Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Word of the Day Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Queen of the Blue Twins

1,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:53 pm
Masamune no Hi
These word of the days are taken from a website, so we would use thos instead of ones we suggest.

Ok. Sorry. People just seemed annoyed that they didn't know alot of them and I though one that might actually be used in a normal week would be appreciated. Won't happen again. redface

On the other side of it - I do keep coming back to see what other seriously obscure word this site is coming up with, so I guess it is still interesting. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:03 am
yeasty: frothy; foamy; spumy, like yeast.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Dea Mariella

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:58 pm
echolalia: (sp?) a medical condition in which a person habitually repeats a word or two.

...this is my friend's fave word, and she said that word that she used as an echolaliac (in her head only) was echolalia. Just listen to the sound of it...echolalia...it just sounds nice. whee

Dea-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:00 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
paladin: a champion of a cause.

Has anyone ever read the short story Paladin of the Lost Hour? I forget who it's written by, but it is available to read online in various places. I would recommend it to anyone.

Dea-chan

Dea Mariella

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:41 pm
extemporaneous: composed, performed, or uttered on the spur of the moment.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:46 pm
This is interesting ^.- Could I suggest some? For school we have to write Vocabulary Cards and find the diffenitions of weird words so I have many swirling about my mind! Ambiguous, Obfuscate, Imperturbable, Excrete, and, many, many, more XD I have them pounded into my poor brain... sweatdrop  

- Xenn be Twisted -

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:25 pm
legerdemain lej-er-duh-MAYN noun
*1 : sleight of hand
2 : a display of skill and adroitness

Example sentence:
It was an impressive feat of legerdemain for Shane to take a dollar bill and instantly turn it into twenty nickels.

Did you know?
In Middle French, folks who were clever enough to fool others with fast-fingered illusions were described as "leger de main," literally "light of hand." English speakers condensed that phrase into a noun when they borrowed it in the 15th century and began using it as an alternative to the older "sleight of hand." (That term for dexterity or skill in using one's hands makes use of "sleight," an old word from Middle English that derives from an Old Norse word meaning "sly.") In more modern times, a feat of legerdemain can even be accomplished without using your hands, as in, for example, "an impressive bit of financial legerdemain."

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:43 am
Wow! Some of these words I will probably not use very often. Those are a bit confusing  

Radio Chaos

- Xenn be Twisted -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:26 pm
socceridol1
Wow! Some of these words I will probably not use very often. Those are a bit confusing

Which words are you taking about for the second "Those"?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:56 am
cohort:A group or band of people;A group of people sharing a common statistical factor (as age or membership in a class) in a demographic study.

Ultimately we could have the know-how to breed these groups of human beings -- called 'clones' after the Greek word for a throng -- to produce a cohort of super-astronauts or dustmen, soldiers or senators, each with identical physical and mental characteristics most suited to do the job they have to do.
-- William Breckon

Cohort derives from Latin cohors, "an enclosure, a yard," hence, "a division of an army camp," hence "a troop, a company," hence, "a division of the Roman army."  

Shelton3369

Friendly Gaian

7,975 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:21 pm
zaibatsu zye-BAHT-soo noun
: a powerful financial and industrial conglomerate of Japan

Example sentence:
As owners of a zaibatsu with interests in the insurance and banking industries, the family's
decisions had an undeniable impact on the Japanese economy.

Did you know?
"Zaibatsu" is a compound formed by the Japanese words "zai," meaning "money" or "wealth," and "batsu," meaning "clique" or "clan." The word refers to one of several large capitalist enterprises that developed in Japan after the Meiji Restoration of 1868 and that expanded rapidly during World War I. Each zaibatsu was typically organized around a single family and controlled interests in multiple areas, such as mining, foreign trade, textiles, insurance, and especially banks. While zaibatsus were dissolved during the Allied occupation of Japan following World War II (around the time the word entered English), many of the individual companies that comprised them continued to be managed as they had been, and the term has survived.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Here's a huge word I learned from my college prof. You don't hear this everyday.

Mithridatism - Immunity to poison by gradually intaking the poison itself  

stealth251

Duke.Lychee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:50 pm
ochlocracy: government by the mob; mob rule  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:53 pm
tergiversation: evasion of a straightforward or clear-cut statement  

Duke.Lychee

SchwickilySargasmicBby

450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Statustician 100