Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Wiccan names? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:40 am
Korealia
Kitanya_Rose
... I'm just wondering... I mean, if someone had found their name, they couldn't share it. But that would sound strange.

It's part of the Hermetic principles, actually.

It's the Law of Names.

"What's in a name? Everything!" Having the true name of something gives you control over it. This could be VERY BAD for some people. Can you see the potential for VERY BAD?

But what makes a "true name"? is there ever a true name? What would it matter, I mean, wouldn't any name be as good?

Do we know there are true names? What makes a true name found now more true than the first name you were ever given in your first life? Do animals have true names?

I think Hermetics make things more difficult than they need to be, personally. But there we are. The basic idea is so, but I can't see why this would apply to a name one didn't know over a name that one personally identifies with. For the person doing the controlling, any name that they associate with the individual would be as powerful, ne? But then I think of things in a rather different way than they.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:44 am
As an aside, people from non-magical Pagan religions sometimes pick a name for use in that religion, within their worship group or just as a personal thing. Asatruar tend to do that, although many do not, of course. It's hardly a requirement. But some people feel closer to their gods by using a name like that in ritual. Plus, the Norse lot have handy patronymics and matronymics that mean you can take on the name of your guiding deity. Like Edred Thorsson.

I know my own Heathen-type name, though I haven't formally adopted it or anything. I also have a couple other names I've come across over the years, some used more often or more publicly than others.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:05 pm
I never really thought about using a "craft" name. I'm more or less comfortable with my name as it is, but a month or so ago I came across a name that really struck a chord. If I tell you where I found it, you'd all die laughing, but it was so completely out of the blue. Now it just keeps rolling around in my brain and I could so totally see myself adopting it for regular use. But besides the fact that my family would think I was bonkers...I still feel like it would be really silly to use a craft name as a solitary practitioner.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:58 am
Ha, I know a Neo-Wiccan whose patron, Aphrodite, gave her a name that was so horrendously fluffy sounding she outright refused it. xd She was like "No, no, I'm sorry but no. It's just not going to happen." xd I think they compromised eventually.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Dragonspeech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:27 pm
Isn't there a numerical way to find a name? I think I've done it before but it just didn't come out right. However, I've cycled through names.

Have you noticed that when you change your craft name your personality shifts, even if it is just half a degree? Perhaps that's just me. I'm certainly growing up and striking out on my path so I'm sure there'll be a lot of changing that I'll be doing. I've only been at it for about a year. I have to admit too, not much in the way of craftiwork. Much studying first its mostly all I've done.

Anyway, my current craft name is ... in-between phases. Toying with the idea of Adalrune. I kinda like it. Although I have not gone to study runes.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:15 am
So last night I was finally revealed my name! I was so excited. My husband had his wiccaning almost a week ago, I've just been waiting to know my name, so I could. Now its my turn! smile

Anyone else in here a solitary? My husband and I are working to make a family coven, and have a wiccaning for our daughter soon. (She's almost 2)

Jernni

Sparkly Millionaire

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

doistu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 am
I've gone through quite a few names and the one I use publically at the moment is HoneyMoon...yup...not as in the post marriage sexfest though.

Honey because my OH told me I'm as sweet as. lol

And Moon because my favourite stone is moonstone.

So I may never choose a private name...I've certainly never been "given" one to my knowledge. They've often just come to me.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games