Reply ~ Main Forum ~
New Trend- Gothy Kid's Costumes? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Detarra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:07 pm
So we have a new brand of costumes at Spirit Halloween that fit under this topic quick nicely. In Goth We Trust  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:23 pm
in a way it offends me, but at the same time you have to mainly realise the gothic culture. Some are witches-which is actually a caricaturistic costume sometimes, which also offends me. Witch craft is
NOT hollywood hocus pocus. Its away of life. Alot of people think these people are scary, and in which i accept it for the nature and sake of the holiday only.  

destructive emotions

destructive emotions

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Lady Detarra
So we have a new brand of costumes at Spirit Halloween that fit under this topic quick nicely. In Goth We Trust
i wear those clothes on a regular day basis-well some like them  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:33 pm
destructive emotions
in a way it offends me, but at the same time you have to mainly realise the gothic culture. Some are witches-which is actually a caricaturistic costume sometimes, which also offends me. Witch craft is
NOT hollywood hocus pocus. Its away of life. Alot of people think these people are scary, and in which i accept it for the nature and sake of the holiday only.

You do realize, though, that the Hollywood perception of witches is based in a post-modern sense of the Puritan concept of what a witch looks like, right?

None of the "hollywood hocus pocus" is based in any kind of sense of being paridocal towards actual witches, as there is a huge difference between actual witches and Salem witches.

-Isel-

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:02 pm
-Isel-
destructive emotions

You do realize, though, that the Hollywood perception of witches is based in a post-modern sense of the Puritan concept of what a witch looks like, right?

None of the "hollywood hocus pocus" is based in any kind of sense of being paridocal towards actual witches, as there is a huge difference between actual witches and Salem witches.

Furthermore, if you're going to make the argument that Hollywood has "charicatures" of Witches, you may as well make the same argument about vampires.

Vampires, in their original tales, were horrid blood-sucking monsters. Not people who liked to drink blood at trendy New Orleans bars. Not sexy, rich, socialites. Not immortal Anne Rice-hotties.

Hollywood's positive portrayal of vampires bastardizes what they "really" are- monsters of folk legend.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:53 am
i think is offensive but then again is a really nice costum ^^ i just hope is gonna get "worse" since then is just gonna be without respect  

Raveney

ShadowLotus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:58 am
I feel a little offended but then again I remember when I was really little dressing as a hippie, when I've seen day to day hippies wear the same thing I did.
I don't think it's a problem right now, but there's still the irritation that our style of choice is referred to as merely a costume.

Just last week I took my little brother to his private classes and while walking down the hall to meet him when his class ends a young girl complimented me by saying 'I like your costume'. At first I thought it was cute but then felt bad that my style is just a costume to the average/boring styled clothing.

But hey. If those little girls that wear those "Halloween" costumes turn out to be one of us deep down anyway... I'll be glad to see it, and good luck to them in going through criticism of the darker lifestyles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:39 am
Just a thought, but given the average persons perception of a goth is;
"Someone who treats everyday like Halloween."

How is this offensive, or even change anything, people have been gothing up just for Halloween for years, be they children or adults, to take offense at such things strikes me as being a bit beyond ridiculous. I mean have you really become as arrogant as the (majority) of emo kids and believe your look should not be parodied and imitated when the time is right. You should just be grateful, that this could actually lead to more goths coming into the culture, bringing it wider acceptance and appeal, instead taking offense to it.  

Rellik San
Crew

The Canady Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:21 am
Damn. Now I really wish I had a job. That Heavy Red site had some awsome shirts for guys. I'll have bookmark the site. But yes, children seem to be wearing these more now. Hell, when I was younger, there was nothing like that. Now the kids have the best costumes (Except for the ones where they look like junior sluts-in-training). People seem to be trying to monopolize on the gothic styles. Though, from what I've seen, they copy another outfit, slap on a label, call it origional, and make it a brand-name, and usually with crappier material that just catches people's eyes, but that's kind of off-topic.

Rellik San

How is this offensive, or even change anything, people have been gothing up just for Halloween for years, be they children or adults, to take offense at such things strikes me as being a bit beyond ridiculous. I mean have you really become as arrogant as the (majority) of emo kids and believe your look should not be parodied and imitated when the time is right. You should just be grateful, that this could actually lead to more goths coming into the culture, bringing it wider acceptance and appeal, instead taking offense to it.

Those are some good points. Though, some of the people who are "attracted" to gothic cultures and sub-cultures are trying to slander it's name, and give the people who follow them a bad name. It's like they don't even want the culture as a lifestyle, but something to make them seem like a "rebel", and screw up the culture in general. It's good to be open about the gothic lifestyles, but the need to glamorize it with lies and the need to turn it into a selling point for stores and companies make it seem like it's a way to make an already over-made statement. For every group of people that are actually gothic in one sence or another, there is another large group of people trying to get the view-point on goths to some type of bullshit that they just spread to get a bunch of attention. Yet, there is no way to stop this, because everytime one of those groups of people stop, another one pops op to take it's place to continue that job. And then, they move on to another culture to ruin it's name. And then places that are anti-goth just accept the lies that were spred about it, and suddenly they have a group of their own set up to stop the gothic cultures/sub-cultures from continuing. They start telling people that their siblings/sons/daughters/whatever are just going through a phase and try to pull some intervention bullshit on them. Of course, I could just be talking out of my a** here, but still, when you think about it, no matter what, people will always be out there to ruin something for others by saying that it is something bad (like Satanic) because they don't like anything that isn't like them. It happens every time a culture gets really popular. And a lot of the time it's the damn media and so on that start trying to make it seem worse.

I'm going to stop there before I sound more like an annoying ranter/consperiacy theorist than I already sound like.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:23 pm
Nightfire666
Damn. Now I really wish I had a job. That Heavy Red site had some awsome shirts for guys. I'll have bookmark the site. But yes, children seem to be wearing these more now. Hell, when I was younger, there was nothing like that. Now the kids have the best costumes (Except for the ones where they look like junior sluts-in-training). People seem to be trying to monopolize on the gothic styles. Though, from what I've seen, they copy another outfit, slap on a label, call it origional, and make it a brand-name, and usually with crappier material that just catches people's eyes, but that's kind of off-topic.

Rellik San

Those are some good points. Though, some of the people who are "attracted" to gothic cultures and sub-cultures are trying to slander it's name, and give the people who follow them a bad name. It's like they don't even want the culture as a lifestyle, but something to make them seem like a "rebel", and screw up the culture in general. It's good to be open about the gothic lifestyles, but the need to glamorize it with lies and the need to turn it into a selling point for stores and companies make it seem like it's a way to make an already over-made statement. For every group of people that are actually gothic in one sence or another, there is another large group of people trying to get the view-point on goths to some type of bullshit that they just spread to get a bunch of attention. Yet, there is no way to stop this, because everytime one of those groups of people stop, another one pops op to take it's place to continue that job. And then, they move on to another culture to ruin it's name. And then places that are anti-goth just accept the lies that were spred about it, and suddenly they have a group of their own set up to stop the gothic cultures/sub-cultures from continuing. They start telling people that their siblings/sons/daughters/whatever are just going through a phase and try to pull some intervention bullshit on them. Of course, I could just be talking out of my a** here, but still, when you think about it, no matter what, people will always be out there to ruin something for others by saying that it is something bad (like Satanic) because they don't like anything that isn't like them. It happens every time a culture gets really popular. And a lot of the time it's the damn media and so on that start trying to make it seem worse.

I'm going to stop there before I sound more like an annoying ranter/consperiacy theorist than I already sound like.

What you said is valid, but sorry to burst your bubble, it happens to Metallers, Gamers, Punks, New Romantics and even Emo's aswell, its not something attached purely to goth culture and to be honest most of the people that give goth culture a 'bad name' and who 'know nothing about it' often know nothing about it, because the instant they say they have only just become interested in the culture, about 3/4 of goths descend on them with jibes of 'poseur'.  

Rellik San
Crew

The Canady Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:34 pm
Yeah, I know what you mean. Guess I just got a bit carried away there. Still though, in a time when you'd think people would be more open, it seems they are more close-minded, but then again, that could just be the town I live in. And also, that thing about them saying they have "just become interested in the culture, about 3/4 of goths descend on them with jibes of 'poseur'." it goes with pretty much every other culture or sub-culture out there. But what does that 1/4 account for? Do they welcome them in with open arms? Or just ignore them? It sometimes seems like they expect people to have something; a requirement perhaps. It would probably be better to read up on the culture(s) or sub-culture(s) first before saying it directly to someone who follows that culture. It's strange that way, like a fear or something, and when people act ignorant like that, they start to discourage that person interested. But if they want more people to be open to a culture, and then turn around and do that, it contradicts it completely. Now, what does someone have to do to be accepted by that culture, without having to draw any negative attention to themselves FROM that culture? I'm going to end this here, but it seems like a question that can't be answered without bringing up more questions.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:26 pm
Quote:
they have "just become interested in the culture, about 3/4 of goths descend on them with jibes of 'poseur'." it goes with pretty much every other culture or sub-culture out there.

There is a trick to getting into a subculture without being attacked for it... you've got to appear nonchalant and make no account of your effort, and be very gradual.  

-Isel-

mechanical kitsy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:21 pm
i'm gonna dress my kids like that. its so cute.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:05 pm
Part of me is very annoyed by the increase in "goth" costumes, especially ones with names like "Goth Robe" or "Goth Dress." I hate when costume companies label anything red and black that doesn't fall completely under the Witch, Vampire, Zombie, or Slut categories as goth, especially when the costume itself isn't really all that goth-looking. And I do feel as though people who dress goth for Halloween are somehow mocking the goth subculture, as many of them spend the rest of the year mocking goths only to dress lilke one for a day.

On the other hand, sometimes these costumes look pretty cool, and, were they made of something other than polyester, I would likely wear them (in like... April, when it is most definitely NOT Halloween...).  

j3ll0_m0nk3y

High-functioning Shapeshifter

17,000 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Ghost Hunter 250

-Lo Va Tits-

Dapper Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:07 pm
lol imm gunna raise my kids to hate rap and dress like that  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]