Submit

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:57 pm
I can't think of anything from children's cartoons. I've only been watching teen and up animation lately. I'm so ashamed.
Oh wait, would characters from animated family films count? Because there was this one girl in Meet the Robinsons... so sterotypical, and yet I love her.
Teacher: And here's Lizzie with her... fire ant farm. *sigh* Lizzie, we talked about this...
Scienist: Don't they bite?
Lizzie: Only my enemies.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Yes, yes, definately building into the dramatic, violent sterotype, but I think in this case and cases like it, they chose to make the character goth because they were creepy, not they decided to make the character creepy because it is a goth.
Lizzie, for example, was clearly meant to resemble Wensday Addams; so that we can simply look at her and think "scary little girl."
I can't say anything bad about trying to look like Wensday Addams, she was my fricken hero growing up and I've tried to look like her many a time. Having black hair might make that easier now. Sorry, tangent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:16 pm
The Goth Apple
I can't think of anything from children's cartoons. I've only been watching teen and up animation lately. I'm so ashamed.
Oh wait, would characters from animated family films count? Because there was this one girl in Meet the Robinsons... so sterotypical, and yet I love her.
Teacher: And here's Lizzie with her... fire ant farm. *sigh* Lizzie, we talked about this...
Yes, yes, definately building into the dramatic, violent sterotype, but I think in this case and cases like it, they chose to make the character goth because they were creepy, not they decided to make the character creepy because it is a goth.
Lizzie, for example, was clearly meant to resemble Wensday Addams; so that we can simply look at her and think "scary little girl."
I can't say anything bad about trying to look like Wensday Addams, she was my fricken hero growing up and I've tried to look like her many a time. Having black hair might make that easier now. Sorry, tangent.

haha i love that movie shes great...  

haine13

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:09 pm
The Goth Apple

I love her!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:29 am
Lol, so I'm guessing that Johnny the Homicidal Maniac would be too adult for children? -laughs and laughs-
I do remember seeing this one show, however, on Discovery Kids called...uh, Growing Up Creepie? The main chick is gothic.
---
User Image

Um, yeah...

this wretched thing

Shapeshifter

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:43 am
Marie - PKMN Researcher
Lol, so I'm guessing that Johnny the Homicidal Maniac would be too adult for children? -laughs and laughs-
I do remember seeing this one show, however, on Discovery Kids called...uh, Growing Up Creepie? The main chick is gothic.
---
User Image

Um, yeah...
That's the show I was talking about! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:48 am
Blackrose Kaire
Marie - PKMN Researcher
---
User Image

Um, yeah...

=D! Does this mean I get a cookie now?

this wretched thing

Shapeshifter

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:34 am
Marie - PKMN Researcher
Blackrose Kaire
Marie - PKMN Researcher
---
User Image

Um, yeah...

*pats on the head and gives a cookie*Good girl xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:05 pm
Blackrose Kaire
Marie - PKMN Researcher
Blackrose Kaire
Marie - PKMN Researcher
---
User Image

Um, yeah...

NUUUUUU those cookies are for special people only... by special I mean SPESHUL!  

Rellik San
Crew

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:29 pm
Rellik San
Blackrose Kaire
Marie - PKMN Researcher
Blackrose Kaire
Marie - PKMN Researcher
---
User Image

Um, yeah...

Don't worry,you'll get a cookie too biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:07 pm
Blackrose Kaire
Rellik San
Blackrose Kaire
Marie - PKMN Researcher
Blackrose Kaire
Marie - PKMN Researcher
---
User Image

Um, yeah...

YAY! *Runs into a wall with excitement*

OWIE!  

Rellik San
Crew

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:02 pm
Rellik San
Blackrose Kaire
Rellik San
Blackrose Kaire
Marie - PKMN Researcher

OWIE!
*Pats head* And because your so special I'll give you 2 cookies..and a....DONUT!

Or a cupcake,your choice mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:44 pm
Blackrose Kaire
Rellik San
Blackrose Kaire
Rellik San
Blackrose Kaire
Marie - PKMN Researcher

OWIE!
*Pats head* And because your so special I'll give you 2 cookies..and a....DONUT!

Or a cupcake,your choice mrgreen

O_O DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CUP CAKE PLEASE! mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen

*ahem* on topic. I can't remember what its called, but theres this one off comic, where a super heroine travels through all the comic book cliche universes to save them from a nuclear bomb, theres an anime ninja/goth chick in it, its by Adam Warren and it turns out her hamster is really an evil alien over lord.  

Rellik San
Crew

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:30 am
The Goth Apple

She was awesome. I wanted there to be more of her in the movie!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:33 pm
spooky_sez
The Goth Apple

She was awesome. I wanted there to be more of her in the movie!
She only had one line in the whole movie,right?  

Awesome Akwardness

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:54 pm
spooky_sez

I want her dress. O.O

Anyways, on topic. I really don't watch many cartoons, but I did catch an episode of Danny Phantom once. I know that she has already been mentioned, but Sam from that show is quite cool.

I have noticed that quite a few anime series and manga have dark undertones though, and some I might even say have a very strong gothic influence. One example of this would be Kaori Yuki's Godchild and Cain Saga series. As for more 'kid-friendly' series, DNAngel contains depictions of medieval castles and the like, and shows darkness as being not nessecarialy bad. Some of the overlap between gothic culture and anime could be attributed to a lot of the somewhat religious imagry associated with gothic culture; Elaborate celtic crosses, depictions of fallen angels, cemetaries, medieval castles, and other such imagry is sometimes tied to gothic culture. Such religious imagry can often be found in anime with religious undertones, such as Chrono Crusade.

As far as the trend of the gothic archtype in childrens television shows in the west, I don't see it as being a bad thing. This archtype seems to have evolved over time, from being (in general) creepy and evil, to now being shown in a more positive light. From the episode of Danny Phantom that I watched, Sam was portrayed as a strong, intelligent, and unique girl. From the gothic archtypes I have seen in the media over the past few years, it seems that goths are becoming a strong media archtype, and the trend will not likley dissappear soon.

As for my stance on it, I'm quite happy with it. Charcaters such as Sam from Danny Phantom and Abbey from NCIS don't really show goths to be mysterious, creepy, and evil, but instead show them as being normal human beings.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff