Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
The Hangar Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 125 126 127 128 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FrozenPhoenix32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:57 am
wookiepedia
C-canon is pretty much everything in the Expanded Universe; Star Wars books, comics, games, cartoons, and more. Games are a special case as generally only the stories are C-canon while things like stats and gameplay may not be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:14 am
i'm sorry, but i can't accept that. canon is movies and closely related things. i don't think most EU deserves to be canon. games... maybe jedi knight because it follows a tight storyline, or KOTOR... but then, the latter can swing either way (dark or light) which is pretty important, so...

i just can't see it. EU especially, since there's so much conflict between them and the movies. it's obvious EU wasn't all a part of GL's vision, and star wars basically is dependant on him, the movies, anyway, which are certainly canon. the EU stories are nothing but authors' interpretations of what would happen.

to say all the stories are canon is like saying all the fanfics of gundam or harry potter are canon, even if they're lossely approved by tomino or J.K. Rowling, respectively.  

Nospai Deathous

FrozenPhoenix32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:23 am
Well you do know about the levels of SW canon right?

G-Canon is the highest canon, and anything created by GL. Basically the movies. This takes presedence over the EU.

C-Canon is the EU, and all non-G=canon or self contradicting elements. Eg. Storylines.

then i think theres N-Canon which is like..infinities and all that stuff.

an example of C-Canon is Splinter of the Mind's Eye. According to Lucasfilm, the novel is canon, but the part where Vader lightnings Luke, which, according to GL and G-Canon is impossible, is not canon.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:26 am
that seems kinda catholic church/bible-ish, tho... =/  

Nospai Deathous

Durza the Shade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:26 pm
Nospai Deathous

So? The word "canon" itself comes from religious texts, I think.

That stardestroyer.com quoted earlier seems to think things that weren't seen in the movies automatically aren't true, even though published and authorized material says they are. That's like saying India doesn't exist because you've never been there. One of the great things about Star Wars is that the universe looks real. There's so much stuff going on in the background that we're convinced that even more things are happening off-screen - all of us, that is, except the author of stardestroyer.com.

Capital ships have proton torpedo launchers. Check starwars.com, this is fact. They dont usually use them, not because they're weak, but because they're expensive. The Rebellion was strapped for cash and the Empire didn't need to use torps when lasers did just fine. And as for the Republic and Confederacy, we saw, in Ep. III, large guns on a Republic ship that spit out giant cartridges after firing. Since when do lasers use shells?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:36 pm
Durza the Shade
Nospai Deathous

So? The word "canon" itself comes from religious texts, I think.

That stardestroyer.com quoted earlier seems to think things that weren't seen in the movies automatically aren't true, even though published and authorized material says they are. That's like saying India doesn't exist because you've never been there. One of the great things about Star Wars is that the universe looks real. There's so much stuff going on in the background that we're convinced that even more things are happening off-screen - all of us, that is, except the author of stardestroyer.com.

Capital ships have proton torpedo launchers. Check starwars.com, this is fact. They dont usually use them, not because they're weak, but because they're expensive. The Rebellion was strapped for cash and the Empire didn't need to use torps when lasers did just fine. And as for the Republic and Confederacy, we saw, in Ep. III, large guns on a Republic ship that spit out giant cartridges after firing. Since when do lasers use shells?

Since GL hit the bong!  

FrozenPhoenix32

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:26 am
Actually its Tibanna gas in those cartridges. its the catalyst for creating a damaging laser beam.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:08 am
Cale Darksun
Actually its Tibanna gas in those cartridges. its the catalyst for creating a damaging laser beam.

I knew about the Tibanna, but i didnt know it was in cartidges! I thought it was like.. a gas tank or something.  

FrozenPhoenix32

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:22 am
just like the blaster gas in ammo packs, tibanna comes in a container. rather than hook a line up to the gun which might cause an explosion, the gas is contained in disposable canisters. the canister is inserted into the cannon, the gas ignited, the bolt released, and you have an empty canister. its in a way similar to shell firing artillery pieces today.
Of course that was in the old Republic. the imps and Rebs could do things differently, though my old RP books tell me that turbolasers use gas canisters very similar to the ones shown in RotS.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:33 pm
's kinda funny, i was thinking of designing some 'old' guns that use that concept. they'd be much like revolvers or shotguns, with disposable, pre-filled blaster actuators. that frees up gas space for battery power and guarantees that a blaster shot would be very powerful- a whole "pod" worth of gas, energized, would probably rip through anything. course, heat would be tremendous, as would energy consumption.

as for turbolasers, in new designs, as far as i know, they have some other way to fill the barrels with gas. they apparently shoot a "laser" through high-powered gas to further energize it, increasing its power and range.

and for the canon issue... stemming from your analogy, it's not like saying india doesn't exist because i/he has never seen it. more like saying, "it must exist, because it's on all standard maps approved by the global organization for accurate mapping" (i made that organization up, for demonstration, the real life thing it's an example of is GL, of course)

to say EU doesn't exist, or rather, precisely, cannot be correctly and positively determined to exist as presented, is like saying "all those islands of the coast of India are speculated to exist, but they have not been fully mapped or confirmed by the GOFAM"

kind of like real science. the movies and immediate related materials, all in which GL was very directly involved, are like the "facts" or "theories" of star wars. EU is speculation, or in scienctific terms, "hypothesies".

i have to say i agree with the author of SD.net on many things, but mostly because i simply find that the EU diverges too much from the storyline and tries too hard, and in some cases isn't written very well. of course, i recognize that branching out as far as it has, it is quite an achievement for it to have kept so much consistency intact. however, as such, it is still at great risk of 'messing up' consistency, and therefore is not entirely dependable. it's much easier to say that the movies are "fact" and the rest is speculation.  

Nospai Deathous

FrozenPhoenix32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:51 pm
ANyways... Mara Jade's ships always interested me.

What model was Jade's Fire again?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:13 pm
Jade's Fire, I think, was a heavily modified (of course) SoruSuub 3000, which is the same model of ship as Lando's Lady Luck. I don't know what model the Jade Sabre was, and the Jade Shadow is *checks guide* a SoroSuub Horizon-class Star Yacht.  

Durza the Shade

FrozenPhoenix32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:28 pm
Durza the Shade
Jade's Fire, I think, was a heavily modified (of course) SoruSuub 3000, which is the same model of ship as Lando's Lady Luck. I don't know what model the Jade Sabre was, and the Jade Shadow is *checks guide* a SoroSuub Horizon-class Star Yacht.

I like the Shadow.

Wait up. Didnt she ahave a modded Headhunter?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:09 pm
FrozenPhoenix32
Durza the Shade

I like the Shadow.

Wait up. Didnt she ahave a modded Headhunter?

Technically, that belonged to Karrde's organization, and I don't think Mara ever considered it to be hers. There's a short story in Tales of the New Republic that tells how she got the Jade's Fire, and it mentions how having her very own ship represented freedom to her, or something like that.  

Durza the Shade

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:47 am
I do remember her getting blown out of a Z-95. that I do remember.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 125 126 127 128 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games