Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia for everyone who wanto learn about Islam! Or for those muslims who wanto meet muslims. Or if u wanna have fun!!!! 

Tags: Muslim, Islam, Religion, Islamic, United 

Reply ☪)Islamic Discussion(☪
Can you marry? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pheonixia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:15 pm
Haydar the Truthful
Ratri_Cat
BeXlieXve
Maha the Wizard
BeXlieXve
I always wondered how Cain and Abel had kids... I just assumed Adam and Eve had more children, females, and that it was all inbreeding from there on out.

They both married women from other lands.

Okay, but...
Where did these women come from?
Did God/Allah create them too?
How come they didn't get a story about their creation?
Did God/Allah just have writer's block when the Bible/Qu'ran was written?

Erm, Catholics don't believe that God actually wrote the bible...we believe that the writers were inspired by by God.
I always thought that since half the time the bible isn't really detailed, that the writers just forgot to mention that other people existed in the world and such.
but then again, it's just a moral guideline tale for me, not to be taken literally word for word.

I really don't know whether the Qu'ran is believed to be written by God or it's inspired by God sweatdrop there's a huge difference, y'know....

Well... The Prophet (SAW) got messages from God and spoke them to the public of whom would write it all down, And apparently it's never been modified and what not so it's just as it was when it was stated 1400 years ago or somewhere around there. I think it would be somewhat inspired, not completely sure though. I mean for all I know it probably was written by God but the scholars and note takers wrote it all down apparently.

It was completely written by God. God spoke to His angels, who in turn spoke to Muhammad (saw), who delivered the revelation to person who could write the revelation down.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:02 pm
Ratri_Cat

i find it rather hard to believe that it had never ever been modified.

It's never been modified. Meaning the Arabic grammar/words have never been modified. But, people modify the translation.

And the oral stories were not collected from all over the place. There were only two places that they were collected from and that was Mecca and Medina. It should also be noted that very close companions of the Prophet (saw) were always present and he repeated the verses that had been revealed to him. So in a way because everything was recorded it was like the Qur'an and been revealed to multiple people and not just one. These multiple people who knew the whole Qur'an by heart retold the revelations when it was time to write them down. To check the accuracy more then one person was asked to restate the Qur'an all over again and again. That is why the Qur'an is perfect. It did not just merely rely on one person for a part but checked that people had quoted correctly over and over again. The people who completely memorize the Qur'an all called Hafiz or protectors of the Qur'an.

You are confused because in history no one has memorized the full Bible or any other religious scripture. The Qur'an has been memorized many many many many many many many times. Also the writing of the Qur'an in older times had been seen as a very great blessing so much so that it is related that during the Mughal empire the King (who wan not really Muslim as most of his beliefs were of Hindu origin) was influenced by Islam and wrote seven complete Qur'an's in his lifetime. Today even many people memorize the Qur'an. Unlike Christians/Jews Muslims have actually opened up schools to help people who want to memorize the Qur'an memorize it. That is how it can be certain that the Quranic verses have not been abrogated. Especially when collecting oral stories from all over the place and comparing them.

Quote:
But other than that, it sounds still like it is divinely inspired.
...infused with tribal and pre-Islamic beliefs such as the concept of jin and what not. Islam is like Christianity in some ways...pagan beliefs were modified to fit the monotheistic belief system and gained more followers as a result. Heck, even the term "Allah" was used before your Prophet came around.
...kit ugye verekszik részére?

The concept of jinn did not exist before pre-Islamic times.
And Arab beliefs were not "modified" to fit Islam. Meaning Islam was NEVER changed. Yes, there are Bedouin things that have found place in the Qur'an but that is because the Arab beliefs were purified and then added. Also, you should note that the Arabs claimed to be the descendants of Ishmael, the son of Abraham. We beleive in all past Prophets, you cannot claim a religion is abrogated just because of that. And for your information in arabic Allah means the one God. So as arabic was the language of the people God was called Allah. this point does not prove anything. Another thing to point out is that a big portion of the Qur'an was revealed in Medina which was a Jewish city. So if the Muslims for a while lived in a Jewish city why would they change things to fit the Arab custom....it should have been changed to fit the Jewish customs. Also, it should also be noted that when Islam was created then it destroyed most of the Arab customs and beliefs of the time, and thus Muslims in Mecca were SEVERELY persecuted and had to move to Medina. And also Islam claims to be a religion for the whole of mankind not just Arabs so it defeats the purpose if things in Islam had been changed just because of Arab customs.

If you have any real evidence as to how Islam changed to fit the people please provide it.

Quote:
EDIT: what i meant to ask is, does Islam uphold the concept of "sola scriptura"? (scripture alone as determinative of faith) when talking about literal translation and whether to define the Qu'ran as divinely inspired or divinely written.

Confused as to what you mean. I don't want to go on a rant and then ind out I got the meaning of what you said wrong. Please clarify. Thank you.

Posted by an Ahmadhi Muslim. heart  

Pheonixia

Pheonixia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:12 pm
Ratri_Cat

tassan
Allah is the protector of the Quran and He has said that He will protect it himself... so no body can ever modify the holy book?

You are leaving out human fallibility. Humans can screw up God's Word.
Muhammad is human and so were his first followers. Those that spread his tales and faith were also human.
That's where I'm hinting at.

What he actually said (though he said it in a confusing manner) is that Allah has Himself stated through Muhammad (saw) that He Himself would be the protector of the Qur'an. This has been said of no other holy scripture where human interpolation has been involved. What Allah has said through the Prophet (saw) is written in the Qur'an. Now, all believing people believe that Allah has the will to do whatsoever He wishes, meaning he has the power to bring about whatever He wishes, so when Allah said that He Himself would protect the Qur'an no question can arise as to verses being abrogated. That would be a sin.

And so Allah has the power to make Muhammad (saw) different from normal humans, and better.

This topic mostly requires faith in the fact the Allah does exist, and is continually controlling the universe, and that Muhammad (saw) was prophet of God. If you don't have faith then you will jsut see what I am stating as mere rambling.

Quote:
...that there is a possibility that the Qu'ran could have some mistakes...not from God obviously, but from human tradition as well. But that's my out take on it. Catholics acknowledge that the Bible does have the potential for error, since there is a lot of human work that took this Bible to be gathered and written down, but it is the principle of the Bible, the values of the faith that will transcend any human mistake made in Holy Scriptures

The Qur'an has NO mistakes. No two verses contradict each other, and it is not written in a confusing manner (and with no apparent order) as the Bible is written.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:32 pm
Ratri_Cat
tassan

No body has yet been able to change a word of it, it is same as it was.

Oh really now? I'd like to see proof that something that was orally passed down and transcribed is and always will be perfect. I find that difficult to believe. Especially when the teachings were finally collaborated so much later after Muhammad's death.Nobody is perfect. Nobody. Muhammad may have spread God's Word, but he is not perfect. Neither are his followers. Again, you forget to factor in human fallibility.

First off Muslims believe that Muhammad (saw) was perfect. If you examine his life through proper sources you will note that he was perfect.

Now I have already addressed this argument of yours. But, if you are not happy with that I am going to post something from a book which is called The Holy Qur'an with English Translation and Commentary bu Hadhrat Mirza Bushirudin Ahmad (ra).

Book:
Section: The Compilation of the Qur'an (about 9 pages to read)

Posted by an Ahmadhi Muslim. heart  

Pheonixia

Pheonixia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:47 pm
Ratri_Cat

And you accept what the Qu'ran states without question?

Yes. The Qur'an does not me to do something. Usually it edges believers to do something but that is not through a direct commandment by God. I usually find cultural practices odd, or some things my parents tell me to (or not tell me to) do odd. So I always check the Qur'an to see if their cultural practices fit what the Qur'an say.

Quote:
What about the inconsistencies? Do you accept that as the Word of God? The inconsistencies of the Qu'ran? Or will you deny it and continue to say that the Qu'ran is infallible word for word, despite contradictions.

You keep saying inconsistencies.......but which ones are you talking about? Please make a reference. You cannot just make a vague claim and then expect people to agree with you.

Quote:
Just because you have someone right next to you recording doesn't mean they'll get each and every word, even devoted to the cause. It's been proven over and over again. There's a chance, like if you're a trained typist in a courtroom, but I doubt Muhammad's followers had that kind of training.

Proof?
And the typist example is a poor example in this case. In that example if there was more then two typists typing up the case and then they compared at the end then it would be stated as being accurate. This was the case at the time of Muhammad's time. One person didn't write each section. People memorized the whole thing and then one person wrote it and others edited it (and corrected it if need be). In the case of Muhammad (saw) it has been noted that their were not one or two but 15 "typists" who had completely memorized the Qur'an. So in the long run when Ali was done writing the Qur'an he asked people to edit it for him and finally all 15 people agreed that the changes and text were accurate.

Quote:
Take for example, students scribbling down notes in a lecture for a class they need to do well in to succeed later in life. They're going to all have different perspectives of the lecture, and some will get most, some will get bits of pieces, much of it in short hand. You still have to interpret that shorthand, and if it is interpreted incorrectly, the student could be lead astray, especially as if he/she was not the original writer of the notes.

Another bad example. Take also the fact that in the west because of laptops access now half the students don't even listen to the lecture but enjoy Facebook and games. Also, these students have MANY other things on their mind such as what they learned in their previous class, etc. and thus they do not absorb the information correctly. Also, include the fact that very few students actually go about checking if their notes are correct by comparing them to other students.

During the time of the Holy Prophet (saw) the only thing that was mainly being written or learned was the Qur'an. So there was no interference from other things that they should have learned. Also, the "students" compared "notes" later on.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:50 pm
Ratri_Cat

and every one of the Prophet's close followers just happened to be that perfect. stare
nope, doesn't sound logical. I guess its a matter of Muslim faith.
Even in the Bible, we acknowledge the human fallibility and misinterpretation of God's word with followers.

You still didn't answer my question about the inconsistencies of the Qu'ran.

No person is said to be perfect except he Prophet (saw). If all the followers were perfect then so many sects would not have been created.  

Pheonixia

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:45 pm
Pheonixia
Ratri_Cat

and every one of the Prophet's close followers just happened to be that perfect. stare
Even in the Bible, we acknowledge the human fallibility and misinterpretation of God's word with followers.

No person is said to be perfect except he Prophet (saw). If all the followers were perfect then so many sects would not have been created.
Your prophet is human.
Only God is perfect.
And you claim your prophet is not God, therefore your Prophet cannot possibly be perfect. stare unless I'm missing something, it doesn't add up, except that maybe you guys have a fantasized version of him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:06 pm
ÉN verekszik részére Isten , országom és családom

The following inconsistencies that bother me:

Tolerance:

[And dispute not with the People of the Book, except with means better (than mere disputation), unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong and injury.] (Al-`Ankabut 29:46).

[The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah--which We have sent by inspiration to thee (O Muhammad)--and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus… Call (them to the Faith), and stand steadfast as thou art commanded, follow not thou their vain desires; but say: "I believe in whatever Book Allah has sent down; and I am commanded to judge justly between you. Allah is our Lord and your Lord: for us (is the responsibility for) our deeds, and for you for your deeds. There is no contention between us and you. Allah will bring us together, and to Him is (our) final goal.] (Ash-Shura 42:13 & 15)

Quran 02: 256 There is no Compulsion in religion…

Intolerant:
Quran 47: 4 When you meet the unbelievers in the Jihad strike off their heads….

Quran 8: 65 O Apostle ! rouse the believers to the fight of….unbelievers.

2:6-7 God blinded the unbelievers as he closed their hearts, their vision and their hearing. Why would the loving God, who wanted everyone to believe, do that?

The ideal marriage:

The Quran in Sura (Chapter) 2:223 says:

Your women are your fields, so go into your fields whichever way you like

The Quran in Sura 2:228 says:

. . . Wives have the same rights as the husbands have on them in accordance with the generally known principles. Of course, men are a degree above them in status . . . (Sayyid Abul A’La Maududi, The Meaning of the Qur’an, vol. 1, p. 165)

I will add more. This is just the surface. One of my biggest issues is how the Prophet seems to be excluded from the rules of marriage concerning the number of wives and *cough* concubines he had.

sources where I get my QUOTES for the Qu'ran: http://www.islam-watch.org/MohdZaidan/MZ_KoranContradiction.htm

http://infidelsarecool.com/2008/01/11/top-10-quran-quotes-every-woman-must-see/

...kit ugye verekszik részére?

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

Pheonixia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:37 pm
Ratri_Cat
Pheonixia
Ratri_Cat

Your prophet is human.
Only God is perfect.
And you claim your prophet is not God, therefore your Prophet cannot possibly be perfect. stare unless I'm missing something, it doesn't add up, except that maybe you guys have a fantasized version of him.

I understand what you're thinking.
We do not think he has a fantasized version.......
Think of it this way: From an early age God molds him to become the way God wants him to be........
God is all powerful thus he can make people become a specific type in life.....
Unlike in the Bible where all Prophets before Jesus are said to have sinned and were not saved from damnation because Jesus had not "saved" the world from eternal sin yet........we have a totally opposite view
Muslims believe that Prophets did not sin. The only reason they did not sin is because God chose them of all the people and guided them to the right path Himself through indirect converse through His angels.....

So if God can make Prophets who never sinned, He is also capable of making a perfect man. How can a man who has for the majority of his life been guided by God Himself not be perfect or at least close to perfect?

But, we do acknowledge that Muhammad (saw) was only human. But, he was a special case. In the Qur'an there is a verse whee God has stated: "If I was not going to create Muhammad then I would not have created the whole world"

Posted by an Ahmadi Muslim. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:24 pm
Thank you for providing the inconsistencies.......it makes my job much easier.....

Ratri_Cat
The following inconsistencies that bother me:

Tolerance:

[And dispute not with the People of the Book, except with means better (than mere disputation), unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong and injury.] (Al-`Ankabut 29:46).

[The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah--which We have sent by inspiration to thee (O Muhammad)--and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus… Call (them to the Faith), and stand steadfast as thou art commanded, follow not thou their vain desires; but say: "I believe in whatever Book Allah has sent down; and I am commanded to judge justly between you. Allah is our Lord and your Lord: for us (is the responsibility for) our deeds, and for you for your deeds. There is no contention between us and you. Allah will bring us together, and to Him is (our) final goal.] (Ash-Shura 42:13 & 15)

Quran 02: 256 There is no Compulsion in religion…

The verse's actually read:

(Note: All verses are quoted one down because the Holy Qur'an I am using has an introductory verse that Muhammad(saw) used to read)

(Also Note that everything I write in red is the meaning)

[29:47] And argue not with the people of the Book except with what is best as an argument, but argue not at all with such of them as are unjust. And say, 'We believe in that which has been revealed to us and that which has been revealed to you; and our God and your God is One, and to Him we submit.'

This verse is speaking of debating. It is saying that you should not push yourself to debate with those who are unjust (meaning the spit on your religion/beliefs, the swear at you, etc.)

[42:14] He has prescribed for you the religion which He enjoined on Noah, and which We have now revealed to thee, and which We enjoined on Abraham and Moses and Jesus, viz., 'Establish obedience to Allah in the earth, and be not divided therein. Hard upon the idolaters is that to which thou callest them. Allah chooses for Himself whom He pleases, and guides to Himself him who turns to Him.'
[42:16] To this religion, then, do thou invite mankind. And be thou steadfast in it as thou art commanded, and follow not their evil inclinations, but say, 'I believe in whatever book Allah has sent down, and I am commanded to judge justly between you; Allah is our Lord and your Lord. For us is the reward of our works, and for you the reward of your works. There is no quarrel between us and you. Allah will gather us together, and to Him is the return.'

These verses actually mean that the religion of all the previous Prophets was the same so there is no reason that religion should be a means to carry out wars. The God of all previous Prophets was the same. This verse is hinting at the fact that for Muslims there is no need to fight or force people into the religion of Islam because all righteous people of the Book (meaning the Bible (Jews/Christians)) will notice that the prophecies in their Bible concerning the Great Prophet of the future and some events have come true through the Prophet Muhammad (saw) and the religion of Islam. So all righteous people will come to Islam readily.

[2:257] There is no compulsion in religion. Surely, the right way has become distinct from error; so whosoever refuses to be led by those who transgress, and believes in Allah, has surely grasped a strong handle which knows no breaking. And Allah is All-Hearing. All-Knowing.

Meaning the people who want to convert from Islam to another religion should not be forced to remain Muslim. There is no compulsion in religion. It further goes to say that "the right way has become distinct from error" meaning the religion of Islam is the right way and contains no error.

Quote:
Intolerant:
Quran 47: 4 When you meet the unbelievers in the Jihad strike off their heads….

Quran 8: 65 O Apostle ! rouse the believers to the fight of….unbelievers.

2:6-7 God blinded the unbelievers as he closed their hearts, their vision and their hearing. Why would the loving God, who wanted everyone to believe, do that?

I can't believe someone and you actually tried comparing the next couple of verses with the top couple of verses. It's ridiculous! they are obviously talking about two very separate things. And they are obviously speaking about two very different atmosphere's. The first couple of verses were stated in an atmosphere of peace, meaning it was not directed in guiding Muslims during an atmosphere of war. Those verses stated (when summarized) that if no war is being carried out against Muslims they should not be the first to start a war (or argument). Obviously, since you are one of those people who just copy and paste from contradictory and stupid sources you wouldn't understand the HUGE rules in the Qur'an about war. For example there are many verses in the Qur'an which lay down the limits of war (Do not kill children, elderly, women (unless they try to kill you first, and still you must be gentle with them...it is better if you take them as prisoners then); do not destroy buildings, crops, places of worship, preachers, etc.; if the opposing side inclines towards peace so should you; anyone who wishes to stop fighting it is not right if you try to pursue them and kill them

And again the verses actually read:

[47:5] And when you meet in regular battle those who disbelieve, smite their necks; and, when you have overcome them, by causing great slaughter among them, bind fast the fetters - then afterwards either release them as a favour or by taking ransom - until the war lays down its burdens. That is the ordinance. And if Allah had so pleased, He could have punished them Himself, but He has willed that He may try some of you by others. And those who are killed in the way of Allah - He will never render their works vain.

This is obviously not at the time when a war is being carried out. You should note here that Muslims are not allowed to start a war. They can only participate in a war to defend their people. In the Qur'an it is stated that "It is better to go to war then to be persecuted". Now during battle this is what has been ordered: "And when you meet in regular battle those who disbelieve, smite their necks; and, when you have overcome them, by causing great slaughter among them, bind fast the fetters". This part means that during a war do not just stand there and allow the people who are trying to kill and persecute you to persecute you. The women and children you have left behind in the city are dependent on you so act. It should be noted here that a verse of the Qur'an points to the fact that most Muslims, even during times of war found it repulsive to kill others. It has been stated in the Qur'an by Allah about war that "A thing can be good for them but they know not." So smite their necks. During war (if you actually study hand-to-hand combat) smiting someone's neck is the quickest way to make them die. That is why many people in history when committing suicide have hung themselves. So when in the Qur'an Allah commands them to "smite their necks" he is telling Muslims to do this so that the opposing side will not suffer too much even when dying and will die quickly. This is much different from what the opposing side did to the Muslims to kill them. The opposing side were barbarians and savages. They liked watching Muslims die a slow painful death. They enjoyed dismembering Muslim bodies while they were alive (meaning cutting them to bits). On the other hand Muslims were commanded to be merciful even when killing people by making their death short. Next part of statement: "and, when you have overcome them, by causing great slaughter among them, bind fast the fetters". This means that when you are the side that is obviously the winner you should not continue slaughtering the rest but should bind them with fetters and make them prisoners of war. Next part: " then after ward's either release them as a favor or by taking ransom - until the war lays down its burdens. That is the ordinance. And if Allah had so pleased, He could have punished them Himself, but He has willed that He may try some of you by others. And those who are killed in the way of Allah - He will never render their works vain." Meaning if the prisoners of war pay a ransom then you are obliged to release them. It should be noted that Muslims are ordered to even treat prisoners of war as they treat themselves (meaning to clothe them, and to feed them well). And through hadith and verses of the Qur'an it has been stated that during that time period Muslims were obliged to release prisoners if the prisoner payed a fee (or ransom); the prisoner's family come to Medina and begged for the return of that person (even without paying a fee); the prisoner if he/she could read/write had to teach a set number of Muslims how to read/write; and sometimes they even allowed prisoner's to leave if the prisoner just asked if he could leave. God further states that the Muslims who die in the cause of Allah surely did not waste their lives.

[8:66] O Prophet, urge the believers to fight. If there be of you twenty who are steadfast, they shall overcome two hundred; And if there be a hundred of you, they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they are a people who do not understand.

I don't even understand how this verse is supposed to show intolerance. In this verse it is stated that the Prophet should urge the Muslim people to take up arms so as to defend themselves. The reason the Prophet had to urge them was because 1) some did not like killing other people and 2) the Muslims were small in number at the time and so many had doubts that they could actually win the war. But, through this verse Allah promised the Muslims that even though hey were small in number they would definitely win. And this is exactly what history say. Few against hundreds and yet Muslims still one.

[2:7] Those who have disbelieved - it being alike to them whether thou warn them or warn them not - they will not believe.
[2:8] Allah has set a seal on their hearts and their ears, and over their eyes is a covering; and for them is a grievous chastisement.

Again I don't see what this even has to do with intolerance. If I were you (meaning a person who had limited knowledge of the quotes in the Qur'an and history of Islam) then even I could probably find MUCH better quotes from the Qur'an to support both sides. I don't think there is a need to explain this verse (?)

Conclusion: You fail. First of all you showed to me that you are not willing to do adequate research on your own about Islam, but rely on sites that are highly contradictory and not even accurate. If you had done the research before posting these quotes then you would have realized that these quotes support nothing.
Secondly you failed to show me how one side is tolerant and the other isn't.
Definition of tolerance (according to the Merriam Webster Dictionary):
1: capacity to endure pain or hardship : endurance , fortitude , stamina
2 a: sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own b: the act of allowing something : toleration
3: the allowable deviation from a standard ; especially : the range of variation permitted in maintaining a specified dimension in machining a piece

Quote:
The ideal marriage:

The Quran in Sura (Chapter) 2:223 says:

Your women are your fields, so go into your fields whichever way you like

The Quran in Sura 2:228 says:

. . . Wives have the same rights as the husbands have on them in accordance with the generally known principles. Of course, men are a degree above them in status . . . (Sayyid Abul A’La Maududi, The Meaning of the Qur’an, vol. 1, p. 165)

I'm going to ignore the reference you made to that random guy...I don't need the reference I need the quote only. I don't recognize him as a religious authority on the matter.

Again the proper quotes are:

[2:224] Your wives are a sort of tilth for you; so approach your tilth when and as you like and send ahead some good for yourselves; and fear Allah and know that you shall meet Him; and bear good tidings to those who believe.

This verse is actually very beautiful. What is better for a man then what he works hard on and treats with care and consideration so that it will bear him fruit or crops. How a man would treat his field if he had one. A woman is compared to a tilth. A man is told that like in a field you also sow your seed into a woman and eventually the woman will bear fruit (meaning children). So you should take care of your tilth (woman) with effort, care, and consideration. If a man neglects or abuses his field then the crop will die. Similarly, if a man abuses or neglects his wife his marriage will die. Send ahead some good for yourselves means bear children that will be righteous servants of Allah as you are. Regarding the statement "so approach your tilth when and as you like" is answered by my commentary stating that a man should treat his woman like he would treat his field to make it a successful field. It does not mean you have the right to abuse your woman when and as you like. Allah says in the next statement that "and fear Allah and know that you shall meet Him; and bear good tidings to those who believe." Meaning that if you act wrongly to your wife or wives then know that Allah will be your judge so you should fear and thus act in a good manner.

[2:229] And the divorced women shall wait concerning themselves for three courses; and it is not lawful for them that they conceal what Allah has created in their wombs, if they believe in Allah and the Last Day; and their husbands have the greater right to take them back during that period, provided they desire reconciliation. And they (the women) have rights similar to those (of men) over them in equity; but men have a degree of advantage above them. And Allah is Mighty and Wise.

This verse is about divorced women and what Islam sets as rules for divorce. Where ever you quoted this apparently failed to mention that part.
But I guess the person ignored the first part completely and decided just to answer to the last part. So I shall somewhat do that too. "...but men have a degree of advantage above them". Which is so true. In conservative societies, if a women is divorced she is labeled as "used" etc. So men who are still virgins do not want to marry someone that is used. Also, men who have also been divorced do not want to marry divorced women. The whole rumor thing starts up and the women are usually blamed to be the cause of the divorce because apparently the are "awful wives". Even in today's societies most people who view marriage as means of making children and not just love want to usually get married with a virgin (or un-divorced person). Men on the other hand are not blamed as much as women are even it was their fault the marriage broke apart. And men in Islam have been commanded to be the ones who HAVE to go and work and make money for the family. Women can work but the money is only hers and she can use it how she pleases. Meaning the man has no say over the woman's money. So usually women who want to have kids look for men who can support them financially. So that is what is meant by men have an advantage above them.

Quote:
I will add more. This is just the surface. One of my biggest issues is how the Prophet seems to be excluded from the rules of marriage concerning the number of wives and *cough* concubines he had.

The Prophet (saw) followed all the rules that were laid out in the Qur'an. In the Qur'an or hadith it is said a man can marry up to four women at a time if the man can treat them all equally mentally and financially. The Prophet (saw) followed that rule. If he is listed as having more then four wives it is not because he married them all together, but because some of his wives died so he married new women. But, he treated them all equally.

Quote:
sources where I get my QUOTES for the Qu'ran: http://www.islam-watch.org/MohdZaidan/MZ_KoranContradiction.htm

Where I get my quotes from.....and where you should check the quotes you use..........before you post them.....

It will save A LOT of time.

http://www3.alislam.org/index.jsp  

Pheonixia

The Dead Terrorist Achmed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:52 pm
Actually Ratri, I'm pretty glad that you posted this stuff up. Phoenixa, nice job being an apologetic for the Muslim faith.

It's good to see the lack of knowledge being filled with the light of Allah.

Ratri, informed as you are about the Islam faith, you still ask/demand answers like many people who are misinformed about the faith.

it does not help that many sources that are available to general public take bits of the qur'an and manipulate the text, thus giving those who are not well-versed with the Qu'ran and Islam a slanted view, which totally corresponds with why and what you posted.

Your posts, challenging us to actually give a proper definition to things is great. I really think that there needs to be more material that gives a better view of muslims and our beliefs. Phoenixa, you did a fabulous job with your defense. It's too bad that there aren't more sources like you, both online and in books.

As sad as it is to see vehemence in some of the posts, i think this kind of interfaith dialogue is needed. Too many people are ill-informed about the faith and too many fundamentalist Muslims continue to misconstrue the true meaning of Allah's word.

I will only speak on the behalf of your quotes of Quranic texts, as I'm not well-versed in as you [Ratri] call it, secular history. that is another issue all on its own...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 pm
Phoenixia, thank you for that link and your corrections. I mean that in the most honest way possible. I really appreciate this kind of stuff. I like my ignorance being counteracted like this. I learned alot from your replies. So thank you.

I should add, though, in the beginning of your first reply, you did talk about the confusing matter in which your prophet spoke (if i misinterpreted, please correct me).

Do you think that would influence the way fundamentalist Muslims have acted in the Middle East?

And I forgot that the treatment of women often reflects tribal values and not religious values and have made the gross mistake of generalizing ordinary Muslims with those who do interpret the Qu'ran for their own means. For that, i sincerely apologize. And I apologize if I sounded...aloof...like a know-it-all.

I recently had a bad experience with a Muslim man and I'm letting some of my personal feelings boil over and made a poor attempt to mix it with fact.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUT. On your answer about the jinns. It is most definitely a pre-Islamic concept.
I will first quote from the Britannica Online Encyclopedia, a very neutral and well-informed source.
Britannica Online Encyclopedia

jinniArabian mythology plural Jinn, also called Genie, Arabic Jinnī,
Main

in Arabic mythology, a supernatural spirit below the level of angels and devils. Ghūl (treacherous spirits of changing shape), ʿifrīt (diabolic, evil spirits), and siʿlā (treacherous spirits of invariable form) constitute classes of jinn. Jinn are beings of flame or air who are capable of assuming human or animal form and are said to dwell in all conceivable inanimate objects—stones, trees, ruins—underneath the earth, in the air, and in fire. They possess the bodily needs of human beings and can even be killed, but they are free from all physical restraints. Jinn delight in punishing humans for any harm done them, intentionally or unintentionally, and are said to be responsible for many diseases and all kinds of accidents; however, those human beings knowing the proper magical procedure can exploit the jinn to their advantage.

Belief in jinn was common in early Arabia, where they were thought to inspire poets and soothsayers. Even Muḥammad originally feared that his revelations might be the work of jinn. Their existence was further acknowledged in official Islām, which indicated that they, like human beings, would have to face eventual salvation or damnation. Jinn, especially through their association with magic, have always been favourite figures in North African, Egyptian, Syrian, Persian, and Turkish folklore and are the centre of an immense popular literature, appearing notably in The Thousand and One Nights. In India and Indonesia they have entered local Muslim imaginations by way of the Qurʾānic descriptions and Arabic literature.

Here is the link to Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Now I will go onto another source. This one definitely has a more anti-Muslim tone, but it still states the same thing: the concept of Jinn is not unique to Islam and existed before Islam. Muhammad merely modified it, or in as you stated, "purified" it.
In The Name of Allah

The Bedouins also believed that the desert was full of living creatures/spirits called Jinn whose purpose was to blight their lives with mischief and difficulties. Since nomadic people bury their dead on the move and hence have no special resting-places such as graveyards, they subsequently had no special reverence for their dead nor any concept of an afterlife, of resurrection, a day of judgment or heaven and hell; these came with 'Islam'.

There's a lot more, especially on the name of Allah (i have more on this in my other posts with Xero about the pagan roots of Islam). Even if this soure would not be considered as "reputable" as Britannica Online Encyclopedia, it still says similar stuff. That you cannot deny. In the Name of Allah website

And third, which is a study done on Islam's roots. I cannot honestly verify how reputable this source is, BUT what should be taken to consideration the EVIDENCE that is provided, not by what the authors conclude, but by other people who have written on the same subject (you can see that in the foot notes. There's a lot of evidence)

Studies on Islam

It is often assumed that belief in the jinn who were thought to dwell in the desert originated with the Bedouin and was passed from them to the settled tribes. This assumption does not seem to me to be well founded. The Bedouin who are familiar with the desert feel much less fear there than do village or city dwellers who regard this unknown region as terrifying and who imagine that all sorts of monsters and demons dwell there. This tendency existed already in the Ancient East. 59 And there is another fact that deserves attention: among Arab peoples today, belief in spirits is much more intense among the agricultural population than among the Bedouin. 60 It is further worth noting that, according to W. F. Albright who bases his ideas on certain facts already established by Th. Noldeke and M. Lidzbarski, the word jinn is not Arabic but derived from Aramaic. Aramaic-speaking Christians used the term to designate pagan gods reduced to the status of demons. He concludes from this that the jinn themselves were introduced into Arabic folklore only late in the pre-Islamic period. 62 However that may be,' one must reckon seriously with this possibility, for it is supported by other observations of detail.' Even if one accepts an autochthonous pre-Christian animism among the Bedouin (which seems reasonable to me), this animism could have been reinforced by contributions from sedentary Arabs, and one should not see in it either the core or the root of the pre-Islamic Bedouin religion. The possibility of the secondary diffusion even of beliefs and practices which one would prefer to designate as very primitive is not purely theoretical. We have a clear example of it in the spread of Zar ceremonies (with their ideology) into Egypt and Arabia. This diffusion which occurred only since the nineteenth century was effected by African slaves. 64 We now know that what is "primitive" in the sense of a value judgment is not necessarily so in the chronological sense.

There is again, the familiar tone of Islam's pagan roots. And that jinn again, are not a concept unique to Islam. If you have the patience to go through this paper, it is worth looking into. Studies on Islam website

Allright, I want to sum it up on jinns: the concept existed before Islam.

NOW IF YOU WANT TO DEBATE ABOUT PAGAN ROOTS OF ISLAM, GO TO THE OTHER FORUM, WHERE XERO CREATED AND I STARTED TALKING ABOUT THIS. IT WOULD BE BEST TO KEEP THIS DEBATE IN ONE AREA.

AND IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME ABOUT THE PAGAN ROOTS OF CHRISTIANITY, EITHER CREATE AN ENTIRE NEW FORUM OR JUST PM ME. I KNOW ABOUT PAGAN ROOTS OF CHRISTIANITY, AND I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT.

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE IF YOU'RE GOING TO DEBATE ABOUT THIS, USE SECULAR SOURCES. I'VE ALREADY MADE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR THAT I'M NOT A MUSLIM AND NOT IN LINE WITH MUSLIM THOUGHT.
DO NOT MIX APPLES AND ORANGES. TALK WITH ME ON A LEVEL THAT I UNDERSTAND WITH HISTORY.

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

Mini_Angel_1994

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:15 am
Let me clear something out, Eve and Adam is a true story. God first created Adam, then he created Eve from a part of Adam's body. Then they gave birth. Then, it was ok for brothers and sisters to get married and have children, because well, it was the first of creation, then when God sent other prophets, he declared it was forbidden. And marrying your step sister is forbidden. But even though it wasn't forbidden, I wouldn't marry my step brother!!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:19 am
Mini_Angel_1994
Let me clear something out, Eve and Adam is a true story. God first created Adam, then he created Eve from a part of Adam's body. Then they gave birth. Then, it was ok for brothers and sisters to get married and have children, because well, it was the first of creation, then when God sent other prophets, he declared it was forbidden. And marrying your step sister is forbidden. But even though it wasn't forbidden, I wouldn't marry my step brother!!
Yup, time by time the prophets gave their massege from Allah...  

Zaakii

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:35 pm
Mini_Angel_1994
rolleyes

believe what you want. It's still a poetic story of creation in my book and for the rest of us Catholics.

☪)Islamic Discussion(☪

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff