Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Surreal Sanctuary*~

Back to Guilds

This guild is a safe haven for the literate of Gaia. It is a hang-out where otakus, writers, readers, artists, and musicians can have fun. 

Tags: anime, roleplay, writer, books, gold 

Reply •◘•The Readers' Haven•◘•
What is your favorite book/book series? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Guess Otulissa's favorite book series!
  Artemis Fowl
  Guardians of Ga'hoole
  The Inheritance Trilogy
  The Silverwing Saga
  The City of Ember series
  Harry Potter
  She doesn't have one!
  She hates to read! (me: 0_0)
View Results

Jade Anna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 am
Honestly, I don't think that the author's past has all that much to do with the quality of the story. It is true that many people were brought together by the Harry Potter series, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but that doesn't mean that no one should be allowed to dislike it, no matter how popular it is in the eyes of 'people of all ages'. Any piece of literature has its critics, and its fans. The fans shouldn't expect there to be no critics whatsoever, regardless of even the most perfectly sound of reasonings.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:23 am
What's your favorite manga series?
I would have to say that mine is the Dragon Ball Z series, but I have not gotten one for a while and it is a old series.

Your favorite movie that was based on a book you read/book series you read?
I liked the Lord of the Rings Trilogy movies because they contained most of the information from the book.

Your least favorite book/book series?
Seriously? I would have to say Garth Nix's Seventh Tower series. I know I am the captain of his guild, but I personally did not like the series.

Your favorite author?
I would say it is a tie between 3 authors:
1) Christopher Paolini for the Inheritance Cycle (has announced there will be 4 books : )
2) Garth Nix for his Old Kingdom Trilogy (New books to come out in a couple years even though it was a trilogy.)
3) Eoin Colfier for the Artemis Fowl series.  

TribesmanGaming

4,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100

murderface

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:22 pm
My favourate series is proberly steven kings (sry bad spelling) Dark Tower series. I love the charactors in it. Ten years ago it was Animorths. I also have loved the Hitch hikers guid to the galaxy for many years.

I have not read enough Manga to have a favourate... but I do love Asterix Comics to bits. tock tock tock, "these romans are crazy!"

My least favourate book is... I really dont know, books i had to read for soils class in polytech. Dirt is really boring.

My fav authers are, Douglas adams who wrote hitch hiker guide to the galaxy, Hunter s thompson for Fear and loathing in las vegas (also my fav book to movie based on a book. honestly if you ever get a chance read it and see the movie. brutal and crazy and just plain cool. You would never beleive its a true story.) Lewis carol, william blake for his poetry, and my uncle (he has never published becos he has nether tried, but he could, he wrote a whole screenplay, its awesome and when im a film maker im going to make it for him, if he still hasnt put it out there.)  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:04 am
Jade Anna
Honestly, I don't think that the author's past has all that much to do with the quality of the story. It is true that many people were brought together by the Harry Potter series, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but that doesn't mean that no one should be allowed to dislike it, no matter how popular it is in the eyes of 'people of all ages'. Any piece of literature has its critics, and its fans. The fans shouldn't expect there to be no critics whatsoever, regardless of even the most perfectly sound of reasonings.

Yes, very well-put. I appreciate what Rowling is doing for her fans, and bringing enjoyment to people, but I am simply not one of those people.  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:06 am
Reader OV Eragon
What's your favorite manga series?
I would have to say that mine is the Dragon Ball Z series, but I have not gotten one for a while and it is a old series.

Your favorite movie that was based on a book you read/book series you read?
I liked the Lord of the Rings Trilogy movies because they contained most of the information from the book.

Your least favorite book/book series?
Seriously? I would have to say Garth Nix's Seventh Tower series. I know I am the captain of his guild, but I personally did not like the series.

Your favorite author?
I would say it is a tie between 3 authors:
1) Christopher Paolini for the Inheritance Cycle (has announced there will be 4 books : )
2) Garth Nix for his Old Kingdom Trilogy (New books to come out in a couple years even though it was a trilogy.)
3) Eoin Colfier for the Artemis Fowl series.

I love the Lord of the Rings Trilogy too! It is just so captivating! And the movie had great special effects.

Wow...we have two of the same favorite authors! Christopher Paolini and Eoin Colfer. And for the same books.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:14 pm
Favorite Book turned into a movie-

The Lord of the Rings Series, for not screwing up the works as other movies have done... and for capturing my heart. ( I LOVE the Lord of the Rings... too much)

Favorite Book series(es)-

Dragonlance Chronicles
Harry Potter
LoTR
The Legend of Drizzt
Inheritance
The works of Shakespeare (most especially Hamlet)

Favorite Authors-

J. R. R. Tolkien
R. A. Salvatore
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Frank Herbert
Bram Stoker
H. G. Wells
William Shakespeare

... I think that shall suffice for now...  

Zarroth

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:07 pm
Hm... I love the Inheritance too! And Lord of the Rings. biggrin Shakespeare is always good, too. Classic.

Harry Potter isn't my cup of tea...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:33 am
I think your fave is GoGh! biggrin it's my fave too yay  

SunnyNights

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:21 am
Yay! biggrin I do so love Guardians of Ga'hoole.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:04 pm
I love reading, sadly I haven't had alot of time to do so. I love Tamora Pierce and all of her books. Also a few other good books are The Faralsan Trilogy by Hilarai Bell, The Hidden Queen by Alama Alexender, Abarat series by Clive Barker. Also there is another author I enjoy, but can't think of the name.

I am a big fantasy lover. So if anyone has any good books to suggest, please do tell.

One author I do not like is Eoin Colfier with the Artemis Fowl series.
Also the book Octavian Nothing isn't very good in my mind.  

Tru_callings

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:59 pm
Yesyes! You sound like you like the same books as me, in which case you might want to check out any of the books I have ever mentioned in this guild, um, I think a list of some of themm are in the debate of books thread.

[:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:02 am
Tru_callings
I love reading, sadly I haven't had alot of time to do so. I love Tamora Pierce and all of her books. Also a few other good books are The Faralsan Trilogy by Hilarai Bell, The Hidden Queen by Alama Alexender, Abarat series by Clive Barker. Also there is another author I enjoy, but can't think of the name.

I am a big fantasy lover. So if anyone has any good books to suggest, please do tell.

One author I do not like is Eoin Colfier with the Artemis Fowl series.
Also the book Octavian Nothing isn't very good in my mind.
Oh, really? I love Eoin Colfer's books! Including Artemis Fowl. XD Do you not like Sci-fi? Or do you simply dislike his writing style?  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

Tru_callings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:57 pm
No, I like sci-fi, it's just I tried to read the first Artemis Fowl book, and it just didn't pull me in. Then again I only read like the first 10 pages. I am the person that if it doesn't spark my interest at the beginning, then I give up on it. Maybe someday though I will try again.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:50 am
Hahahaaa, Hey, I just liked it because of it's shinyy coverr.

Who can blame me? It was mezmorizing...

hahaaha :]

Hey, has anyone ever read the book Mars? Well, actually I'm not sure what it's called but it's a scifi story about this guy who ends up on Mars Moon doing some project and theres a big thing in the dust that's eating people? I dunno, I'll look it up I suppose.

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:09 pm
Hehe... Even if I hate a book, I can never just stop reading it mid-way. xD I feel super guilty if I do, and it haunts me. So I just HAVE to finish it. Even Harry Potter. xD I hate Harry Potter, from the first 10 pages too, but I finished the book I started. XD It was painfully boring.

Hmm....Mars? Never heard of it. Sounds good, though.  
•◘•The Readers' Haven•◘•

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff