Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Mos Eisley Cantina Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2773 2774 2775 2776 2777 2778 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Missing00

Invisible Guildsman

9,100 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:58 am

It's getting late here, 'night.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:01 am

I Thought the point of the Sai is to disarm your sword swinging opponent and or ruin his sword, thus cutting his effectiveness in half as an opponent.
Its mostly a defensive weapon, used in pairs.

Sol Walker
Crew

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:06 am

Phaser cannons, but disabled, so they basically have to swing 20 lbs or more of a tube at one another.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:08 am

Darkened Angel
Phaser cannons, but disabled, so they basically have to swing 20 lbs or more of a tube at one another.

Did you try plugging 'em in?

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:08 am

Night, missing.

@ Cale: That's what it evolved into; surely you don't suppose that a farm fork was seen as an anti-sword weapon? After all, it originally did not have a long middle prong, nor a blunt tip. Due to the soil's density, it required to have a fairly sharp point on the end. When the middle prong was elongated after its use for defense actualized, several variations of fighting style were introduced.

The most popular one today is indeed defensive, but how would you explain why there are versions of the sai with real blades on them, and perfectly balanced, dating back to before the mejii era? Just as popular of a fighting style was an offensive attack, where the first sai would be drawn as a throwing knife would. Due to the prongs, this allowed a person to not just attack a fleshy body, but experienced masters were also capable of doing one better than a throwing knife by trapping an arm between the prongs. Then, you would proceed to use the remaining two in attack.

However, as the sword became far more popular, and the police adopted juttes instead of sai as personal protection, along with tonfa, coupled with the sheer size of the sai in comparison to kunai or other throwing items, this style went out of fashion for many logical reasons. It did, however, persist as an alternative style even today. If you don't believe me, I'll gladly show you in demonstration.

Its probably not readily recorded history of the sai, but if you do some searching, you'll find that in spite of the media representations of Electra and TMNT, such other uses were in deed prevalent early on, as the adoption of a farm tool to a martial arts weapon was in development.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:13 am

it must be kept in mind that the Sai is not a weapon exclusive to Japan, as its decrease in use in that country came due to the domination of the warrior caste over all aspects of society, who prefered the sword. The Greeks might have encountered a form of this weapon when they hit India.

What style do you use?

Sol Walker
Crew

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:13 am

Nelowulf
Des Voh
I feel flattered now. mrgreen

Yes. Now you have virtual tail. No more can we point out the internet hates you. [/apathetic sarcasm]

Now, Johnny is the only mod that doesn't have any, or choose to have any.

*edit: Come to think of it, perhaps i should talk like HM, as I have gotten into the habit of the bracket system of conversing.

Whiskey is the only woman I will ever need....ok maybe not, but its a damn good substitute!

Cale: I know how to fight with a cutlass and can knife fight.

Oh yeah, got busy will post tommorow in RP.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:16 am

You mean Martial Arts? Or of the sai?

When it comes to sai, I know the traditional form (which was self-taught through books and videos), the agressive form (which was taught from my sensei, who actually showed me the books and evidence about it), and i've been developing an inversed grip form.

I'm good with Katana, epee, saber, and staff, for being mostly self-taught in those (at least in friendly spars, my win ratio is around 70%). But none of those comes close to my handiwork with three sai.

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:16 am

Johnny Malone
Nelowulf
Des Voh

Yes. Now you have virtual tail. No more can we point out the internet hates you. [/apathetic sarcasm]

*edit: Come to think of it, perhaps i should talk like HM, as I have gotten into the habit of the bracket system of conversing.

Whiskey is the only woman I will ever need....ok maybe not, but its a damn good substitute!

You dont own a cutlass, not that i remember. Nor do I recall you ever saying before that you used the heavier weapon. You favor the thinner blades of olympic style fencing.

You dont have any spare tickets do you? sweatdrop
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:20 am

Cale Darksun
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf
Des Voh

You dont own a cutlass, not that i remember. Nor do I recall you ever saying before that you used the heavier weapon. You favor the thinner blades of olympic style fencing.

I favor the thinner weapons yes but my prefered weapon is the basket hilt Scottish broadsword, which has a bit of weight behind it. My full tang stage broadsword is still the pride of my meager collection.

EDIT: yeah I have some spare tickets I can give you.

Johnny Malone
Crew

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:20 am

Nelowulf

When it comes to sai, I know the traditional form (which was self-taught through books and videos), the agressive form (which was taught from my sensei, who actually showed me the books and evidence about it), and i've been developing an inversed grip form.

I'm good with Katana, epee, saber, and staff, for being mostly self-taught in those (at least in friendly spars, my win ratio is around 70%). But none of those comes close to my handiwork with three sai.

Martial art. What school of war did you learn it through? Something origionating in Okinawa?

I only know a little Katana work, a little moe knife work, some boxing, and some martial arts.
I'm good with a staff but thats self taught and honed on our more agressive cattle. Not exactly good sparing partners.
My knowledge of the Martial arts is more academic than practical, as its been a hobby of mine to study the history and use of Martial Arts.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:24 am

Johnny Malone
Cale Darksun
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf
Des Voh

I favor the thinner weapons yes but my prefered weapon is the basket hilt Scottish broadsword, which has a bit of weight behind it. My full tang stage broadsword is still the pride of my meager collection.

Cant say I'd use that cowkiller. If I'm going for a big weapon I'd go for a fire axe before that thing.
And thanks a bunch mate. That puts me 2k away from my goal.

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:25 am

Cale Darksun
Nelowulf

Martial art. What school of war did you learn it through? Something origionating in Okinawa?

I only know a little Katana work, a little moe knife work, some boxing, and some martial arts.
I'm good with a staff but thats self taught and honed on our more agressive cattle. Not exactly good sparing partners.
My knowledge of the Martial arts is more academic than practical, as its been a hobby of mine to study the history and use of Martial Arts.

Well, i learned sai in California. Fumio Demura was my sensei, perhaps you have heard of him.

As for martial arts, I've been bastardized through a series of Shito Ryu, Boxing, and a bit of gung fu. Though i also partake in a bit of Jeet Kun Do as a personal hobby, though i will not admit to much expertise.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:27 am

Cale Darksun
Johnny Malone
Cale Darksun
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf
Des Voh

Cant say I'd use that cowkiller. If I'm going for a big weapon I'd go for a fire axe before that thing.
It's actualy a really nice weapon when you get used to it, but to each his own I guess. (Besides it's only for stage performances to get a non-stage combat one would cost me quite a bit more than what I paid for it. Money that could go to college, saving for my kilt, or feeding my pipe smoking habit.)

Johnny Malone
Crew

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:29 am

So I just realized how expensive the Musketeer outfit is.... looks like I will be saving for a while with this stuff.
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2773 2774 2775 2776 2777 2778 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games