Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yay Or Nay
  yay
  nay
View Results

Bloody_Vampire_Heart666

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:08 am
I guess you can say i " came out of the casket" in 5th grade i was still in elementry school at that point but i was just getting into it i just started wearing black then 6th grade came around and all i wore was black but i still had to wear some color to make my parents happy not they don't give a care  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:45 am
-Resurrected Writer-

Also, just to point it out, the term industrial was around long before NIN. Throbbing Gristle, 23 Skidoo, SPK, and others pioneered that genre back in the late seventies and eighties.

<3's for mentioning Throbbing Gristle.

Now to keep on topic.

Coming "out of the casket," might seem fairly silly (and I don't remember what I voted, I should have voted "yay" but I'm tired), but I honestly think it's rare you're going to be "goth since you were born". Many do have certain persuasions or weird behavior before puberty, but those certain years in one's life (middle and high school) are what help start to define a person as they get older. It's rare you'll meet someone who's truly "found themselves" during their teen years. Rather, you have kids who explore interests, trends, and find what they like. Many become too caught up in trends, or social acceptance (it doesn't matter what group you hang around, you're looking for acceptance, and many will do a dance to get that much-needed approval), others walk to the beat of their own drum, and still by their early twenties, you see people lost in their own heads trying to figure out who they are.

Goth is a phase for some. For others, it isn't. "Coming out of the casket" could simply mean an acceptance of oneself in this particular aspect, or trying on a new pair of subculture shoes for a few years to see if they fit.

Some may say that because goth is a "way of thinking," or a mindset, or a lifestyle. These same people may say that it's something that's innate: you have it or you don't. I'd like to argue that human beings go through many "ways of thinking" throughout life. Some they retain until they're old, some only fit within certain periods of their lives. Lifestyles are choices (being gay is not a lifestyle, making yourself "all about being gay" is a lifestyle, for example), mindsets are choices (like attitudes), and while you may innately enjoy things that are goth, it takes an active step to pursue a subculture or a lifestyle that one might say is "goth". And a word to the wise; just like being gay, goth can be a simple part of you. It's never smart to let it define you, as all of you. It's a shifting label, easy to use and misuse and has a wide spread of meaning to different people. Pigeonholing has never led to good results, and you (the faceless masses) want to grow as individuals, right?

*gets off soapbox* Wow. A lot bigger than I expected.  

Mina

Kostbarer Alptraum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:10 am
I'm on my way to goth when it comes to looking the part. But I believe I came out of the casket Sophomore year, when I first heard of Joy Division and The Cruxshadows.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:12 pm
I flew out of the casket once I was allowed to go shopping by myself. ^_^ It was about time too, I was 14 and couldn't wait to buy something lacey and black.  

Herself Online

Gaylord Mule 3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:12 pm
Herself Online
I flew out of the casket once I was allowed to go shopping by myself. ^_^ It was about time too, I was 14 and couldn't wait to buy something lacey and black.

I build my look from the ground up. i hgad no money when i was15-16 second hand stores fabric paint and cheap fishnet pantyhose started my look off realy well. (i spent most of my cash on razors and hairgell to keep my mohawk up and clean)  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:34 pm
Herself Online
My parents chuck a lot of the stuff I have....so it doesn't matter what I buy. I have to change at school and then out of it again when the day is done.

I hacked my way through the casket many moons ago. (6th grade) It was actually more of a coming out to other people because I finaly had the freedom to do so... sweatdrop  

Henneth Annun
Captain

ShadowLotus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:28 pm
I became pretty dark at 14 but didn't try to break out with it until 16.
I didn't dress it until 17 because my Mother was against it and at that time I could afford my own clothes.
Since then I express it everywhere I can.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:48 pm
I only loosely associate myself with gothdom. I know, I know, it's the old cliche of not wanting to be labeled. Really I don't mind much when people label me (as long as they don't call me emo), but I don't like to label myself. I just don't want to restrict my style in my own thinking. Does that make sense?

So in the technical sense of the question I still haven't come out of the casket. I have yet to go screaming from the rooftops proudly proclaiming that I am goth.

However, people have been calling me goth since... oh... 6th, 7th grade? Ish? I'm not sure.  

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

doom1000

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:16 pm
Saw my first goth in the school. I had just transfered. At first i was freaking scared of him, but later i found out that he would never hurt a fly. Two years later (or something like that) i meat one of my now best frineds. He was goth, and had just started at our school. Slowly i got tired of my skater look, and started dressing more alternative.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:34 am
I like your phrase! biggrin  

Veruniel
Crew

Spooky Ames

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:50 pm
xxrackellaxx
Sometime in sixth grade I started wearing black and listening to Evanescence and generally being the most annoying babybat ever. *hangs head in shame* Then in about sophomore year in high school I started listening to goth music and finding places other than Hot Topic to shop at.
Ditto. But seriously, I wouldn't call myself a goth, because labels are soo limited. I'm basically a combination of nerd/goth, and I used to be prissy/preppy and I was kinda emo once even. I've been a lot of different things, and I still am still very full of variety. I like to be open to everything, I guess. Goth is just my favorite. <3  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:27 pm
Sixth Grade.
I'm currently in Tenth Grade, I'm dressing in less black now,
However, I still dress similar to how I did.

stefcia stefcia

Versatile Shapeshifter

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:40 am
Well, I never came out of the casket sad , I started to get interest in the Goth when i went to college ( when i was 1 cool , I started on the baby bat way (Manson, HIM, etc...) but never went further. As for dressing the part i started dressing in black since i was 10 and i still do, everyone around my college recognize me as " Xarah who always dresses in black", but nothing more in my apparel shows any sign of Gothness except maybe my rings, I try to look Goth on Gaia though, it doesn't seem to work out well for me.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:55 pm
I was apparently out of said casket for a while, but I officially came out in me Sophomore year of High School. I started wearing way more black then, and really indulged myself in my likes of the morbid.  

Bane Rie

Hunter of the Dammed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:52 am
Bloody Ocean Romantic
From the moment that I picked up my first Marilyn Manson album, I knew it.
A lot of people can't exactly classify the kind of rock that he plays, but you can't help but look at him at first and think "goth".
Too many people say that he gives goths a bad name, and thus that is why so many deject him as so, but his message is clear: nonconformity.
His views are a lot like my own, and in saying that I am pledging that I am a goth in the heart, and in the soul. mrgreen
He does have good music  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces