Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Top Ten Things that annoys knitters Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:55 pm
I have to say that I do not normaly use acrylic yarn, I just like wool's and narural fibers. I mean... the clothes that I buy are what ever they are, but if I'm hand kitting some thing, like they did way back when, I want to use some thing that they could have used back then... it makes me feel like I'm getting back to my root's.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:51 pm
New annoyance:

When you look in your needle kit to find you have size 9 straights; size 9 DPNs, Size 9 circular 16".... but no size 9 24" circular (and that's the one you need.. evil )  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:02 pm
not really anoying, but today a woman came into my shop, and saw my knitting and spinning un the couch... she thought it was cool that I do it, but asked me, "but dosent that take a long time to make anything?" ...it take's a wile to make dinner when we could just eat take-out every day, but we still cook don't we?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:47 pm
Tinuvial
I have to speak up on behalf of "yarn snobs" because it sounds like you guys would consider me one. O.o

It's true that I avoid yarns with high acrylic content - not because they're cheap. I avoid them because acrylic makes my hands feel sweaty when I work with it (and when I wear the garment later). Also, I never make anything for babies in yarns with high acrylic content because it's not flame retardant.

I've found that it's nicer (and potentially safer) to knit with non-acrylic.

I never really considered myself a yarn snob, but maybe this means that I am. redface

Yarn snobs, at least in my opinion, are the ones who look down on a knitter because they use the cheaper yarn. I prefer natural fibers when i can get them. I'm a sucker for cottons and alpaca and silk and all those yummy natural fibers, but at the prices you can buy them at... well... i get like $14 a week, which i tend to spend on things like food when i go out or (at the moment) birthday presents for my girlfriend.
I don't have any objection to people not working with them, but don't look at me like i'm the scum of the earth when i need a $2.19 skein of yarn that can make a whole scarf, and a non-natural fiber falls in that category.

Lee: Whats annoying is when they say "Doesn't that take a long time?" and you go to say "Yes, but i enjoy the knitting more then the scarf" and the decide to answer their own question by saying "Of course it does! I don't know why you'd spend all that time working on a scarf when you could buy one for $15..." and you hold up your yarn and say "$2.19" and they say "It can't feel good then." and you dare them to touch it, and they just walk away. sweatdrop  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:39 am
sonicrunner001
Tinuvial

Also, I never make anything for babies in yarns with high acrylic content because it's not flame retardant.
:

Does anybody have a cool knit hat pattern they would like to share. (that they can share)

I like the Worms in Grass. The pattern is crochet, but could probably be adapted very easily.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:43 am
AriRashkae
sonicrunner001
Tinuvial

Also, I never make anything for babies in yarns with high acrylic content because it's not flame retardant.
:

Does anybody have a cool knit hat pattern they would like to share. (that they can share)

I like the Worms in Grass. The pattern is crochet, but could probably be adapted very easily.

Mmm, good pattern smile

Here is a small motherload from knitty: http://knitty.com/archiveHEADS.html  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

everwonderwhy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:17 am
When you go to the store all hyped up and excited because you're going to buy this amazingly beautiful yarn for a nice new project and you been able to go allllll week. But when you get there the store people say they don't carry that type of yarn.
(Unless somebody already put something like this...then sorry! ^-^")  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:07 pm
Things that annoy me-
1) That I haven't figured out how to read a paperback and knit at the same time
2) Dropped stitches in garter stitch. They're hell to pick up again
3) Metal needles because they make that awful scrapping noise
4) Unappriecated gifts (I worked hard on that !)
5) The long standing argument I have with my sister on the difference between craft and art
6) "Oh, aren't you a little young to be tackling a project like that dear?"
7) Teaching other people to knit, when they give up and expect me to do it
cool Yarn pills are the DEBIL!  

Blue-eyes-green

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:16 pm
1. If I am copying out a chart (which I do for all my written patterns, it's easier for me) or counting stitches, attempting to engage me in conversation. Especially with lace patterns.

2. Patterns where no yardage requirements are given, or weight (ounces) is given, but not weight (of yarn).

3. Scratchy yarns made from non-scratchy fibers. I don't understand it. I recycled a $5 50/50 angora/lambswool sweater, and it's too prickly to use as a scarf. It makes me sad.

4. People who see you every day, working on the same project, who ask you every day what you're making. It's the same thing as yesterday. Seriously.

5. Unintended color pooling in variegated yarn.

6. Novelty yarn.

7. People who assume that just because you knit, you will knit them something/fix their knitted item.

8. People who assume you knit only because you have nothing better to do.

9. People who assume that just because you knit, you cannot be a feminist.

10. People who assume that just because you are female and knitting, you are pregnant. (Seriously, what the hell?)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:11 pm
YourAzureGoddess
Tinuvial
I have to speak up on behalf of "yarn snobs" because it sounds like you guys would consider me one. O.o

It's true that I avoid yarns with high acrylic content - not because they're cheap. I avoid them because acrylic makes my hands feel sweaty when I work with it (and when I wear the garment later). Also, I never make anything for babies in yarns with high acrylic content because it's not flame retardant.

I've found that it's nicer (and potentially safer) to knit with non-acrylic.

I never really considered myself a yarn snob, but maybe this means that I am. redface

I don't really think yarn snobbery can be considered a war of natural vs. synthetic. I rarely use acrylic anymore either. That's not because I have any hate against Red Heart Super Saver or Caron Super Soft... it's because I love wool. Simple good plain wool is my fav.

I think yarn snobbery is luxury fiber vs. simple fiber. When you start going "Oh my god, you're using plain old fisherman's wool (Or super soft or what have you) Why aren't you using this hand painted, hand dyed, luxury spun silk alpaca mix?" that's yarn snobbery

(Not that I would mind a silk alpaca mix.... Mmm... that would be yummy. I just don't believe *ALL* my yarn purchases have to come from the high end yarn shop. I'm an equal opportunity knitter)

O Goddess, you should learn to SPIN! It's the bestest hobby ever and puts those handspun, handpainted luxury yarns within budget!  

Enigmaa

Cyanna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:07 pm
There's a guy I work with...nice guy...but he finds the fact that I knit/crochet to be soooooo cute! As in...little kid cute...I'm 23. I know I'm one of the youngest employees (if not THE youngest) and that your wife likes needlecrafts. But talking that way to me is kinda....embarrassing.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:23 pm
bookaholic
Dropping stitches and not seeing it until five rows later.

That happens to me a LOT.

It happens to me a lot, too. sweatdrop

Also, I hate it when I'm working on something, and then I'm forced to do something in the middle of the row. I get so frustrated when I come back because I've usually dropped a stitch and other things. xD  

Ko Ko Skyeee

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:52 pm
when there is a pattern I want and I can't figure out how to buy it!

Check it out -> Kitty Kat

I wantses the cute!!

Time to go e-mail the deisgner methinks.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:12 pm
People not believing I made something, that I did.
People Confusing Knitting and crocheting (I do both and people mix 'em up!)
running out of yarn mid way in a project
People thinking I'm weird, to young, and "sissy" for being "too young" to knit and crochet. Hhheeeeellllllloooo! I've known eight years olds who knit and/or crocheted! EIGHT!!!! I am wwaayyy over eight!!! Sorry but that just annoys e when people say that sweatdrop  

claviclebone

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:18 am
Since my last post in this thread, I've learned to knit and spin... soo...

As a spinner I hate when expect me to be able to just put it down at any time. Heres a clue- if I have perfect spin speed/momentum going and I have plenty of room left to go before I need to wind, I'm NOT going to stop so I can help you with your crochet/hold you cup/whatever. Your issue will still be waiting in 1 minute- wait.

I do love the looks and questions I get as a spinner, though. Its so much fun to explain to people what I'm doing and why I love it. And people love to watch a drop spindle go round and round. SO much fun!

I have more to add, but my dad is oging on a business trip tonight and demands I update his ipod first, so I must go do that then return tomorrow for more.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff