Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Mos Eisley Cantina Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2775 2776 2777 2778 2779 2780 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:51 am

You and me need to get together. I've been itching to face that awful selfishness for some time, and no better way to do that than relive my days as a ten-year-old-zorro-who-actually-is-quite-a-bit-older-and-probably-really-sucks-bad-now-person.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:51 am

At least you can handle two swords.
I read the Five Rings by Musashi Miyamoto and tried his Niten Ryu with Bokken.
It was too much for me to keep track of, but I could easily see how it would be advantageous, as the opponent of such a style has to keep track of twice as many blades as well. Make the wrong move and the short blade goes in a rib or the long blade hacks something off.

Sol Walker
Crew

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:53 am

Nelowulf
You and me need to get together. I've been itching to face that awful selfishness for some time, and no better way to do that than relive my days as a ten-year-old-zorro-who-actually-is-quite-a-bit-older-and-probably-really-sucks-bad-now-person.

I wonder if around xmas break we could arrange that somehow...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:54 am

Nelowulf
Same here, last time I fenced was when I was fourteen and I haven't done any since then. All of my old gear doesn't fit and all I have is my old foil. I used my groups swords for the most part (huzzah for having no money!) I think I can still do the stance..... I think. But I would love to relive the old days.

Johnny Malone
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:57 am

Not Xmas break; my parents are actually planning a ski trip. Nearly shat my pants when they mentioned it too. Although, i get both a spring and an easter break, which would be quite useful if you think you have time. I think the easter break we'd actually have to be out of dorms forcefully, so the spring break may be better.

And two foils or sabers is completely different from two bokken. I know, i've tried the two. I don't think a pair of katanas will work though; something tells me that Miyamoto was either a) really way too damn skilled or b) the more likely, he used wakazashis, which would be far easier to control.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:58 am

Johnny Malone
Nelowulf
Same here, last time I fenced was when I was fourteen and I haven't done any since then. All of my old gear doesn't fit and all I have is my old foil. I used my groups swords for the most part (huzzah for having no money!) I think I can still do the stance..... I think. But I would love to relive the old days.

That stance I always see in those training manuals? where you stand knees bent or something?

Sol Walker
Crew

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:01 am

Nelowulf
Not Xmas break; my parents are actually planning a ski trip. Nearly shat my pants when they mentioned it too. Although, i get both a spring and an easter break, which would be quite useful if you think you have time. I think the easter break we'd actually have to be out of dorms forcefully, so the spring break may be better.

And two foils or sabers is completely different from two bokken. I know, i've tried the two. I don't think a pair of katanas will work though; something tells me that Miyamoto was either a) really way too damn skilled or b) the more likely, he used wakazashis, which would be far easier to control.

No no no.
Musashi used a Katana and wakisashi. Only an idiot uses two Katanas. (I happened to have a wakasashi length Bokken at the time.)
In my last post I explicitly mention a long blade and a short blade.

Johnny is only in NE for xmas break. I dont think he comes back for Spring.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:04 am

Cale Darksun
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf

That stance I always see in those training manuals? where you stand knees bent or something?
Yeah thats it. Also I need to get into shape... huzzah for not exercising like I used to!

Johnny Malone
Crew

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:05 am

Johnny Malone
Cale Darksun
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf

Yeah thats it. Also I need to get into shape... huzzah for not exercising like I used to!

YOU need to get into shape?
I'm 20 lbs overweight and it drives me nuts.

I may be back for Spring break but not Easter I only get Good Friday off.

Johnny Malone
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

I don't think Johnny was speicifcally talking about iron horse stance, but perhaps....

As for the twin blades, ah so. Still... I think the weight of the katana, and its design, are non-condusive to a one-handed grip. The Tang is just simply too large. its like trying to use a b*****d sword one handed, it just doesn't work.

The katana's katas are quite relative to the way a guillitine works. With the wrist as a fulcrum, it's curved blade is optimized for use when it works like a third-class lever, rather than with the simpler point and stab method of more flat swords, such as the dao. At least, from the physics persepective of the blade, you'd be stupid to try and use a katana one handed...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:06 am

Cale Darksun
Johnny Malone
Cale Darksun
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf

YOU need to get into shape?
I'm 20 lbs overweight and it drives me nuts.
Well, I am trying to get rid of my gut, I started running earlier this year but stopped as the weather got colder.

Johnny Malone
Crew

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:08 am

I can out juggle/twirl Ocelot with a pair of revolvers. Plus I can speedload pretty quick. If I'm prepped at the moment I kick the thing open, I can do it in a second.

Then again, I don't mess with them as much lately so I'm probably outta practice now.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:08 am

You're just storing fat for the winter, right johnny? just like a bear for hybernation?

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:10 am

Nelowulf
You're just storing fat for the winter, right johnny? just like a bear for hybernation?
Yeah, I've been storing for the past 5 years. I am ready to survive any winter short of a Nuclear one. On an interesting note many of my friends at college say I act a lot like a bear in my mannerisms. I think I should change my name to Johnny "The Bear" Malone.
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2775 2776 2777 2778 2779 2780 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games