Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Can you be Wiccan or a Witch and still go to church? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Where do you stand?
  Yes...can be Wiccan and still go to church
  Yes...can be a Witch and still go to church
  No...you cannot do both
  Don't care
View Results

faerie_kisses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:26 am
I have found some reasonable arguments for being a Christian-Witch, especially if when melding Catholicism to witchcraft, but a Christian-Wiccan? Hrrr.

I know people do it. How the reconcile it in their heads, though, I can't imagine. As Ultraviolet said, it seems impressively disrespectful to all parties involved. I suppose one would need a /very/ liberal, mythological take on the Christian God to make it work.

Help hatch my eggs! User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:34 am
Dragoness Arleeana
Well, if anyone would actually take the time to read the bible they'd realize that the teachings of Jesus are very similar to Wicca. Jesus taught tollerance and acceptance, to love and forgive, much like Wicca does. People who continue to go to church and also practice Wicca usually believe in the Lord and Lady as their gods and then also believe in the spreading of the word of Jesus. Jesus was a great guy, but his message has been corrupted and muddled up by the church.

i agree  

divine_retrobution

No-pium

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:55 pm
Right now, since my parent's don't want me to practice wicc.a, and I was raised christian, I'm doing a bit of both. I'm kind of UU, and I believe that every religion is just a different way to worship the same god/godd.ess. I'm practicing 2 paths until I'm out of this house. Then it's plain old neo-wic.ca for me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:48 pm
hmm. an interesring topic. i've heard of those who use the christain pantheon with the virgin mary as the goddess, but that seems unusual to me. not because its a bad idea nesessarily, but with that pantheon, u get "satan" and personally, i believe that to give negativity a name gives it more power. with the world in a crisis, as it rather seems to be now, i cant believe anyone would think negativity needs more power. in conclusion, i think that church and wicca clash, and to try to make them not is like trying to make apples more like oranges, and viseaversa.  

Aryain Flames

Blaire-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:42 pm
I do not see how this is any different then my situation. I am a catholic who goes to church but I still research wicca and respect it as a religion/way of life/etc. I do not think it is a problem to practice wicca and visiting a church though I do not believe you can practice both at once. It is not possible to devote your heart to both, nor is it wise. Those are just my thought though.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:48 am
I don't see how you can be a Wiccan and a Christian at the same time. That said, Gardner seems to think you can:

“I can see no real reason why one cannot be a good enough though unorthodox Christian and a witch at the same time.” (Gardner, Witchcraft Today, p79)

Though whether he's doing his usual "Witch=Wiccan" thing, or simply referring to witches here, I do not know.

I do think you can be a witch and a Christian. Witchcraft isn't a religion after all, and one can practise witchcraft within a Christian context, as the cunning folk and the ceremonial magicians did.  

Sybil Unrest

x-Xx-Kiki-Coco-xX-x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:10 am
In my opinion you can go to church if you are a wiccan, it doesnt mean that you arent a wiccan. Just because you go doesnt make you which ever that religion is.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:42 pm
I am a lutheren Wiccan- My patron god is GOD as in christian God and then my patron goddess is Mary (mother of Jesus) I do go 2 church and take communion but I say different things is church and due rituals @ home and celebrate wiccan holidays  

TheUltimateToastOverlord

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:23 pm
TheUltimateToastOverlord
I am a lutheren Wiccan- My patron god is GOD as in christian God and then my patron goddess is Mary (mother of Jesus) I do go 2 church and take communion but I say different things is church and due rituals @ home and celebrate wiccan holidays

With all due respect: The Lord and The Lady of Wicca are individual deities, who cannot be replaced with any other deity. If your deities are the Christian God, and Mary, you're not practicing the rites of Wicca.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:27 pm
TheUltimateToastOverlord
I am a lutheren Wiccan-

Oi.
I would say that unless you're a priestess of the Lord and Lady of the Isles, that you're not Wiccan. You might be Pagan...but you're combining two mutually exclusive concepts and in the end you have something that's neither Christian nor Pagan.
So....you get to think of a name for this hybrid faith.
Go.
Quote:
My patron god is GOD as in christian God and then my patron goddess is Mary (mother of Jesus)

Nope.
The god and goddess of Wicca are the Lord and Lady of the Isles.
To transplant other gods into their roles in Wicca makes it not-Wicca, as well as being pretty insulting to all deities involved.

Quote:
I do go 2 church and take communion but I say different things is church and due rituals @ home and celebrate wiccan holidays

I'm confused by what you mean when you say "I say different thing is church..."
Do you mean that you say different things during prayers at church? I'm very confused.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:30 pm
TheUltimateToastOverlord

Mary is not a goddess stare To elevate her to godhood sounds rather disrespectful of your god. And of Mary. Considering that she's not a goddess.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:23 pm
Morgandria
TheUltimateToastOverlord

With all due respect: The Lord and The Lady of Wicca are individual deities, who cannot be replaced with any other deity. If your deities are the Christian God, and Mary, you're not practicing the rites of Wicca.
personally I dont really ggive a s**t because I can make my own relligion just like pagans and christians do. and to Sanguina Cruenta- I can have my own god and personally I dont really care if shes not a goddess, aphrodite wasnt a goddess till she was made one, I can have my own goddess a new one a better one

my hybrid faith is know called chragatian. or Chu-rag- a- tion  

TheUltimateToastOverlord

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:31 pm
TheUltimateToastOverlord
Morgandria
TheUltimateToastOverlord

personally I dont really ggive a s**t because I can make my own relligion just like pagans and christians do. and to Sanguina Cruenta- I can have my own god and personally I dont really care if shes not a goddess, aphrodite wasnt a goddess till she was made one, I can have my own goddess a new one a better one

If that is the case, then don't use the term Wicca to describe your hybrid faith. You are not entitled to do so, and there isn't a single element of it that is Wiccan in nature.

Aphrodite was born of the Gods. She was not "made" one, as she was never mortal. There are several different versions of the story of her birth, but not one of them says she was ever anything other than a Goddess.

And I would appreciate you stowing the attitude. I was being polite. I'm sorry you dislike being contradicted, but I was not attempting to invalidate you. I was simply stating the facts of the matter.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:31 pm
TheUltimateToastOverlord
personally I dont really ggive a s**t because I can make my own relligion just like pagans and christians do.

Great; good for you.
Just give it an original name and don't call it "Christan-Wicca" or some irrelevent s**t.
What do you give a s**t about then in creating your own religion? Does the nature of the deitiy matter? Does cultural or historical context matter at all?
Or do you just want warm divine fuzzies?
Quote:
and to Sanguina Cruenta- I can have my own god and personally I dont really care if shes not a goddess, aphrodite wasnt a goddess till she was made one, I can have my own goddess a new one a better one

So now you're about making your own religion....and now you're being terribly disrespectful of one of the figures you want to hold up as a god? Does it ever sink in that maybe Mary doesn't want to be a goddess and is not meant to be worshiped as a goddess? That according to that faith, there can and will be no other deities? That was one of the Abrahamic god's biggest rules, to have no other gods before him.
Why does your "I WANT A GODDESS AND I WANT HER NOW!" trump the person/divine figure you're trying to misappropriate? It is frustrating when someone is trying to make a faith and they feel that they can just ignore the things that they don't like which are still integral parts of what they like and are using.
And who do you think you are saying that you can "make one better"? confused If you feel you need to make a divine being "better" then you should probably leave them alone and go find a deity that measures up to your standards. It is terribly rude to take a deity and then try to tell him/her or make him/her "better."

Quote:

How did you come up with this name, out of curiosity?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:45 pm
TheUltimateToastOverlord
I can have my own god and personally I dont really care if shes not a goddess, aphrodite wasnt a goddess till she was made one, I can have my own goddess a new one a better one

Aphrodite has always been a goddess. Show me a myth where she started as a mortal.

Show me any Christian text that respects Mary as a deity.
She's a mortal. If you love and honour her, why the hell would you pretend she's something that she's not? Wanting Mary to be a goddess won't make her a goddess any more thank wanting your great grandmother to be a goddess will make her a goddess.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games