Submit

Republic or the Commonwealth?
  Republic
  Commonwealth
View Results

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:00 am
Hmm, funny I didn't see this when it came up.

Eureka flag would never be used as it throws up similar connotations of the Confederate Flag in the US.
Essentially the Eureka stockade was a stand against the government at the time which isn't the best thing to use if you are in fact the government incumbent.
The Eureka Stockade was a rebellion, I highly doubt the government would want to perpetuate rebellious ideas.

As for Republic v Commonwealth, I still like the historical link we have with England, plus it differentiates us from the US a bit more.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:50 am
Hm, after having family friends work in the Government (various sections) - after hearing their ideas I'd have to say Republic.

I mean after talking with some of my friends in the UK and USA, they've told me that they've never heard of some of the things that Australia has been dragged into and left by England - historically so it just makes me think that if Australia were to become a republic perhaps our economy might improve instead of having resources "shared" with England for the simple matter of being a "Country of the Commonwealth" and/or "British Empire" - by cutting the past connections (the majority of them) Australia wouldn't be seen as "England's Lapdog" (as some of the Pommie's have said in front of me, but then again those who have stated that have been absolutely, undeniably rude to me for the factor of simply being an Australian...)

But as for the factor of the flag if that were to happen, I would not want the flag to be the Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander flags but instead I believe it should still contain the Southern Cross (or even the Eureka Version as it could be classed as a "Movement" instead of being a symbol for the Eureka Rebellion) or perhaps a modified version of the "Commonwealth Coat of Arms" featuring our Kangaroo and Emu but not being the original version that we have scattered across Australia on some older buildings, Government buildings and Currency - but a new, reformed version that states that Australia is no longer attached to England.

But, for the Defence section of the "What if Australia was to become a Republic...?", well... we are still a member of the UN so with that part still in play, the UN is still basically supposed to help any/all of it's current countries to the side that Australia would still be an allied country to the UK and USA but not of the collective term of Commonwealth or the "British Empire".

Besides, Australia already is different to the US... I mean we didn't kick the English out like they did in the past in America (when England tried to make America part of the "British Empire") but instead were mainly populated by those from the UK and USA in the past but have now become a multi-cultural country that remembers it's historical connections to England... however not much of that connection is really seen today.

*Shrugs* That's just my opinion from it but I doubt that anyone would actually agree with some points from my own opinion... but quite a few people I personally know have agreed with my statement.

((Also, sorry mates if it's a bit all over the place. Killer headache, can't think properly)). sweatdrop  

Enetirnel

Jahira-Tor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:02 am
I vote to stay part of the monarchy. There's no down sides (apart from when they decide to visit us and we float the bill) but there are massive upsides, that we have the support of a country that has the largest naval fleets in the world.
And i like the idea that Australians can still be knighted for good deeds.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:58 am
Bo says....Long live the Queen! 3nodding

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:39 am
bohemian_wild_child

I have a LITTLE bit of a soft spot for tradition. Well, this type of tradition anyway, and that is monarchy.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:17 am
WellzY
bohemian_wild_child

I have a LITTLE bit of a soft spot for tradition. Well, this type of tradition anyway, and that is monarchy.
User Image

I think..as long as we get a public holiday on the Queens birthday monarchy is cool rofl heart

User Image

sex fairy

Beloved Fairy

Arrowchan

Magical Girl

14,900 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:33 am
I'm for a Republic, but I'm not in any hurry. XP I figure it is just something that will have to happen eventually. I like the Queen, but I wouldn't want to be a subject of Prince Charles'!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:54 am
I'm fond of the queen,
but i am kinda sick of the whole bonding thing with england
as if we owe them constantly.
I go for republic, not in a hurry for it...unless prince charles takes over
anytime soon *shudders* I would not share
my food with that man! xd  

Sweet Lady Phoenix

goddess_tyche

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:09 pm
I don't think it really matters either way, but I would go for a being a Republic. They tried it before, but no one went for it... I think my dad said it was because it they were going to leave the choice of the President up to the party - they didn't have a proper referendum to choose how that would be.

But we basically look after ourselves anyway, at least as far as I know, so I don't know why we're still hanging onto England.

The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff