gdrockson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:19 pm
Are neon yellow skirts considered goth?

Cause I would call that nu rave.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:22 pm
gdrockson

Whoops whoops. I read the post wrong. But still, neon accesories are gothic? In general.  

gdrockson

ShadowLotus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:00 pm
gdrockson
gdrockson

Whoops whoops. I read the post wrong. But still, neon accesories are gothic? In general.

Yes they very well can be pulled off, I say. But it's so close to looking raver that most figure it's rave. I'm very into Raver Goths.
Correct me if this wasn't what you were talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:16 pm
ShadowLotus
gdrockson
gdrockson

Yes they very well can be pulled off, I say. But it's so close to looking raver that most figure it's rave. I'm very into Raver Goths.
Correct me if this wasn't what you were talking about.

It answered my question.

I'm not one to be any particular type of person, but I think goth is either very fake or very disliked my school. I find it interesting. So, I really have never even heard of a raver goth. sweatdrop But you cant know everything, right?  

gdrockson

gasp Account moved

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:25 am
Theres always wallmart XD
honestly.. I got my combat knee highs from wally-world..
and alot of my jeans..
And fishnet/ rise bands can be found anywhere, aswell as collars for cheap..
corsets can be found for 30 dollars, you gotta keep your eye out..
stores have sales.
If your not picky it's easy to find stuff to meet your fashion wants..
wwhat is pricy is brand name crap.. XD
So try to open your eyes abit lol  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:19 pm
As was mentioned before, your local thrift shop can be an amazing resource for cheap clothing. My classmates always ask me where I buy my clothing, and are usually quite suprised when I tell them that my jaboted shirts and frilly black velvet gowns came from Goodwill.

Sewing is also wonderful. Basic sewing machines cost between $125-$200, but pretty much pay for themselvs after you complete a few projects. The internet is a great resource for cheap lace and trim, and cotton facrics are not all that expensive. Sometimes you can even find nice fabric at thrift shops. I bought a spool of gorgeous antique lace from Goodwill for $0.50, as well as 7 yards of very high grade blue velvet for $2. I've seen the exact same velvet at a local fabric store for $25 per yard.

Also, most of the items I listed in my thread regarding Romanti-Goth finds at normal shops are not that expensive: http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=11246475  

DreamerSpirit

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:26 pm
Also, if you are into sewing, it is good to sign up for fabric stores mailing lists. I recently got a bunch of cupons for Joannes, and used them to buy enough broadcloth to make at least five full outfits for under $60. Patterns are expensive, but there are tutorial sites where you can get free instructions on how to make certain items. Also, some magazines, such as the Japanese Goth Loli magazine are great for patterns, as each publication contains patterns and instructions for dozens of outfits!

Here are some DIY sites:

Batwing Caplet

Antimony and Lace- Lots of Clothing Tutorials!

Poor Dolly- Various Clothing Tutorials

Goggles

More Goggles

Various Tutorials

Knitty- Knitting Patterns

Domiknitrix- Knitting Patterns

Lolita Skirt Pattern

LED Shirt

Bloomers

Gawth Krafte- Various Tutorials

Gothic Martha Stewart DIY

Chain Mail Tutorial

Corset Tutorial

Corset Tutorial #2

Also, Goth Loli Books can be found here. For the same price as a single patern from Butterick or Simplicity, you can have a whole book of awesome Japanese patterns. As a quick note, if your size is above an American medium-large, then you will need to modify the Japanese patterns to fit you since Japanes patterns run smaller than western patterns.

I hope that all of that was helpful! ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:20 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
This is an obvious answer, but the combination of thrift stores, craft/hardware stores, and creativity will go a long way.

Precisely. DIY goth clothing is the cheapest way to go. And also the most unique. biggrin  

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:28 pm
The Evil Rabbit
Thrift shops, garage sales and flea markets can be your best friends, as well as craft shops for those that can sew and/or otherwise have a DIY streak in them. Hardware stores can also turn up a few odds and ends which can be used creatively.

Also, if you're into the Renaissance/medieval look, members of the SCA can be a good source for that type of clothing. Either they'll know how to make it, find you a pattern for it, or direct you to someone who can get that kind of clothing for you.

Don't forget E-Bay.

Or if there's a local ren faire you can usually buy some awesome stuff there. Granted that it's VERY expensive to do it that way. Best way to get renaissance clothing is to be good buddies with someone who knows how to make it and will teach you.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:40 pm
gdrockson
gdrockson

Yes. Surprisingly. There are gravers, cybergoths, and horror punks (vaguely considered goth). All tend to incorporate bright neon colors into their wardrobes.  

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

TheWhiteRaven2501

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:54 am
hOtToPic has a good selction of beginner items for first time goths or punc rockers.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:00 am
Once I saw a patch in Hot Topic saying "Give Me A Dollar." And they were selling it for 5 BUCKS.

With a little ingenuity, some white out and the seat of an old pair of your mom's stockings, you can make your own little slogans and make them look just as professional as the stuff in the shops (if you have good handwriting). Best of all, you don't need to finish the edges because the nylon doesn't fray.  

Veruniel
Crew

NekoYasha09er

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Hot Topic can be a bit on the expensive side for some of the things it sells. Like when I went in there before, they were selling a checkered belt for about $15 but when I went into the claire's store across from it, they had the same checkered belt for only $10. The same thing can also go for some accessories since well Claire's sometimes has the same ones with only a slight difference for cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:27 pm
On the topic of Hot Topic, the prices they charge for the quality of their clothing is absurd! The clothing sold there is not exactly expensive by the standards of alternative fashion, but they are expensive for being so poorly constructed. Instead of buying somthing at Hot Topic that will fall apart after a season or two, I would much rather spend $10-$30 more on a better quality item at my local alternative clothing store, and have that item last me for the next ten years.

With clothing, you should look at both price and quality. Paying an extra $10 or $20 for a garment that will last you for years more than its cheaper counterpart is a very good trade off.  

DreamerSpirit

Deleted Accnt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:12 am
I usually buy things off ebay. There aren't any good things in thrift stores near me. emo

I need to learn how to making clothes properly. But I did make a Siouxsie and the Banshees t-shirt the other day. Kinda simple but I want to make my own skirts, tops and things..

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff