Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Mos Eisley Cantina Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2776 2777 2778 2779 2780 2781 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:14 am

Nelowulf
I don't think Johnny was speicifcally talking about iron horse stance, but perhaps....

As for the twin blades, ah so. Still... I think the weight of the katana, and its design, are non-condusive to a one-handed grip. The Tang is just simply too large. its like trying to use a b*****d sword one handed, it just doesn't work.

The katana's katas are quite relative to the way a guillitine works. With the wrist as a fulcrum, it's curved blade is optimized for use when it works like a third-class lever, rather than with the simpler point and stab method of more flat swords, such as the dao. At least, from the physics persepective of the blade, you'd be stupid to try and use a katana one handed...

Musashi made his living as a shugyosha, an itinerant swordsman who lived only to increse his skill and deepen his understanding on the way of the martial arts.
The skill of a man who's life is dependent on his swordsmanship is unknown in this age.
Another excuse could be that Musashi was a very clever fighter(Something which is backed up by historical evidence). This would translate to him being something of an opportunist in a fight. He might have drawn his shortsword at an oportune time to strike a lethal blow 9Something unheard of in Samurai circles and therefore unexpected), otherwise focused on using one sword.
There is however records of his fight with a Kusari-gama user where he actually used his wakisashi.
According to the reports, Musashi lost his longsword, then drew and chucked his wakisashi like a throwing knife, driving it in the head of his opponent and killing him.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:14 am

Johnny Malone
Nelowulf
You're just storing fat for the winter, right johnny? just like a bear for hybernation?
Yeah, I've been storing for the past 5 years. I am ready to survive any winter short of a Nuclear one. On an interesting note many of my friends at college say I act a lot like a bear in my mannerisms. I think I should change my name to Johnny "The Bear" Malone.

At least you'll fit into a boxing ring quite well with a name like that.

I don't really have any nicknames... Kind of wish I did, at least it'd be easier to distinguish when someone is calling my name, since it rhymes with like seven other commonly used words...

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:15 am

Darkened Angel
I can out juggle/twirl Ocelot with a pair of revolvers. Plus I can speedload pretty quick. If I'm prepped at the moment I kick the thing open, I can do it in a second.

Then again, I don't mess with them as much lately so I'm probably outta practice now.

eek
I love you.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:16 am

Nelowulf
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf
You're just storing fat for the winter, right johnny? just like a bear for hybernation?
Yeah, I've been storing for the past 5 years. I am ready to survive any winter short of a Nuclear one. On an interesting note many of my friends at college say I act a lot like a bear in my mannerisms. I think I should change my name to Johnny "The Bear" Malone.

I don't really have any nicknames... Kind of wish I did, at least it'd be easier to distinguish when someone is calling my name, since it rhymes with like seven other commonly used words...

Ive got a few nicknames.
My cousin calls me C-bones, though I cant figure out why. But he is something of an oddball.

Sol Walker
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:18 am

Cale Darksun
Nelowulf
I don't think Johnny was speicifcally talking about iron horse stance, but perhaps....

As for the twin blades, ah so. Still... I think the weight of the katana, and its design, are non-condusive to a one-handed grip. The Tang is just simply too large. its like trying to use a b*****d sword one handed, it just doesn't work.

The katana's katas are quite relative to the way a guillitine works. With the wrist as a fulcrum, it's curved blade is optimized for use when it works like a third-class lever, rather than with the simpler point and stab method of more flat swords, such as the dao. At least, from the physics persepective of the blade, you'd be stupid to try and use a katana one handed...

Musashi made his living as a shugyosha, an itinerant swordsman who lived only to increse his skill and deepen his understanding on the way of the martial arts.
The skill of a man who's life is dependent on his swordsmanship is unknown in this age.
Another excuse could be that Musashi was a very clever fighter(Something which is backed up by historical evidence). This would translate to him being something of an opportunist in a fight. He might have drawn his shortsword at an oportune time to strike a lethal blow 9Something unheard of in Samurai circles and therefore unexpected), otherwise focused on using one sword.
There is however records of his fight with a Kusari-gama user where he actually used his wakisashi.
According to the reports, Musashi lost his longsword, then drew and chucked his wakisashi like a throwing knife, driving it in the head of his opponent and killing him.

I'm surprized that his accounts tell of such flagrant use of the Katana; in reality, the blade was more of a warblade than a personal fighting weapon. I think, though my research in the subject is hazy anymore, that the actual use of the katana has been overblown by the media, and in reality, the wakasashi was a far more widely used blade than what most people percieve, especially in towns or buildings, where the length of the katana was ill-suited...

But eh. Legends and myths are good for inspiriation, but as most of us who have ever gotten into a fight before know, Martial arts and getting into a real fight are two totally different things.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:18 am

Nelowulf
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf

Yeah, the bear is a good animal to be associated with. It means I am big and ferocious while being cuddly at the same time. Best of both worlds.

Johnny Malone
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:20 am

Johnny Malone
Nelowulf
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf

Yeah, the bear is a good animal to be associated with. It means I am big and ferocious while being cuddly at the same time. Best of both worlds.

If you say so, Pooh. Personally, I don't know anyone who really owns a grizzly for the sake of hugging it, but stranger things exist.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:23 am

In the Tokugawa era, they wrote EVERYTHING down. Its absurd how many writtings survive from that era.
And my research indicates that the Katana was used outdoors, the very act of wearing one marking someone as a wario because it was indeed a warblade. (Hence why after Tokugawa toook over the peasants were forbidden from using them.) The wakisashi was used frequently indoors and even the wives of samurai knew how to use wakisashi.

The Katana's abilities are indeed overrated.
Its sharpness especially.
I'd like to see what a 17th century samurai would do when facing a moderately wealthy 9th century Viking.
Thats Chainmail, helmet, shield AND sword. Not just an axe.

Sol Walker
Crew

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:25 am

Nelowulf
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf
Johnny Malone
Nelowulf

If you say so, Pooh. Personally, I don't know anyone who really owns a grizzly for the sake of hugging it, but stranger things exist.

I dont want anything to do with Bears.
I'd rather be identified with the Wolf.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:25 am

Well it's almost 5:30 here and I need sleep.

Slainte!

Johnny Malone
Crew

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:26 am

I dunno about sharpness of the ancient blades, but the modern ones are pretty damn easy to cut one's finger off.

I know, because I had to specifically order an unsharpened one from china for a graduation present for my friend, and it'll still cut a hair that falls on it. I'd hate to see what a laser-fine edge can really do...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:26 am

Johnny Malone
Well it's almost 5:30 here and I need sleep.

Slainte!

I've already slept 4 hours tonight. I'm wide awake now.

Sol Walker
Crew

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:30 am

Nelowulf
I dunno about sharpness of the ancient blades, but the modern ones are pretty damn easy to cut one's finger off.

I know, because I had to specifically order an unsharpened one from china for a graduation present for my friend, and it'll still cut a hair that falls on it. I'd hate to see what a laser-fine edge can really do...

Not sharp enough to cut chainmail and a shield made from the tough wood of scandinavia.
A samurai wouldn't even know how the hell to handle someone armed with a shield.
The running and screaming typical of a viking attack they could handle, but a shield is utterly foreign to them.

The sharpness of modern blades is incomparable to ancient weapons.
We can mass produce in days what a single smith would spend a month doing, and we can observe the process on the microscopic level, utilizing lasers and diamonds and a host of other technologies that they could only dream of.
Imagine the masterpieces Masamune could construct if he had access to the technology of today.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:32 am

Cale Darksun
Darkened Angel
I can out juggle/twirl Ocelot with a pair of revolvers. Plus I can speedload pretty quick. If I'm prepped at the moment I kick the thing open, I can do it in a second.

Then again, I don't mess with them as much lately so I'm probably outta practice now.

eek
I love you.
Well duh, like every night... Incidently, don't be so rough next time like you were earlier.

Darkened Angel
Vice Captain

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:32 am

True.

Though Samurai vs. Viking, I wouldn't just write out the samurai. With the shield and all the mail, if the blades were equitable in strength of metal, I figure it depends all on the strength of the warriors. A samurai's armor was far lighter per square inch with bamboo than anything brought up with metal.

Essentially, a classic heavy vs. light matchup.
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 2776 2777 2778 2779 2780 2781 ... 5665 5666 5667 5668 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games