Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Your Wiccan/Pagan Path...and How Did You Know? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Share:
  yes!!!
  no :-(
View Results

Ellisari

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:34 pm
Sanguina-chan
iChibi-Panda
Also, advice on parental issues I would very much adore. My parents think me to be just rebelling against their beliefs, and that I'll just "fall back into them" when I'm more "mature". [Although, although I'm hyper and random more often than not, I'm altogether mature for my age]
They do not understand that I have found my way. I have yet to explore it, but I am very sure Neo-Paganism/Paganism is right for me.
My mom is already suspicious of my makeshift altar. I need to know how to tell them... And how to counter their reaction. Or at least how to practice in secret. ;]

We can tell you're mature mrgreen

I would recommend scaling things back. Having an altar is great, but you don't need one to practice freeform Pagan spirituality or religion. You can put that in the "later" pile.

If you feel like having a dialogue with them about it (which I actually recommend over keeping it a secret), then sit them down for a serious conversation. It's scary, but it can be done. Let them know that you honour and respect their religion, but that it's not for you. Say that at the moment, you're exploring other ways of honouring the divine and celebrating your spirituality, but that you haven't made any solid choices yet. Stress that you're learning and looking around. If you like, you could also look into other spiritual paths that are not Pagan - you don't have to want to follow any of these religions to find them interesting. It will also help your case wink So check out the Gnostic gospels, explore the history and different forms of Christianity, look into Judaism, Buddhism etc.

It's important to let them know that you respect their religion. If you don't respect theirs, why would they respect yours? Catholicism, while it contains elements I don't personally approve of, is a complex and fascinating religion with a long history. You lose nothing and gain a great deal from looking into it from an academic perspective, and it will drive home to them that you a) honour their own religious choices, b) respect Christianity in general, and c) are not rebelling against their religion. In addition, be aware that their spiritual paths are as important to them as yours is to you.

Don't raise your voice, yell, get angry or upset. Try to be calm, collected and mature as I'm sure you can be.

That's the best advice I can give you at this point, I think. Good luck!

^_________^ I'll try that out and see how it goes..

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:11 pm
For me, most of the ideals and beliefs were already in my heart-- they just didn't have a name or a deity.
Then my brother told me about Wicca and paganism, and it went from there...

o sunflower king

RubyLight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:54 pm
When I was in 8th grade, I realized that duality exsisted. At a minimum there had to be a divine masculine AND a divine femine. So I investigated Wicca in it's solitary form (which it being referred to as actual Wicca is under much debate). I had a dream about Norse dieties a few years ago and found the pantheon beautiful. I am currently practicing ecclectic paganism and I'm researching more options in the Norse paganism department.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:20 pm
I wasn't raised in any particular religion(atheist parents) but always wanted a religion of my own. Something that doesn't comfort me, but challenges me. I needed a religion/lifestyle that challenged my spiritual ideas and beliefs and constantly made me strive for higher ground on the 'enlightenment' scale.
After quite a while (and some serious dabbling in Wicca) I took a very Trad Witchcraft type approach to everything (specifically Cornish). My beliefs are a mix of many religious ideals, I took quite a lot from Buddhism into my daily life, but I am very drawn to folk magic type things and symbols and such.

Even if my lifestyle is a strain on the spiritual, I have never felt more in control.  

LRGG1

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:10 am
Ayashe: Out of curiosity, what were your sources and such for learning Traditional Witchcraft?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:40 am
Quote:
Did you just wake up one day and know, or was it something that occurred over time? Are you still not sure about what path you are on, or are you set in your practices?

My first ever exposure to any kind of paganism was at age 18 to the most fluffy variation of faux mid-90s "Wicca" possible. Regardless, despite the fact that I recognized that this had problems, I had a deep sense of homecoming that so many pagans do just by the sheer earthiness of it; I felt that I was always this, I just didn't know there was a name for it.

I don't call myself anything but generic pagan now. If I could discover a practice that was in line with my Buddhist and Native American practices, I'd sign up right away as I would like to be part of a group - but I don't think that's going to happen, so solitary I stay.  

Mirenithil

9,700 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

xX_Radakatve Jellybean_xX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:23 pm
ever since i was a child i have always been interested in magic,mulitple gods,and just peace with the earth.i was born a christian and face with depression i found peace and comfort in the wiccan path.and even though many do not understand i have been completly at peace ever since.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:25 pm
Ever since I was little I didn't agree with the things that I was being taught in church, and it bothered me.
So after I graduated high school and started college, I began searching inside myself, and asking myself what it was that I believed. After that I began looking on the internet and doing research on different religions, and than I came across Wicca, and it was basically a eureka moment. I did more research, read books, and than I knew that Wicca was what I'd been searching for.

My mom has been great during my search. She is so supportive and understanding. That was one thing that I was worried about, because she was a reverend's kid growing up.

I've found what makes me happy, and I plan on following that path the rest of my life, and while I plan to raise my children on the Wicca path, I will teach them that there are many paths to happiness and peace, and if they want to follow one of those paths, I will support them, like my mother supported me.  

