Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Galactic Travel and Information Help Desk (RP help) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HereticX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:01 pm
Well, if they come from a single direction, they get destroyed up by the main laser. If they spread out, might they be spread out enough that the weapons I presume are spread all around that thing can take them out?
Then again, if they mass huge forces against it, the weapons will be overwhelmed. And you said it takes two weeks to recharge the gun as well?

The idea of a sphere-shape is so that you can face an attack from any direction, the idea of a needle-shape is that you concentrate all your fire along a narrow arc? I'm not a tactician, but Imperious had better hope he's got enough guns coating that thing.

And don't the people of the Republic have very bad memories about black spheres?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:01 pm
Problem is that there is no superlaser to take out ships. If the station is assaulted, then only the turbolasers can defend it, or create a black hole, which won't help much, as the captial ships would be too close to the station by then, which would make the weapon useless, as it would destroy itself in its own attack (or its one pitiful black hole)

Meanwhile, if you have a dagger formation of capital ships, only a certain portion of guns can even reach the capital ships, due to it being a sphere. Hence, the guns are either unable to target the north or south pole, or they are extremely vulnerable as they are protracted (which defeats the purpose, as then they'd be shot off).

Whereas a capital ship can bring about 70% of its guns to bear against a single target, the sphere can only bring at best 40% due to its curves.

But no, the republic has never seen a "black sphere". Even if it did, they aren't necessarily scared, because nobody would ever want to take out Coruscant. If you do that, then you've pissed off everyone, not to mention, for Imperius himself, he couldn't do it anyway, as vital information is on the planet (though that's unknown to Neb.)

Neb just is more methodical than most, and even if his gut screams, he won't let it over-react for him.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

HereticX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:11 pm
Sounds about right. Time for a bit of retconning in the design of the Superweapon?

Hey, what are CapShip weapons? Turbolasers?

Though, mind if I try to go through as a devil's advocate?

Isn't the idea of the Black Hole Cannon to destroy fleets before they can get close? But, it does have a really long charge time; send in a droid fleet or something, then send in the rest of the fleet.

And a superweapon is a slow-firing weapon. It can take out a ship in a single shot, but it takes a while to recharge (or does it have low-power settings?).
And isn't the superlaser slower to track and aim?

Yeah, the needle does seem a more efficient shape, though it depends on how the guns are mounted and if they can be fired behind the ship.

Thing about the Sphere is, it can mount more guns total than a needle of the same volume, can't it? So, it's forty percent might be as powerful or more so than a needle's seventy, especially considering that it's bigger (this a DeathStar-sized design, right?)

Well, they know that Coruscant is valuable enough that people don't want to destroy it, but that doesn't change the fact that someone's put a big superweapon in the skies. People will panic.

As for the military, yeah, fine, I know that he's patient enough to wait and see. I wasn't talking about them entirely, though I'm sure a lot of the people in the crews will sweat.

And it seems that each time there's fighting around Coruscant, large sections of city get trashed.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:36 pm
If FP ever rebutts, I'll continue the workings of Neb's battle strategy.

Though, one must realise, that large sections of coruscant are trashed because the entire planet is city. you can only trash cities...

Yes, the black hole cannon can destroy a fleet before they get close. But the problem is, the Fleet is orbiting coruscant. Your goal is to take coruscant, not destroy it. So the fleet is protected from such an attack, and by the time they are out of range of the planet, they are in range of the station. So the problem is there isn't enough room to fire the weapon without possibly doing massive harm to one's self.

The advantage of the superlaser versus a black hole generator is that a superlaser doesn't have to create massive amounts of gravatic energy. it only needs a pinpoint beam of coherent energy and a fairly large target. Thus, time to recharge is decreased dramatically, and though aiming is harder, most of your targets are too slow to take evasive action. Planets nor capital ships are relatively fast moving things..

With the Mon Cal cruisers, about 70% of the weaponry can be brought to bear at any given target. But due to their shape, they work best head on, because a broadside attack is only about 50% of total guns.

And while a sphere can mount more guns, The larger the sphere, the less guns it can bring to bear on a target in the first place, because the curvature is substancially less inclined to exhibit turrets that are able to maneuver down. Think of it as tires touching the road. Whether its 13 inch rims or 45 inch rims, you still have only about 6 square inches touching the road at any given time.

And you are forgetting, the Black Void is 30 times smaller than the Death Star. Even though many more guns can be brought to bear agaisnt a target, if it maintains shields, weapons, sensors, etc., its using much more energy than the death star would, simply due to the size of the ship's power core.

People may panic, but the size of the orb barely makes a dent on the size of coruscant. Its only about an area of 20 miles that's eclipsed.... kind of sad really. But Just because the military is not taking action, domestic protection such as police may be doing the work instead. I ahve not described any street scene on Coruscant though.

Plus, with as many peopl eon Coruscant as there is, its almost worthless to try and even protect them, because there isn't enough time to evac. even with 2 weeks notice and complete cooperation there wouldn't be enoug time to evac the planet.

So there is no incentive to try and save people's lives, because so many will be killed anyway.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

HereticX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:16 pm
So, you're suggesting I ram into one of the cloaked ships instead? I can see that. I'll see how I want to edit it...

But what will he be doing from one of the ships, besides massively-pissed off slaughter? xd  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:23 pm
Here's how I see it:

*heretic runs into cloaked ship*

Heretic: Hey... what the? What's going on?

*all crews stare at the shuttle, which is now flying sideways*

Neb: What in the world?

*all crews c**k their heads to the side. SD uncloaks*

Neb: Oh, that shuttle just caught onto the invasion fleet. Nothing new...  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:02 am
hey, Im a bit confused on the situation on Umgul.
So the Racing is suspended?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:42 pm
Actually, its up to you. If you want the races to still be going, its fine by me. the statement ont he first page is only a prompt.

Basically, sooner or later, the races will be suspended due to greed.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:44 pm
The aforementioned criminal planet is what though? Nal Hutta?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:48 pm
Cale Darksun
The aforementioned criminal planet is what though? Nal Hutta?
The situation stands:

Nal Hutta's crime lords have learned that jedi and sith alike are after blue shards (the TSQ pieces). In a vain attempt to secure their power (and buy off the winner), they are basically going bounty happy, putting a bounty on whomever holds a shard.

Namely two people: Neb (who is not known by name to own a shard, but is a jedi, and therefore, any jedi and or sith is targeted), and due to our little vergresso shoutoff.... You, cale darksun. The only name of someone known to actually possess a shard.

I'm trying to work people into the storyline. So basically, red-haired jedi masters and Cale darksun are prime targets for rich bounties.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:53 pm
ah ha.
I see now. thanks man.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:56 pm
re edited my last entry so Im on Nal Hutta now.
have no idea how to handle the blob race thing.  

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:18 pm
Cale Darksun
re edited my last entry so Im on Nal Hutta now.
have no idea how to handle the blob race thing.
Easy. Run into the owner of a blob who is can't get his blob will win. Make a deal that if he wins, you get the grand prize of the shard, and him whatever purse there is.

Then proceed from there. But it doesn't matter.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:27 pm
I'm kinda wondering what Cajin can/should do...

Make it to the bridge, and put the ship into lockdown/futz with the ship/put the ship into Mutiny alert (Computer: "Mutiny mode acknowledged. Nerve gas dispensers, activated." twisted ), or something like that?
Then, when he's trying to get on the com to the Republic, psychotic-Twileck Ninja Chick shows up...
Then there's the obligatory major (yet inconclusive) fight aboard a burning/exploding ship...

That sound good, or does anyone have any better suggestions?  

HereticX

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:30 pm
works for me. if you need me I'll be wastin' away in Nal Hutta -ville looking for my lost container of spice.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games