Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
Silly Reading Habits~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Muffins or Cupcakes??
  Muffins! A-Duh...
  Cupcakes of course!
View Results

greenphoenixrain

Invisible Explorer

10,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:44 pm
I can read anywhere... I have even got over car sickness to read in the car...

My strange habit is that I gasp really loudly(I guess because people have asked me if there was something in the book) at random times. My theory for this is that I get so into the book that I forget to breath...  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:48 pm
I do that corner-crinkley thing. When I'm reading, I have one hand on the corner of the page and I kind of fold it and continously make a crease...but it's not really folding. I don't know how to explain it...

My friend use to watch me do that and cringe.  

LadyMarcy

6,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200

CuppaT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:32 pm
Sometimes I have to put the book down and put on my ipod, listen to some music, and just imagine what the scene I'd just read would look like in real life. Other times I just need to move around, so I'll put the book down, listen to my music and just imagine the book from the beginning, with me as either the main character or a supporting character.

Weird, huh?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:11 pm
Only October Girl
Sometimes I have to put the book down and put on my ipod, listen to some music, and just imagine what the scene I'd just read would look like in real life. Other times I just need to move around, so I'll put the book down, listen to my music and just imagine the book from the beginning, with me as either the main character or a supporting character.

Weird, huh?

I do that a lot, too. But only with books that are really, really good. And it's usually after I've read the book, 'cause if I stopped in the middle, I'd be, like, "I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO ME NEXT!" xd  

Lhia Dunwaith

CuppaT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:19 pm
Quote:
I do that a lot, too. But only with books that are really, really good. And it's usually after I've read the book, 'cause if I stopped in the middle, I'd be, like, "I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO ME NEXT!" xd

rofl I'm glad I'm not the only one! But yeah, only if it's a really, really good book do I do that too. However, I have to do it in the middle or near to the end, or just where ever I get the urge. It's like an itch. I have to scratch it immediately as it materializes. redface  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:24 am
OrionsGift
Lhia_Dunwaith
Today I saw a girl who was reading a book and HIGHLIGHTING IT!!! The following conversation followed:

Me: What are you DOING to that book?!
Girl: Reading it.
Me: Why are you highlighting it?
Girl: It's for me to take more of the book in. I've already read it three times.
Me: The book is SCREAMING OUT IN PAIN!!! (By this time, I was half-laughing, but still somewhat serious)
Girl: Huh?

^This wasn't a complete stranger, either. It was a friend of my friend.^

Lol! xd My brother had to read some kind of essay over the summer by a man with a PhD saying you don't truly own a book unless its marked and highlighted. eek confused

As for my wierd reading habit...I'll be doing homework or studying and stop at random intervals to read a few more pages of my current reading project. It's not a good study habit but I can't help it, I have to know what happens next! sweatdrop
Thats the only way I can ever get all my studying done! 3nodding 5 pages/20 problems school =1 page personal reading.  

Death_Is_A_Lady

Aeliara

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:35 am
greenphoenixrain
I can read anywhere... I have even got over car sickness to read in the car...

My strange habit is that I gasp really loudly(I guess because people have asked me if there was something in the book) at random times. My theory for this is that I get so into the book that I forget to breath...
Oh and do you ever go through a really quiet spell, then when something funny happens and you're laughing hysterically people just stare?

I also like to say somethings outloud. Especially if it is an interesting name or something in a different language. I try to keep it to a whisper, but.... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:48 am
Lhia_Dunwaith

Lhia's Rules (more like Commandments) of Book-Borrowing

1. Thou shalt not borrow the book for more than two months, unless thee is a painfully slow reader.
2. Thou shalt not put paperback books in a backpack. It crinkles the front cover and leaves unsightly crease lines.
3. Thou shalt not loan the book to others when the book is in thine care.
4. Thou shalt not desecrate the book in any way, shape, or form.
5. Thou shalt not lose the book, even if it was merely left in math class for a few minutes and thee has to run back and get it.
6. Thou shalt not read the book while walking (it is for thine own safety as well as the book's).
7. Thou shalt not obsess to me like a fangirl about how hot the main male character is, because when you do that, I fear for thine sanity.
8. Thou shalt not scream in class upon arriving at the ending of the book- while you are supposed to be doing math work (It has happened).
9. Thou shalt not tell thine parents about the book, unless it has much harmless material.
10. Thou shalt not blame any of the aforementioned on me when it goes wrong for thee.
That was absolutely hilarious! I need to adopt something like that! My sister hoards some of mine for years at a time.

For me there's a different between my hard covers (unless for school) and soft covers, then between things I do to a book and things other people do to my books.
1. I will only write in soft cover books, unless it's a school text where I just go crazy with comments, opinions, snide remarks where necessary, and illustrations to demonstrate the points. There was a great comedian who said,

"There needs to be some addition to the highlighter. Like a low-lighter for things that aren't important! Cause when you're highlighting, you just get everything. It's like...oh, that's a word! That's important! And then you highlight some things that really weren't important and you're like, oh...that wasn't really necessary. You can;t just leave it, so you have to highlight the entire thing then. Or you have to highlight everything, then underline with a pen or something. It's the underlined stuff that's important!" ~Dimitri Martin heart

2. Unless I will not be marking it up, I can't stand having other people's notations in the book. The only exceptions are books like my Shakespeare that someone in 1880 marked up with quill and ink.

3. If I lend a book out and don't get it back in a timely manner in the condition I lent it in...well then, the book lending nymph gets really angry and might just take revenge. Heeheehee twisted  

Aeliara

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Lhia Dunwaith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:05 pm
You have a book from 1880? That's so cool! Where'd you get it from?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:04 am
Lhia_Dunwaith
You have a book from 1880? That's so cool! Where'd you get it from?
Yeah, several. I love reading old texts in old editions! Especially the pre-owned variety. I get mine from an antique shop that has a huge book section on an upper floor. I sit there going through all these books in the middle of the woods, it's so old world! I love it.

I have an Emily Dickinson from 1990, a Tennyson from 1860, the Shakespeare, and a book of Indian poems from 1840 that's hand set and wrapped in sari silk. 4laugh They're all so inexpensive, too!  

Aeliara

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Gallivespian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:45 pm
When I am reading at night I always have to act out the main character, like I would always say what he/she is saying and even sometime do the actions when I am in bed. It is a very annoying habit especially when I go over a friends house and read.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:57 pm
Because Fear Kills...

Well, I've done this ever since about a year ago. Ever since I read Artemis Fowl. I would have my heard move up and donw to certain words, periods, exclamation points, ect.. I can't get rid of it. Darn it! sad Next time maybe...?

...Your Mind, Heart, And Imagination.

EmmaIce476

Lady Midori

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:59 pm
Aeliara
Lhia_Dunwaith

Lhia's Rules (more like Commandments) of Book-Borrowing

1. Thou shalt not borrow the book for more than two months, unless thee is a painfully slow reader.
2. Thou shalt not put paperback books in a backpack. It crinkles the front cover and leaves unsightly crease lines.
3. Thou shalt not loan the book to others when the book is in thine care.
4. Thou shalt not desecrate the book in any way, shape, or form.
5. Thou shalt not lose the book, even if it was merely left in math class for a few minutes and thee has to run back and get it.
6. Thou shalt not read the book while walking (it is for thine own safety as well as the book's).
7. Thou shalt not obsess to me like a fangirl about how hot the main male character is, because when you do that, I fear for thine sanity.
8. Thou shalt not scream in class upon arriving at the ending of the book- while you are supposed to be doing math work (It has happened).
9. Thou shalt not tell thine parents about the book, unless it has much harmless material.
10. Thou shalt not blame any of the aforementioned on me when it goes wrong for thee.
That was absolutely hilarious! I need to adopt something like that! My sister hoards some of mine for years at a time.

For me there's a different between my hard covers (unless for school) and soft covers, then between things I do to a book and things other people do to my books.
1. I will only write in soft cover books, unless it's a school text where I just go crazy with comments, opinions, snide remarks where necessary, and illustrations to demonstrate the points. There was a great comedian who said,

"There needs to be some addition to the highlighter. Like a low-lighter for things that aren't important! Cause when you're highlighting, you just get everything. It's like...oh, that's a word! That's important! And then you highlight some things that really weren't important and you're like, oh...that wasn't really necessary. You can;t just leave it, so you have to highlight the entire thing then. Or you have to highlight everything, then underline with a pen or something. It's the underlined stuff that's important!" ~Dimitri Martin heart

2. Unless I will not be marking it up, I can't stand having other people's notations in the book. The only exceptions are books like my Shakespeare that someone in 1880 marked up with quill and ink.

3. If I lend a book out and don't get it back in a timely manner in the condition I lent it in...well then, the book lending nymph gets really angry and might just take revenge. Heeheehee twisted
That is so insanely hilarious and absolutely true...both Aeli and Lhia's comments!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Aeliara
I also like to say somethings outloud. Especially if it is an interesting name or something in a different language. I try to keep it to a whisper, but.... sweatdrop
Oh god, I do that ALL the time! I just love to test names out on my tongue, especially the really exotic ones!  

Lady Midori

evanna11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:16 am
People highlight their books?!!I would only do that when I had 2 copies of the book...
About folding pages stuff, I do that whit my bookmark..It is so completely ruined razz . I can read almost everywhere(in the car too, I get carsickness more often when I am not reading in a car razz ).
I try to keep my books very neat, but I just can't..My Harry Potter books are totally ruined (especially 5). I like reading with some background music, so I do not hear any other things and I can be totally" in the world of the book".
I have the really bad habit of reading instead of doing my homework ..I also get up really early to read something, that is how I get rid of the sleep(and come almost to late in class).And I go to bed really late sometimes..Not really smart..  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff