Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
Galactic Travel and Information Help Desk (RP help) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 288 289 290 291 292 293 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:17 pm
Do I have to explain the Alliance Doctrine from the Galactic Civil War?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:21 pm
I disagree Nelo on parts. I feel that the focus *should* be on the RP, but I don't see how coming up with statted ships for full fleets is going to affect the focus of the RP. It allows you to focus more on the RP, with ships that map what you can and can't do with them, not having to pull things out of your a** for space combat...besides, in CotGCW, it was a setting with plenty of already created vessels. In Legacy we don't have that luxury, so we have to create our own.  

PaulTheWolf5575

ElladanKenet
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:24 pm
Go ahead and explain, because evidently only Stellar knows >>  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:27 pm
PaulTheWolf5575
I disagree Nelo on parts. I feel that the focus *should* be on the RP, but I don't see how coming up with statted ships for full fleets is going to affect the focus of the RP. It allows you to focus more on the RP, with ships that map what you can and can't do with them, not having to pull things out of your a** for space combat...besides, in CotGCW, it was a setting with plenty of already created vessels. In Legacy we don't have that luxury, so we have to create our own.

I disagree with that because making a complete army with full stats for every ship just makes everything more complicated. What makes the RP is how you use the ships, not how strong the ships the ships are. An RP is about the characters and their actions. How they overcome adversity, not how strong the fifth strongest ship is.  

Ral Roke

Dangerous Hunter

PaulTheWolf5575

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:36 pm
You do have a valid point Ral, but it makes it a lot easier for characters to make actions in certain situations to know what the statistics of the ships they have are. I am not saying it is the most important thing, but simply that it is fairly important...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:44 pm
During most of the Galactic Civil War Alliance Policy was to avoid direct engagements with the enemy. To ensure the survival of fleet elements ships would be scattered across the galaxy, often times a sector would be patroled only by a single task force that would jump from empty system to empty system and sending Medium Transports to rendevous with smugglers and traders to procure supplies.

The Alliance Fleet was broken up into small taskforces of around six to ten ships. These Task Forces were usually a collection of small ships focused around a single destroyer class vessel (Usually an MC80).

These Task Forces acted as mobile bases where fighters would launch strike missions against Imperial Convoys and facilities. An attack to eliminate an Imperial-class was a major operation requiring a number of missions to remove support from the ship before it would be directly attacked by the Task Force, usually the attack would be conducted exclusively by fighter squadrons.

If the task force was attacked by a force of equal number or even slightly smaller size the task force would flee to escape being bogged down in an engagement long enough for the Imperials reinforcements to arrive.  

stellarmagic

ElladanKenet
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:00 pm
That's basically what we were discussing...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:46 pm
PaulTheWolf5575
You do have a valid point Ral, but it makes it a lot easier for characters to make actions in certain situations to know what the statistics of the ships they have are. I am not saying it is the most important thing, but simply that it is fairly important...

True, but also untrue.

CotGCW we had ships, that's true, but we rarely denoted designations half the time. WE just said there were a certain number of ships and that was that.

For the most part, we focused on the individuals fighting. Even when i defended mon calimari, I only commanded what was in the general vicinity.

But you get all these ships, and nobody is going to look at the stats. You're going to wind up having stellar and yourself playing the statistical game, while everyone else is going to just say "corvette" and "frigate".

You're assuming too much out of the RPers. You're extremely statistical. Most of us arent'. While you may enjoy knowing what the stats are, what happens is you're going to find that it'll kill you in the end.

Making statistics for every ship in the fleet may aid in finding a weakness. But you fail to comprehend one small fact: Its too specific.

What happens if I happen to... lets say... use a different corvette?

You're royally ********, that's what.

If you're worried about the statistics, if you argue for definition on such a minor part such as gun numbers, you're only proving my point. You're not focusing on the RP. Seriously, when has the hyperdrive speed of a frigate mattered? On the one sole occasion which it might just maybe make a difference, then you can come b***h to me.

Otherwise its just wasting more effort than is needed. All writing up stats for a hundred ships for each side does is give a security blanket for those who take the RP too seriously, and push too strongly.

I mean, tell me this: Is it that important to know how strong a ship is, if it's only going to be mentioned in side conversation?

Are you that insecure that you'll lose every fight if you don't know the precise number of torpedoes it holds, the speed of its engines, and every other statistic that most people in the RP take for granted?

I mean, if you're that a**l on ship statistics, then you should be just as a**l on everything. Especially the biographies. You're scared of a couple guns on a ship, yet my ambiguity as a sith doesn't concern you in the least?

That's my point. Not everyone's going to be eyeballing every stat on every ship and then making decisions. Just go with the flow. Is that really so hard to do?  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

ElladanKenet
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:32 pm
We're not worried about you because right now we don't have to be worried about you.

It's not like the Sith are knocking on our front door and phoning us at all hours of the night like a bunch of bill-collectors.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:33 pm
Oh I know, but you can also agree that the idea bears some merit...and you are right.

It really depends. In dedicated fleet battles (like those of Stellar and EK) it is very useful to know vessel statistics, but aside from that no.

And only one aspect of me is concerned by ships, those that will use them in combat. The other is very concerned about Ferno...and his Viro Troopers.

Besides, I just enjoy statting ships... xd  

PaulTheWolf5575

ElladanKenet
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:02 pm
So is the RP ever going to end? People are still comming up with new posts...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:11 pm
ElladanKenet
So is the RP ever going to end? People are still comming up with new posts...

You said it, I finished up in early december right before I left, I expected it to be done by the time I got back.  

Johnny Malone
Crew

PaulTheWolf5575

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:14 pm
The Holidays slowed us down...but we have one last plot line to wrap up...should be done pretty quick...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:26 pm
Hey Johnny, thinking about Koth's bio yet? Let me know some of the details so we don't screw them up.  

Ral Roke

Dangerous Hunter

Johnny Malone
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:28 pm
Will do, I am working on updating Iust for the Legacy 2 at the moment, will get to Koth either later tonight or tommorow.  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 288 289 290 291 292 293 ... 716 717 718 719 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games