Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
The Hangar Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 125 126 127 128 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AFK Masturbating

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:34 pm
How about those crazy Death Stars?

At the arse end of Ep 3, we see the skeleton of one being built.
And in Ep 4, it's complete.
The timeline is like what, 18-20 years, right?
Now, moving on to the second Death Star, as seen in Ep 6.
The time between that and it's successor is like what? 3-4 years?
Granted, Death Star 2 is but half complete in Return of the Jedi. How would one explain the discrepancy between the times it would take to construct a Death Star?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:30 am
well there are 2 possibalites one could be that they were building 2 death stars at once and one (episode 4) was finished before the second or the empire had extra man working on the death star 2 so that it would be built quicker than the first. also that death star could have been the prototype one that we saw in episode 3.  

NickCpointless

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:56 pm
NickCpointless
well there are 2 possibalites one could be that they were building 2 death stars at once and one (episode 4) was finished before the second or the empire had extra man working on the death star 2 so that it would be built quicker than the first. also that death star could have been the prototype one that we saw in episode 3.

i had thought it was the prototype, until i saw the movie again and realized they weren't building merely the superlaser and structural supports, they were building main panels as well. that means it couldn't have been the prototype.

as for the first idea, no, the second DS was built after yavin. it was in retaliation for the destruction of the first that it was larger and had a better laser.

my guess is that the empire simply had more money and resources. notice that in episode 3, you can't tell if it's a flash forward or not, and that may be a slight possibility. but either way, keep in mind that the empire was still faced with the task of gaining real, total control of everyone. that means they had less funds and manpower to bear on building a station the size of a small moon. of course it would take something like 20 years to build it. notice in ANH, tarkin says they have just dissolved the imperial senate. that denotes that the empire has gained total control of the galaxy and all of the resources it offers, without opposition from politicians. with this in mind, it's easier to believe that they could build a percentage of a newer, larger, more powerful station in about 3 years.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:56 am
Or DS2 and DS3 could have been built togetherish  

FrozenPhoenix32

NickCpointless

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:27 pm
i think you idea sounds better Nospai  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:38 pm
NickCpointless

thank you, but i'm no expert...
and FP: 2 and 3? huh?  

Nospai Deathous

Durza the Shade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:02 pm
NickCpointless

I agree. That makes sense. In his Q&A column in Star Wars Insider, Pablo Hidalgo (the true trivia master) mentions that until the emperor "dissolved the council permanently" in Ep IV, the Senate actually had quite a lot of influence in the Empire. Therefore, keeping the first Death Star secret from them would have taken a lot of resources and ingenuity, and probably slowed construction quite a bit. The Imps didn't have to worry about that for the second DS, because the Senate was already gone. All they had to guard against was Rebel spies.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:34 pm
Durza the Shade
NickCpointless

I agree. That makes sense. In his Q&A column in Star Wars Insider, Pablo Hidalgo (the true trivia master) mentions that until the emperor "dissolved the council permanently" in Ep IV, the Senate actually had quite a lot of influence in the Empire. Therefore, keeping the first Death Star secret from them would have taken a lot of resources and ingenuity, and probably slowed construction quite a bit. The Imps didn't have to worry about that for the second DS, because the Senate was already gone. All they had to guard against was Rebel spies.

it's settled then! next question...

Y-Wings (12) vs. star destroyer. who would win?  

Nospai Deathous

NickCpointless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:31 am
i dout that 12 would be enougth the lazers on the star destroyer can target a ship very quickly and with the speed of the y-wings i think 12 is not enougth unless 6 of them were used to create a diverstion while the other 6 moved in to bomming range then they may have a chance.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:56 am
keep in mind:

SD:
64 turbolasers
60 laser cannons
60 ion cannons
unknown number of missile launchers (unless someone would kindly inform me.. ^_^;;; )

Y-Wing squad:
24 laser cannons (total)
24 ion cannons (total)
72 combined proton torpedoes, out of 24 launchers

keep in mind, Y-Wings are supposed to work with blastboats to destroy cap. ships. usually, smaller than SDs.

= )

i vote Star Destroyer.  

Nospai Deathous

NickCpointless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:15 pm
id say it depends on the tatics used a head on attack would mean the Y-wings would be gone before they could scratch it but a more stelthy approach would give them a chance.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:52 pm
or, just take me, ace mode on Rogue squadron, no wingman.

1 y wing destroys two in about 3 minutes... if I have a coffee in one hand.

As for missile launchers, i say BAH!  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:22 pm
Nelowulf
or, just take me, ace mode on Rogue squadron, no wingman.

1 y wing destroys two in about 3 minutes... if I have a coffee in one hand.

As for missile launchers, i say BAH!

*coughvideogamemechanicsaren'trealisticcough*  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:27 pm
*coughSWisn'trealinthefirstplacecough*  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Nospai Deathous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:38 pm
*coughofcourseit'snotrealbutit'susuallyrealisticcough*
*coughinvideogamesyoucanbeinafighterplaneandbehit5timesandnotdiebutinreallifey
ou'rehitonceanddie,usually,that'srealisticcough*
*coughvideogamesaren'tmeanttoberealisticthey'remeanttobefuncauseiftheywererea
listicthey'dbealotharder,andhavelearningcurvestoosteepcough*
*cougheverhearofthebook'thescienceofstarwars'itexplainshowrealisticstarwarsis,ge
nerally,inthemovies,anyway,andit'sprettyrealisticcough*

mymymy, i have a pretty bad cold, it seems...  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 125 126 127 128 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games