Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Your Arsenal Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 45 46 47 48 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:38 pm
Lord Plate
OberFeldwebel

Have you taken off the buttplate on those?
I've heard that some have a note from the soldier that it was issued to.

That would creep me out.

... why? I would find it very cool.
I believe the note explains the soldier's whereabouts when it was issued, and I think where he has been.
Not sure though, never saw one.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:23 pm
OberFeldwebel
k31owner
I have no images as of yet, but my arsenal includes: 1 Swiss K-31 carbine, 1 Uberti Navy Colt .36 cal. pistol, 1 Swedish Husqvarna Model-40 side-by-side, 1 Omega Gardone VT 12 ga. over-under, and soon to be Turkish Mauser 98(only $120 left and she's mine!! whee ). I will be acquiring at least 2 more K-31s, a Mossberg 590, and a Winchester Model-1897 12 ga. trench-gun by the end of next year.

Yes I have. It is a small wax coated card that has the original owners Name, Address, Rank, Division, and Age written on it. Now not all have this info, but all have at least most of it. Mein belonged to a Mr.Robin who was stationed in the French sector of Switzerland. I couldn't quite make out the unit, but i believe it was the pioneers division. He was 37.  

k31owner

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:25 pm
k31owner

Yes I have. It is a small wax coated card that has the original owners Name, Address, Rank, Division, and Age written on it. Now not all have this info, but all have at least most of it. Mein belonged to a Mr.Robin who was stationed in the French sector of Switzerland. I couldn't quite make out the unit, but i believe it was the pioneers division. He was 37.

... If guns could talk ...  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:26 pm
I had some of the things confused, but mein included all that I mentioned.
Here is a link on how to translate the tags and what exactly is on them.

I meant mountain, not pioneer, sorry.  

k31owner

k31owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:29 pm
Freak_090
k31owner

Oh but they do. You just have to focus and listen. Every scratch, ding, dent, and bump tells of the guns history. You just have to listen hard and you will hear it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:34 pm
k31owner
Freak_090
k31owner

Oh but they do. You just have to focus and listen. Every scratch, ding, dent, and bump tells of the guns history. You just have to listen hard and you will hear it.

I don't know Braille. Dents and scratches can come from anything, especially a negligent owner.  

Freak_090
Captain

I am an eggplant
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:41 pm
k31owner
OberFeldwebel
k31owner
I have no images as of yet, but my arsenal includes: 1 Swiss K-31 carbine, 1 Uberti Navy Colt .36 cal. pistol, 1 Swedish Husqvarna Model-40 side-by-side, 1 Omega Gardone VT 12 ga. over-under, and soon to be Turkish Mauser 98(only $120 left and she's mine!! whee ). I will be acquiring at least 2 more K-31s, a Mossberg 590, and a Winchester Model-1897 12 ga. trench-gun by the end of next year.

That's pretty awesome, I saw a guy on Arfcom awhile back who actually found the owner of the rifle. He wrote the guy and was replied to with a explanation of the rifle's history.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:45 pm
SierraBT

That's pretty awesome, I saw a guy on Arfcom awhile back who actually found the owner of the rifle. He wrote the guy and was replied to with a explanation of the rifle's history.

Badass....  

Freak_090
Captain

k31owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:48 pm
Freak_090
k31owner
Freak_090
k31owner

I don't know Braille. Dents and scratches can come from anything, especially a negligent owner.

That is true, but that is still a story the rifle tells.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:50 pm
SierraBT
k31owner
OberFeldwebel
k31owner

It is a big thing for K-31's new owners to write to the families f the original owners. There are entire websites that show you how to do it and what might happen if you get a response.  

k31owner

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:04 pm
OberFeldwebel
k31owner

I heard a story of a 'Nam vet who got his OWN rifle with his OWN note in it. Might just be a story, though.

EDIT: By 'note', I mean a letter he'd been writing to his girlfriend when his unit was attacked, and he shoved it in there and forgot about it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:46 am
k31owner
SierraBT
k31owner
OberFeldwebel
k31owner

It is a big thing for K-31's new owners to write to the families f the original owners. There are entire websites that show you how to do it and what might happen if you get a response.

Hmm, makes me want to get a K31 even more. I do want one because they're a very cool rifle but this just puts it over the top. whee
I'd be disappointed if mine didn't have a tag though.
I guess I'll have to pick the one with dings and scratches that are outside of normal 'storage' wear. biggrin

Fresnel:
That would be a very cool find and if I did find it, it's doubtful that I would have kept it. Maybe a photocopy but I would have tried sending the original to the person.  

OberFeldwebel

k31owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:58 pm
OberFeldwebel
k31owner
SierraBT
k31owner
OberFeldwebel
k31owner

Hmm, makes me want to get a K31 even more. I do want one because they're a very cool rifle but this just puts it over the top. whee
I'd be disappointed if mine didn't have a tag though.
I guess I'll have to pick the one with dings and scratches that are outside of normal 'storage' wear. biggrin

Fresnel:
That would be a very cool find and if I did find it, it's doubtful that I would have kept it. Maybe a photocopy but I would have tried sending the original to the person.

About 9 out of 10 have a tag, some do not because they were either A. non-issued or B. had the tags taken by the owner when he left his unit. Big 5 usually has a good selection of K-31s lying around, unfortunately (like mine) they have the importers stamp on them. It isn't much and can be removed easily, but you would have to reblue the rifle once you remove the stamp(or at least the marked area).  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:01 pm
Well, knock on wood I don't get that 1/10 chance.
But then again maybe I can return it and get another.  

OberFeldwebel

k31owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:53 pm
OberFeldwebel
Well, knock on wood I don't get that 1/10 chance.
But then again maybe I can return it and get another.

It is pretty rare to get a rifle without one, my friend bought 12 and true to the statistics, only one had the tag missing. Just make sure you hand pick one.
Never mind the stock, the metal, bluing, and action smoothness is what counts on the K-31.

The stock on mine is so-so, but the bluing is bright(original of course), the barrel is flawless, and the action is as smooth as silk.
Most people think a rifle has to look good to be of any use, screw that. What good is a good looking rifle if it can't perform? Answer: wall mount.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 45 46 47 48 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games