Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Extended Discussion
gay marriage Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

scintillio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:08 pm
so, its a combination of both genetic and enviromental? To say the least~ xd well, at least to me, this is my conclusion...  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:11 pm
I was here...

Oh, hah, my bad. I thought that you were trying to argue that it was a fact that solely a gene that controlled it, which is still possible although they haven't found it yet, as far as I know. And I like to think that I'm in the know about such things razz

And as far as whether or not something is theoretical or not, that shouldn't really matter. Everything in science is a theory since nothing can really be proved indefinitely. Even gravity is a theory and I'd like to see anyone try to argue with the fact that we aren't floating around in space so there must be something holding us down.

Er, and I think that the "gay gene" is more of a combination between genetics and the influence of hormones. Some people may be genetically programmed to be more susceptible to hormonal changes? I don't remember this part exactly from the article, so this is more like my own conclusions based on what I know about genetics, development and the like. For example, I know a lot about schizophrenia in identical twins. So...(this is going to sound unrelated, but it really is. Just wait ^^; ) identical twins, ie: twins that have the exact same genetic makeup can have differences when it comes to developing schizophrenia. Every disease (please don't assume I'm calling homosexuality a disease, because I'm not...I just don't know what other word to use there) has a probability to appear in a carrier, which is why one twin can be schizophrenic while the other isn't. They've grown up in the same environment, have identical genes, and yet show different results. Schizophrenia is believed to have a strong genetic link (as some argue that homosexuality may. Many gay people have relatives [however distant] that are also gay, although some do not.) since it seems to run in families, and yet is not passed down directly from parent to child or whatever.

Er, so what I'm trying to get at is that a reasonable assumption could be made to tie the two together. Like, a genetic alteration could give a probability of a hormonal imbalance affecting the development of certain areas of the brain and glands and stuff.

Like I said before, that's just kinda an idea that's been incubating in the back of my mind based on a ton of stuff that I've read on the subject, but seeing as there hasn't been any research directly related to that, I have no way of knowing if that's correct or not. It seems to make pretty good sense though, no?

...and then I was gone.

Anochaa
Crew

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:12 pm
Actually, it is natural. Animal societies have accepted gays for centuries. Gay dogs, gay lions, etc. I should know. I've seen such animals. Gay animals have actually existed in straight herds quite peacefully, and find love as often as human gays. Sure, humans have defied nature in ways unimaginable, but part of us always goes back to it, doesn't it?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:13 pm
Czar Liece
so, its a combination of both genetic and enviromental? To say the least~ xd well, at least to me, this is my conclusion...
I was here...

Well, the problem with that statement is that a lot of people believe that the external environment would be exclusively what happens after the subject begins to remember his/her experiences. So...everything after age 5 or so. The general public, I think, forgets that the most critical periods for things happens from conception until age 5 and not so much after.

Developmentally speaking, of course.

...and then I was gone.

Anochaa
Crew

Anochaa
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:16 pm
Mobius Nightshade
Actually, it is natural. Animal societies have accepted gays for centuries. Gay dogs, gay lions, etc. I should know. I've seen such animals. Gay animals have actually existed in straight herds quite peacefully, and find love as often as human gays. Sure, humans have defied nature in ways unimaginable, but part of us always goes back to it, doesn't it?
I was here...

That too. Here I am rambling about fetal development and you just put everything into a nutshell sweatdrop

...and then I was gone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:18 pm
One of my best talents is summarizing. mrgreen  

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Anochaa
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:24 pm
I was here...

Hehe. I can see that. I'm jealous razz I always babble too much. It's quite a problem when it comes to essays that have word/character limits X.x

By the way, speaking of gay marriage, what do y'all think about transsexuals? I'm listening to The Clicks' CD right now (Cry Me A River cover is on right now. So much better than the Justin Timberlake version razz ) and their lead singer is transgender.

Er, I guess I'll make that a new topic at some point...you know, about whether it's right to perform sex reidentification surgery and such. *shrug*

...and then I was gone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:27 pm
Whatever floats your boat, I say... Some would say it's an alternative for being a gay whatever-gender-you-are. A gay man who becomes a transgender becomes a straight woman, am I right? However, I mean not to offend, and should probably hold my tongue.  

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Bellabie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:58 pm
Is that really so, Mobius?
Hm...
Oh! This is interesting.
b  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:58 pm
Anochaa
Czar Liece
I was here...

Well, the problem with that statement is that a lot of people believe that the external environment would be exclusively what happens after the subject begins to remember his/her experiences. So...everything after age 5 or so. The general public, I think, forgets that the most critical periods for things happens from conception until age 5 and not so much after.

Developmentally speaking, of course.

...and then I was gone.

okay...so from reading these later posts...im wrong? -___- oh crap, now im hitting that 'i dont nessisarily care anymone' point.

So it does infact lie with nature...but its not technically genetic. And it doesn't have anything to do with enviroment. ninja boy oh boy....what a world... xp  

scintillio

Bellabie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:05 pm
No, no!
It has everything to do with genetics and the environment. We're just not certain of how, just yet!
razz
b  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:11 pm
Bellabie
No, no!
It has everything to do with genetics and the environment. We're just not certain of how, just yet!
razz
b

dramallama holy cows of India~ xd ahh, so i am right, and wrong, in essence, since it cannot be proven just yet---im a paradox! whee  

scintillio

Anochaa
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:11 pm
I was here...

Oh, yeah, haha, I didn't mean that it wasn't. I just meant it's a misleading statement for the general populace ^^; I should learn to be more clear X.x

It is a combination of both though.

PS: I don't mean to toot my own horn, so to speak, but what do you think of the idea I had in that really long post? I haven't really vocalized it before this and would like to know what people think. Is it reasonable?

...and then I was gone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:23 pm
Reasonable, dear, it's magnificent!
Be heard, for the gods' sakes! You've got wonderful thoughts and powerful things to say. I am very glad that you wrote so lengthily and attentively!
My only request might be for a bit more organization by paragraph breaks... (You have them already, but...)
I don't mean to stifle you, but the gold, tiny text was a bit hard to read (for me) as a block...
heart
b  

Bellabie

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:47 pm
Whereas my high-light and low-light adapted eyes can see it perfectly. My vision is better than 20/20. As for that article, Bellabie, I read my information from Scientific American, but you get the idea.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff