and complain when they are failing most of the first semster.

I had art last year, and for some god damn reason all the incoming freshmen and even some upperclasse men like the one's I described in my bio II class, think art is a blowoff class, which - it's not.
you have deadlines, you get graded on how good your work is etc.
and all they do is goof around and do s**t like throw xacto knives around the class room, then come find out at the end of the year they're a credit short because they failed the class.

It's not easy to fail art, you don't have to be good at art, but you atleast have to try, and they just don't understand that.

I would have taken art this year had I known we were getting a new teacher the conselors hired - on purpose.
he's a 'take no s**t' kind of person.
the first 2 weeks of school when the art classes are exploding with the number of kids in them, he weeded out the jerks and now has some of the smallest classes in the school.
I just wish I could have been in his class to see him in some of the infamous confrontation between some of the more well known idiotic bully types.

Trite~Elegy

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:21 pm
Trite~Elegy
Ernie your in MI right, did you get any of the students from the detroit strike or are you too far away?

Oddly enough, though I'm less than an hour from Detroit, my school didn't get any kids from Detroit's schools. Then again, it's an alternative school, not a district school, so there's a real, solid limit on how many kids can come here. They were probably sent to the big high schools.

Quote:
Hell, my school calls itself a 'Career profileing school'.
they drill you in with all this career s**t in middle school, about 'what you want to be' and middle school is hardly the time when you make your ultimate decision about what you want to do for the rest of your life, but for some reason it just is not apparent to the damned burracrates which is makeing the schools in the state do so.

I HATE THOSE PROGRAMS SO MUCH.

I didn't decide what I wanted to do until earlier this year, not in middle school. Middle school is about preparing you for high school, and high school is about focusing your interests and skills and preparing for college. GAAAAAAH.

Quote:
One of my favorite english teachers had gotten her bacholer's to be in the FBI - she still can be if she wants too, but she had qualms about shooting people so she became an english teacher.

Quoth my Spanish teacher: "When I was in college, I was going to work for the CIA and kill people [o_________O]!"

Quote:
I had art last year, and for some god damn reason all the incoming freshmen and even some upperclasse men like the one's I described in my bio II class, think art is a blowoff class, which - it's not.

My art teacher stressed that a LOT on the first day of class. She's also my forum leader, so I know her pretty well. It also means that when I was a freshmen, I knew that art wasn't just some random class you take to fill up your schedule.

My class has a couple freshmen and a sophomore like that, and it's really annoying when they do nothing but talk and make noise all hour long. It's hard to concentrate and headache-inducing, and occasionally they'll spend their time walking around the classroom, gaping at Helen and Ashley's laptops and tablets. Yeah, they're shiny, and yeah, the girls are talented. Get over it.

Then they'll move on and look over my shoulder (and a lot of other people's shoulders) at whatever I'm/they're doing, or giggle behind their hands at the students drawing n***s or looking through anatomy books. They b***h about Kris (our teacher) behind her back, about how she makes them *GASP* work and stay in the classroom. Come a critique (which we have every two weeks or so), they'll just stare blankly while we talk about other students' pieces. When it's their turn to have their stuff critiqued, they just nod automatically as people talk about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:48 pm
*cringe* Least mine didn't start in middle school. This reminds me of another bullshit thing my school does to "prepare us for college". It has this special diploma where you take so many AP, accelerated, etc. classes you have no specialization what so ever. (How is this compatible with schools of study? No ******** clue.) They hype it a lot, but what they (okay, most of them) don't say is that outside of the state, no one gives a s**t. The AP classes look nice on applications, but the diploma means jack. >_<

ART CLASS! *squee* I loved art. Haven't had it since eighth grade. Art teachers are just really spiffy folks, you know? Kids at my school always thought they sucked, though, for the same stupid reasons--they didn't get to ******** around, teachers were just sooooooo mean, had to do bookwork...

Doesn't occur to them to look at it from the teachers perspective. Art is not taken seriously by anyone, thus teachers HAVE to nag to get anything done. The bookwork isn't really their choice, because knowledge of basic art history and terms is required by the state. And it's EASY work. After that, you get to do all kinds of fun, easy projects that require little or no thought. That reminds me...

FSM forbid they ever actually learn to create original art. All my art classes were ever able to amount to were 1-2-3 craft projects and copying actual art. It's no wonder people can't understand how artists create good art. Art is practice, practice, practice, but it isn't taught that way. It's taught, like, well... math. Don't get me wrong. I like math, but you can't follow the order of operations to create a masterpiece or write a proof for the Last Supper. You can make a copy of masterpiece that way, maybe, but you can't learn that way.

Ernie...

TABLETS?!

Tell me they brought 'em from home, man. Tablets! Man, my school just updated it's computers for the first time in, oh, seven years at least... to think, tablets...

S. Shark

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:07 pm
sybex Shark
*cringe* Least mine didn't start in middle school. This reminds me of another bullshit thing my school does to "prepare us for college". It has this special diploma where you take so many AP, accelerated, etc. classes you have no specialization what so ever. (How is this compatible with schools of study? No ******** clue.) They hype it a lot, but what they (okay, most of them) don't say is that outside of the state, no one gives a s**t. The AP classes look nice on applications, but the diploma means jack. >_<

ART CLASS! *squee* I loved art. Haven't had it since eighth grade. Art teachers are just really spiffy folks, you know? Kids at my school always thought they sucked, though, for the same stupid reasons--they didn't get to ******** around, teachers were just sooooooo mean, had to do bookwork...

Doesn't occur to them to look at it from the teachers perspective. Art is not taken seriously by anyone, thus teachers HAVE to nag to get anything done. The bookwork isn't really their choice, because knowledge of basic art history and terms is required by the state. And it's EASY work. After that, you get to do all kinds of fun, easy projects that require little or no thought. That reminds me...

FSM forbid they ever actually learn to create original art. All my art classes were ever able to amount to were 1-2-3 craft projects and copying actual art. It's no wonder people can't understand how artists create good art. Art is practice, practice, practice, but it isn't taught that way. It's taught, like, well... math. Don't get me wrong. I like math, but you can't follow the order of operations to create a masterpiece or write a proof for the Last Supper. You can make a copy of masterpiece that way, maybe, but you can't learn that way.

Ernie...

TABLETS?!

Tell me they brought 'em from home, man. Tablets! Man, my school just updated it's computers for the first time in, oh, seven years at least... to think, tablets...

They brought 'em from home. As well as their shiny $1500 laptops. *__* My school is FINALLY going to update its iMacs to eMacs with Mac OS X in a couple weeks. The district started this two years ago, but our school was last because we're the druggie artsy fartsy alternative school that no one cares about.

My art class is basically just working on anything as long as you spend most of your time working and have 12 completed pieces in by the end of the semester. Every two weeks or so we have a critique, where we all go into the other art room (TWO art rooms, man. TWO) and look at everyone's art and critique it. So much fun. <3

And, AP classes can die. I'm sick of reading on college websites "AP classes make your application more appealing to us!". Because a.) there are no AP classes at my school. I'd have to dual-enroll at one of the other big high schools to take one, which would be a real pain in the a** and; b.) Just because I didn't take AP classes doesn't mean I'm not smart. I can be smart, and understand the material, and just be horrible at working that fast-paced. How am I not worthy for your cookie-cutter college because I cannot ace ten-minute five-point quizzes?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:49 pm
[Ernie]

They brought 'em from home. As well as their shiny $1500 laptops. *__* My school is FINALLY going to update its iMacs to eMacs with Mac OS X in a couple weeks. The district started this two years ago, but our school was last because we're the druggie artsy fartsy alternative school that no one cares about.

My art class is basically just working on anything as long as you spend most of your time working and have 12 completed pieces in by the end of the semester. Every two weeks or so we have a critique, where we all go into the other art room (TWO art rooms, man. TWO) and look at everyone's art and critique it. So much fun. <3

And, AP classes can die. I'm sick of reading on college websites "AP classes make your application more appealing to us!". Because a.) there are no AP classes at my school. I'd have to dual-enroll at one of the other big high schools to take one, which would be a real pain in the a** and; b.) Just because I didn't take AP classes doesn't mean I'm not smart. I can be smart, and understand the material, and just be horrible at working that fast-paced. How am I not worthy for your cookie-cutter college because I cannot ace ten-minute five-point quizzes?
Oh good. Otherwise I'd have to cry like a small child.

Well, at least you're getting Macs, not PCs, right?

mad I envy you. Don't know if my highschool is like that, but it's still way better than middle school. Do you have to cover a certain number of art forms with the pieces, or is it really up to students? I mean, can you do different KINDS of, say, paintings, like abstract and impressionist, or do they have to be totally different art forms?

Yes, they can. Still, sometimes you can get college credit for them and there are less stupid people in them, so I'm going to take them anyway. Heck, there's less stupid people in accelerated classes, and those don't even require taking a test. And I suppose they're more interesting for people who get bored in normal classes and thus don't do the work...

But you go to a druggie artsy fartsy school so maybe there are naturally less stupid people. xP

And...

Holy crap, I just saw a creepy commercial. It was Fisher-Price I think and there was this baby at the end but the baby's neck looked BROKEN. The head was too far over. Plus it had a baby in it, which makes everything 10x creepier.

S. Shark

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:03 am
sybex Shark
[Ernie]

mad I envy you. Don't know if my highschool is like that, but it's still way better than middle school. Do you have to cover a certain number of art forms with the pieces, or is it really up to students? I mean, can you do different KINDS of, say, paintings, like abstract and impressionist, or do they have to be totally different art forms?

Yes, they can. Still, sometimes you can get college credit for them and there are less stupid people in them, so I'm going to take them anyway. Heck, there's less stupid people in accelerated classes, and those don't even require taking a test. And I suppose they're more interesting for people who get bored in normal classes and thus don't do the work...

But you go to a druggie artsy fartsy school so maybe there are naturally less stupid people. xP

And...

Holy crap, I just saw a creepy commercial. It was Fisher-Price I think and there was this baby at the end but the baby's neck looked BROKEN. The head was too far over. Plus it had a baby in it, which makes everything 10x creepier.

We're allowed to do anything we want, so long as it's art. Anything. She wants us to try to use different forms, but she won't deduct points if we do nothing but charcoal or pastels for the whole semester. As long as we work during class and participate in critiques, it's all good. I heart our art program (which, unfortunately, already ran out of money about two weeks into school. Our annual fundraiser isn't for another four months, too. For such an artsy school, our art department is severely underfunded).

No, we still have stupid people. Not as many as were at my middle school or are currently at my district high school, but they're there. Especially the freshmen. They act like they own the friggin' school. UM HELLO, FROSH. THAT'S THE SENIORS.

A particularly obnoxious one sits across from me in Geometry (my only high school class aside from speech in which we had assigned seats). She doesn't shut up, and she's very tactless.

Ew. Baby commercials either freak me out or make me gag. Or both. They're so fluffy. DX  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:20 pm
[Ernie]
sybex Shark
[Ernie]

And...

We're allowed to do anything we want, so long as it's art. Anything. She wants us to try to use different forms, but she won't deduct points if we do nothing but charcoal or pastels for the whole semester. As long as we work during class and participate in critiques, it's all good. I heart our art program (which, unfortunately, already ran out of money about two weeks into school. Our annual fundraiser isn't for another four months, too. For such an artsy school, our art department is severely underfunded).

No, we still have stupid people. Not as many as were at my middle school or are currently at my district high school, but they're there. Especially the freshmen. They act like they own the friggin' school. UM HELLO, FROSH. THAT'S THE SENIORS.

A particularly obnoxious one sits across from me in Geometry (my only high school class aside from speech in which we had assigned seats). She doesn't shut up, and she's very tactless.

Ew. Baby commercials either freak me out or make me gag. Or both. They're so fluffy. DX
crying *jealous* I think ALL art departments are underfunded. Goes along with not being taken seriously. But the irony of an art school with an underfunded art department amuses me, sorry.

Pwahahahaha. My school keeps the freshmen quarintined on the first floor (three-floor building). Supposedly it's for the freshmen's sake, but I'm sure enjoying it. We were probably that annoying as freshmen too, you know, so I figure it's inevitable and quarintine really is the only solution. Admitting you have a problem is the first step, right?

Ugh. I think there's only one freshman in any of my classes, and she's pretty quiet. There are TWO seniors in my Geometry class who are just like that, though. Plus, they bring McDonalds in for breakfast and eat it during class. Damn it, it's a sophmore and ambitious-freshmen class, and sophmores aren't allowed to do go out and get McDonalds. Why should WE suffer for THEIR stupidity?

I hate when they make the babies talk. It sounds so damn obnoxious.

S. Shark

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:41 pm
sybex Shark
crying *jealous* I think ALL art departments are underfunded. Goes along with not being taken seriously. But the irony of an art school with an underfunded art department amuses me, sorry.

Exactly. People think it's a blow-off thing to do, and it's not. Instead cutting our sports programs, they cut our art department. D:<

Quote:
Pwahahahaha. My school keeps the freshmen quarintined on the first floor (three-floor building). Supposedly it's for the freshmen's sake, but I'm sure enjoying it. We were probably that annoying as freshmen too, you know, so I figure it's inevitable and quarintine really is the only solution. Admitting you have a problem is the first step, right?

Actually, I never acted like they do. I don't think all of the freshmen are like that, just most of them. I've met a couple that are really cool, but it seems most of them are really loud and annoying. I know my class was like that, but individually, I don't remember doing anything they did.

Quote:
Ugh. I think there's only one freshman in any of my classes, and she's pretty quiet. There are TWO seniors in my Geometry class who are just like that, though. Plus, they bring McDonalds in for breakfast and eat it during class. Damn it, it's a sophmore and ambitious-freshmen class, and sophmores aren't allowed to do go out and get McDonalds. Why should WE suffer for THEIR stupidity?

We don't have anything like that, thankfully. Not in my math class, anyway.

Quote:
I hate when they make the babies talk. It sounds so damn obnoxious.

IT DOES. mad  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:33 pm
[Ernie]

Exactly. People think it's a blow-off thing to do, and it's not. Instead cutting our sports programs, they cut our art department. D:<
Why is it always sports? Sports are useless. You have to be reallyreallyreallyreally good to make any money from sports. And you learn jack from them, except "team work" which most of us learned in elementary school. At least art is somewhat useful and profitable.
Quote:

Actually, I never acted like they do. I don't think all of the freshmen are like that, just most of them. I've met a couple that are really cool, but it seems most of them are really loud and annoying. I know my class was like that, but individually, I don't remember doing anything they did.
Sure, Ernie. Sure. *pats head*

Kidding. Most is enough. The manga/anime club has a bunch of freshmen this year and they are sooooooooooooooo annoying! They are the definition of otaku in it's most negative connotation. I'm going to have to whip them into shape myself, argh! >_<
Quote:

We don't have anything like that, thankfully. Not in my math class, anyway.

Lucky.
Quote:

IT DOES. mad

AGREEMENT. mad

Hey, does anyone here read Artemis Fowl? ninja  

S. Shark

[Ernie]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:24 pm
sybex Shark
Why is it always sports? Sports are useless. You have to be reallyreallyreallyreally good to make any money from sports. And you learn jack from them, except "team work" which most of us learned in elementary school. At least art is somewhat useful and profitable.

I know! e__e;; Not to mention you could just get people to, you know, pay to do sports, since it's an extracurricular activity.

Quote:
Sure, Ernie. Sure. *pats head*

Kidding. Most is enough. The manga/anime club has a bunch of freshmen this year and they are sooooooooooooooo annoying! They are the definition of otaku in it's most negative connotation. I'm going to have to whip them into shape myself, argh! >_<

We don't have an anime club. I don't think I'd join; it would swarm with people who use fangirl Japanese and make up angsty "original" manga that is practically a conglomerate of Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach with some fairies and ninja added. DX

Quote:
Hey, does anyone here read Artemis Fowl? ninja

I don't. D:

How much does Open Canvas 4 cost?  
Fetal Containment Field

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items