Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Generic Name Guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:20 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
The problems with a shotgun are mag size and ammo size/weight. If it's just one zombie, sure. But if they start piling up, you want something with a bigger magazine.

STREET-SWEEPER!!!!!!!
AA-12?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:39 am
Requiem6661
The only gun I'd want if zombies attacked would be an M134, and there are obvious reasons for why I can't lug one around.
If you put a muzzle brake on each of the barrels, it might help to cut down recoil quite a bit. It'd still be a crew-served weapon, but at least one man could fire it alone without too much trouble.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Wiggie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:23 am
Fresnel
Requiem6661
The only gun I'd want if zombies attacked would be an M134, and there are obvious reasons for why I can't lug one around.
If you put a muzzle brake on each of the barrels, it might help to cut down recoil quite a bit. It'd still be a crew-served weapon, but at least one man could fire it alone without too much trouble.
if you wanted to escape from the invasion you could mount it on an armored van and if you want to wait it out you mount it on the roof of a building xD  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:14 am
I'm amazed no one has mentioned the "Master Key" system; a M16 or M4 with an underbarrel Remington 870. Mainly used for Forced Entry, firing a special slug into the doors lock to break it, I figure you could load it with standard hunting shot for zombies. Long Range, use the M4 to pick them off if needed (flee when you can!) but for clusters or close-quarter, use the 870.  

Sidal

Anima_Raptor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:38 am
Somebody mentioned an AR variant would be a choice over a shotgun... unless its a 6.8, then I cant say i agree.

One of the first rules of anti-zombie guns = nothing full auto. Select Fire? maybe, but too much temptation to unload too many rounds into one rotter, or miss completely.

It's also been established that .223 have less then savory effects on Muslim Radicals, and would be even less effective on zombies. Maybe an M-16 at long ranges where the round has a chance to tumble and fragment, but not a good choice in close quarters.

I'd take the shotgun over an AR. Unless your looking to pick a fight with zombies at long ranges, I'd take my chances with the slugs.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:54 am
Anima_Raptor
Somebody mentioned an AR variant would be a choice over a shotgun... unless its a 6.8, then I cant say i agree.

One of the first rules of anti-zombie guns = nothing full auto. Select Fire? maybe, but too much temptation to unload too many rounds into one rotter, or miss completely.

It's also been established that .223 have less then savory effects on Muslim Radicals, and would be even less effective on zombies. Maybe an M-16 at long ranges where the round has a chance to tumble and fragment, but not a good choice in close quarters.

I'd take the shotgun over an AR. Unless your looking to pick a fight with zombies at long ranges, I'd take my chances with the slugs.
First of all, the reason 5.56 is sub-par in combat is because of the shitty ammo used. It's all ball ammo. But even ball ammo has the capability to drop a man quickly and efficiently if you're not spraying ammo like there's no tomorrow.

Second, I do have to admit that a tube-fed shotgun has the advantage of being able to top off the magazine halfway through without taking it out or temporarily disabling the gun. However, shells are large and heavy, and there's only eight rounds to a magazine at most.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Anima_Raptor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:44 pm
Fresnel
Anima_Raptor

First of all, the reason 5.56 is sub-par in combat is because of the shitty ammo used. It's all ball ammo. But even ball ammo has the capability to drop a man quickly and efficiently if you're not spraying ammo like there's no tomorrow.

Second, I do have to admit that a tube-fed shotgun has the advantage of being able to top off the magazine halfway through without taking it out or temporarily disabling the gun. However, shells are large and heavy, and there's only eight rounds to a magazine at most.

It's true, there is a weight difference when it comes to the ammo used. I don't know specifics, but a loaded AR mag would probably weigh the same amount as a tube full of slugs. (Can anybody verify that?), and you're getting more shots for the weight you carry.

But now that i think about it, i believe there's another advantage for a shottie over an AR in a survival situation; lack of a mag.

You can only stay in combat for however many mags you're carrying on you. This might not seem like a problem to someone who's prepared or near an army surplus store, but what if someone was unfortunate enough to only to only find the rifle and no mags? He could carry as many boxes of ammo as he can carry, but once you use a mag up, your done.

Even worse, what if your mag malfunctions/breaks? Im sure this is isn't impossible, and not having a mag to feed your weapon leaves you outta luck.

Where as with a shotgun, all you have is the tube. From what i know a shotgun has pretty simple in terms of moving parts, and you can carry all the shells you want without having to prep up a magazine before a battle. Is it safe to assume a shotgun is much more durable then an auto assault rifle? I believe so.  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:22 pm
The shotgun is wasted power on zombies. All that energy from a 12-gauge shell that should be directed into the head kills them just as dead as a .223 bullet. When dealing with animals and humans you can use the energy of more powerful calibers to more effectively drop an enemy by shooting them anywhere. But on zombies, the head is the only safe bet. You can't be thinking about wound channels and hydrostatic shock on the walking dead! In that case, you need precise single shots on numerous enemies, which their slow speed allows. Small, light, fast ammo from large magazines is ideal in that situation.

I'm not usually one to sing the AR platform's praises, but in zombie SHTF is where it shines. That being said, I wouldn't feel tremendously disadvantaged with a pump shotgun, but I would use it until I found an AR and leave it for someone else.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:26 pm
ArmasTermin
The shotgun is wasted power on zombies. All that energy from a 12-gauge shell that should be directed into the head kills them just as dead as a .223 bullet. When dealing with animals and humans you can use the energy of more powerful calibers to more effectively drop an enemy by shooting them anywhere. But on zombies, the head is the only safe bet. You can't be thinking about wound channels and hydrostatic shock on the walking dead! In that case, you need precise single shots on numerous enemies, which their slow speed allows. Small, light, fast ammo from large magazines is ideal in that situation.

I'm not usually one to sing the AR platform's praises, but in zombie SHTF is where it shines. That being said, I wouldn't feel tremendously disadvantaged with a pump shotgun, but I would use it until I found an AR and leave it for someone else.
Another advantage of the shotgun, however, is its hunting uses. .223 can only take certain kinds of game, but a shotgun can take anything from a gander of geese to a grizzly bear with little difficulty.  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:44 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Another advantage of the shotgun, however, is its hunting uses. .223 can only take certain kinds of game, but a shotgun can take anything from a gander of geese to a grizzly bear with little difficulty.

Maybe, but even with slugs the shotgun's range caps off at 150 yards. And that's pushing it.  

ArmasTermin

Anima_Raptor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:07 pm
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Maybe, but even with slugs the shotgun's range caps off at 150 yards. And that's pushing it.

Which takes us back to my zombie philosophy; out of sight, out of mind. Unless you're part of a pack of zombie exterminators, i dont see a reason why you'd want to engage a rotter from any further then 100 yards.  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:31 pm
Anima_Raptor
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Which takes us back to my zombie philosophy; out of sight, out of mind. Unless you're part of a pack of zombie exterminators, i dont see a reason why you'd want to engage a rotter from any further then 100 yards.

In Fallout 3, sometimes people call the ghouls Shufflers.

With amunition being precious I wouldn't want to take a chance at missing.
That and zombies still have hearing and some reasoning, so I believe they would make the following equation;

Gun shot = humans = braaaaaaaaaaaiiiinnnssss  

OberFeldwebel

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm
Anybody see the XRAIL?

I think you might like it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:02 pm
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

With a rifled barrel and saboted slugs, I wouldn't be surprised if you could push the 200 yard mark. And at that point, you really don't NEED to kill it. If you DO need to kill it, wait a minute and it'll be closer.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Barru

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:08 am
uryu ishida
Anybody see the XRAIL?

I think you might like it.

If it works that good.
Do want.  
Zombies. Seriously.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]