Diana_Moon

wiccan of the moon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:55 pm
I tried Christianity. It didn't really work out, it was too much of a pain. I ended up looking for Wicca books at the library and was interested at what i saw. Not to long ago Wicca started to, if you can believe it, call to me. I don't exactly understand it myself.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:30 am
I knew at a very early age in my life that I was different, but I couldn't figure it out. I was very fortunate to have a mother that didn't want to push a religion on me, and gave me the option of what religion I wanted to be. I tried church, but it didn't feel right. When I was 10yrs old she got me into Native American dancing, and I felt at peace while worshiping Mother Earth and Father Sky. At 11 I noticed that I could make things happen without doing anything, like making something move across a room. Most people would tweek out at that, but not me. That is when I learned that I am a natural born witch, but I couldn't ask my parents to get me the books on it, so I just waited. I did learn in the mean time that a lot of Native American beliefs and Wiccan beliefs are the same and that they also used the pentacle. When I was 17 is when I went out and bought my own books cause I was working. I joined my first Coven at 18, it was the Coven of my boyfriend at the time, so that's how I joined. They are the ones who helped me fine tune my powers/abilities, and what deity I would be best suited to worship the most (the Triple Goddess). I have been on this path ever since. I am very fortunate to have met and married a fellow natural born, so we practice together now. Hopefully we will be able to form our own Coven soon, or at least find one thta suits us to join with.  

Angelbaby In Love

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:15 am
Fairy Queen Tatyana
I knew at a very early age in my life that I was different, but I couldn't figure it out. I was very fortunate to have a mother that didn't want to push a religion on me, and gave me the option of what religion I wanted to be. I tried church, but it didn't feel right. When I was 10yrs old she got me into Native American dancing, and I felt at peace while worshiping Mother Earth and Father Sky. At 11 I noticed that I could make things happen without doing anything, like making something move across a room. Most people would tweek out at that, but not me. That is when I learned that I am a natural born witch, but I couldn't ask my parents to get me the books on it, so I just waited. I did learn in the mean time that a lot of Native American beliefs and Wiccan beliefs are the same and that they also used the pentacle. When I was 17 is when I went out and bought my own books cause I was working. I joined my first Coven at 18, it was the Coven of my boyfriend at the time, so that's how I joined. They are the ones who helped me fine tune my powers/abilities, and what deity I would be best suited to worship the most (the Triple Goddess). I have been on this path ever since. I am very fortunate to have met and married a fellow natural born, so we practice together now. Hopefully we will be able to form our own Coven soon, or at least find one thta suits us to join with.

You keep making this claim, that Native American belief are the same as Wiccan one. But you never answer anyone's questions regarding this. Speaking as someone who is legitimately Native, and who is also an initiated Wiccan, I fail to see how your claim is accurate. Wicca, and Native spirituality, are very different - even in practice. Not to mention that 'Native American' covers such a multitude of nations and spirituality that it really depends on which nation you're talking about. Which people? Which tribe? Where?

Why do you think they're the same? What do you think "Wiccan beliefs" are? What books did you read that made you decide to seek Wicca properly? What tradition of Wicca are you an initiate of? When did you become a 3* initiate? How old are you?

The "Triple Goddess" soft polythestic archetype, isn't Wiccan. The Lady of the Isles isn't a Triple Goddess, nor is Wicca soft polytheistic. Please forgive my skepticism, but what you describe as Wicca....really doesn't match up with my experiences as a Wiccan. So I'm really curious.

This is my real problem with your statements, though:
What's "natural born" got to do with anything? There's no such thing as a natural born witch. Witchcraft is a craft - right in the name - and like any other craft you have to learn it and hone it before you can say you're a witch.

You might have a natural "knack" for it, but it doesn't make you better than someone else for having it, and it doesn't mean that the knowledge was complete and whole inside your head already, full-sprung like Athena from Zeus' brow.

No-one is a natural-born carpenter, or a natural-born seamstress...goes the same for witches. Calling oneself a "Natural-born witch" smacks of two things, in my opinion: hubris, and deliberate intellectual dishonesty. Are you deliberately attempting to make yourself special, or elevated over those who admit they've had to do their homework to be a witch? Because that's what it looks like.

I'm not saying what you practice is invalid, nor am I trying to be rude. I'm just trying to understand what you're saying, and perhaps correct any misinformation you're labouring under - since there seems to be some.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:13 am
i always had 'issues' with christianity and so for a while i had no specific religion. i was not an atheist, but i just didn't know what i believed. i was actually one of those people who was afraid of witchcraft, because i didn't understand it. it really freaked me out when my mother began practicing, lol. then there was this guy that i worked with who started stalking me, like seriously, it was scary. he gave me a samarai sword as a gift and it had a really weird, not-quite-right vibe to it so of course i did not keep it. i was terrified to have it in the house, so i put it outside and eventually someone took it away (he claimed to be a wiccan, but i really think he was just trying to be different on purpose because he said that he was a blood drinking vampire and knew that he was a nobleman in romania in a past life... so yeah, add to that trying to be punk/goth/emo).

the guy still persued me and then my mom was really worried so she told me that i should ask for help (of course she meant magick). so i worked a spell to get him to leave me alone and it worked. being a novice i didn't know about the consequences that spells could have, but luckily he and his family just moved, plus i didn't have to be scared anymore. from then on i was just like "wow, maybe there is something to this" and then i began my research and found that it fit more than most religions, from what i had read, and then discovered that there were eclectic paths as well. this all happened around 5-6 years ago, so i know alot more now, obviously, lol.

wow, that was kind of a long story xd

EDIT: i just want to say, before anyone stabs me for it, i have no problem with goths, emos, punks, or wiccans - but the wannabes irritate me. and as far as vampires go, well they all kinda weird me out, the real ones and the wannabes, but i mean no offense... unless you are a wannabe... hehe, thats a fun word to say, wannabe! it kinda sounds like wallaby (sp?)  

whiporwill-o

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:41 am
How I've come to my path is rather complex and completly tied in with my personal story of how I came to my family and what not. It is a personal story, but I feel comfortable and safe with you all so I am going to share my story with you. If you have questions or anything feel free to ask me. I don't bite wink

So when I was a baby my biological parents were Satanists. They would have me sit in a room upstairs and watch while they performed their rites and rituals. Once and a great while I will have a flash back to the rituals. I don't know what form of Satanism they practiced, so don't ask. I just know that when I did participate I had a puppy mask that I would wear.

I was then placed in a foster home. They weren't religious but we did celebrate Christmas and Easter. I attended a Bible summer camp when I was about 5 and it was interesting. I don't remember much about it other than it was Baptisit in theme.

When I was 6 1/2 I was placed in the care of the family that would adopt me. My mother taught me how to pray and about Jesus and God. For the first few years we were looking for a Church to raise me in. My mom didn't want to raise me Catholic like she was.

When I was 9 we found a Church. It was the local UCC (United Church of Christ). I was baptized and became a member of the church. I took sunday school classes and did all the activities I could with in the church. At the same time my father was teaching me about the sacredness of nature and that no one messed with mother nature.

So I always assumed that there was Father (God) and Mother nature (Goddess). I never worshiped the Mother but I did respect her and all the power that she had. When I was 13 my grandmother died of lung cancer. It was at this time that my Mother started to explore spirituality and the Occult and the like.

For either my 13th or 14th birthday I was given the book Teen Wicth By Silver Raven wolf. That's what started me on my path. The next several years of my life were filled with a mixture of Chrsitianity and Paganism. I wasn't sure where to go so I was confirmed in the Church and I became an assistant Sunday school teacher.

When I was 18 I knew that the Church just wasn't for me so I stopped helping and I was not sure what I believed in. I came to Gaia and learned that I was not Wiccan. That started my interest in Wicca. Then I started learning about Hellenismos and other Pagan paths. Eventually I found the Temple of Witchcraft Tradition.

Now I am 23 years old. I am still a seeker. I mostly have a Norse influence in my practice but I am studying Traditional Wicthcraft, Wicca, Tvaan, Asatru, and Greek Paganism. I have an interest in Thelema and Kemetic Paganism, but they just don't fit the way Asatru and Tvaan and the Temple of Witchcraft Tradition does.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:32 pm
I'm falling even more in love with you, letting go all I've held onto...

When I was little my grandmother raised me as a Roman Catholic and up until I was about 13 I was very content at being Catholic. In fact, I fully planned on becoming a nun. To this day, if I find myself turning back to the Catholic faith, I plan on being a nun. But when I was around 13ish I started realizing that I was breaking one of the Catholic Church's fundamental rules: do not worship any being/thing above that of God/Jesus Christ. I realized that I had placed the Virgin Mary above Christ and God. My biggest pet peeve is people who claim to be of a certain religion, but don't follow the rules. And here I was doing the very thing that I despised.

So I started looking into other faiths. My grandmother supported me (she still does, she believes that I will find my way back to the Church, but that this is a journey I obviously need to experience first. I love my grandma.), my parents didn't. I explored Buddhism, Hindu, and Shinto. I nearly stuck with Shinto and to this day I have an affinity for the Goddess Amaterasu. Then I found Wicca.

I'm not Wiccan. I never initiated myself as Wiccan and I never will, because I know that I could not uphold every rule that exists in the true Wiccan religion. That and I have no desire to join a tradition. I do spell work and holiday rituals with my friends and my former mentor, but they aren't Wiccan either. However, it was Wicca that brought me into Paganism as a whole, so I am thankful for that.

I now know that my need to become Pagan was because I craved a female representation of God. And I chose the belief system of Paganism because I want the flexibility to pick and choose what is best for me, instead of having to stick with someone else's ideas.

...I'm standing here until you make me move, I'm hanging by a moment here with you.

raging-earth

IceQueenMizore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:42 am
Never felt spritually attached to christianity, actually I was brought up Mormon and them values a large part o' my life anyways, I heard about it sounded amazing, might sound weird but it felt like my heart smiled at the ideals of it, picked up a book and it was good. Still trying to unlearn all the stupidity I was taught about other religions I know its BS but 10-8 months vs life time of brain washing...  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games